Contact Me

Saturday, December 30, 2023

What Did I Eat Today?

 So, you don't care? 

In the grand scheme of things, and ranking in importance, it is not really important.

But, I ate an orange. Why is that important? Well, it had been a while since I drank orange juice. It was mandarin time. So, I ate one. Immediately, I was congested, nose running, sinuses hurting. I have known for years that I was allergic to citrus. But, the swiftness and pain of this reaction made me swear off citrus. 

When the beautiful navel oranges appeared, I thought. Why not just one navel orange? 

So, I will note when and if, and how bad the reaction will be. 

Of course, I love oranges. But, I also love the pith, specifically the white pith of the orange. I deliberately peel the navel orange with a knife in order the neatly separate the orange part from the white so that I can eat the white along with inside of orange. 

I decided just now to see if the white pith had the benefits I once read. Lo and Behold:

"Recent research found that diosmin from the white pith (rind) of oranges can effectively increase micro-circulation in the body by increasing lymphatic contractions. That is huge, because your lymphatic system doesn’t have anything to pump it the way your circulatory system (blood) has a beating heart."

how healthy is the white part under a navel orange rind - Search (bing.com)

In the process of determining how healthy the pith was, I learned even more about the lymph system, symptoms, and ideas for 'curing' my problem with the pith.

When we eat Halos/tangerines, I have finished the whole thing while Tommy is picking every little string from the fruit. I actually like the stringy part. 

I did eat other things. When I wanted blueberry/vanilla goat cheese, I only ate four lightly salted Wheat Thins. Now, I could eat more crackers, but I determined I would eat reduced-sodium Wheat Thins and fewer. 

The orange, crackers, and goat cheese were what I ate while our late dinner vegetables were baking. 

Do you like the thick, white part under the zest of any orange, especially a navel orange? 

Did you know before this that it contained 30% of the vitamin C in an orange? 

Do you eat , as I do, the stringy pieces between the sections of tangerines? 


10 comments:

  1. Since citrus is on sale now, and we have no allergies to it, Hubs bought 2 eight lb. bags this week for $4.99 each. My plan was to use the juice and peels for marmalade. Thank you for posting this. We may just go for orange jelly w/o the peels! --Elise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elise,
      Are you going to eat the white pith? I wish I did not have allergies and could eat all I want. Happy jelly making!

      Delete
  2. I don't care for the stringy white part, but I won't go out of my way to remove all of it like I saw one lady do at school one day. She must not have liked the white part at all. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belinda,
      Tommy hates the white, stringy part. I can finish a whole tangerine or Halo, and he is still trying to get all the white stuff off the tangerine.

      Delete
  3. Oof! You sure do like your sour/bitter flavors, Linda. If you like the pith, why don't you just eat the orange rind and all?

    I think the lymphatic system contractions happen because the lymph glands are writhing in disgust! LOL!!

    Personally, I hate the stringy part, and hate the pith more. It's just too bitter.

    I once made a raw cranberry relish recipe that called for a whole navel orange and cranberries, ground up in the food processor, with sugar to taste. Well, no amount of sugar could tame the bitterness of the pith. It was horrible. If I were to try making it again, I would zest the orange and discard the remaining peel, just to avoid that awful pith.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The white pith has no flavor. Really. It is the yellow outside that is bitter.

    Obviously, my lymphatic system is stagnant. Taste just the white, not the outside of the orange, the zest. The ornge zest is the bitter part in your relish. Seriously, try it alone with nothing orange.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I do eat the stringy pieces between the sections of tangerines.
    Interesting about the white pith benefits.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Since hubby and I gave up sugar so many years ago, we do not eat oranges. The only fruit we allow in moderation are strawberries, blueberries, and blackberries. I never minded the white parts on oranges, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alice,
      I do love bananas and apples, so have half of each every day. I have blueberries and strawberries here now. I don't understand not eating the pith, but everyone has their own dislikes. The pith is good for us.

      Delete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.