Contact Me

Tuesday, December 5, 2023

Christmas Tradition that I Despise

 No, I am not a Grinch at all. I love Christmas as much as anyone does. But, I suffered through one Christmas tradition that I hope to never participate in ever again. 

A guy invited me to go to his mother's house where his whole family was celebrating Christmas. Of course, we arrived early. I had a basket with a cake stand in it. I had brought tiny cupcakes to put on the stand. I went into the kitchen with his mother and got out my contribution. Not thirty minutes later, I noticed the cupcakes were on a styrofoam Christmas plate. 

I went into the kitchen and asked his mother why? She said she washed the cake stand and got everything ready for me to leave! I was incensed but did not react with the fury I felt. I doubt she was trying to get rid of me. Maybe? The thing is, she had nothing nice out for the Christmas table. I told her not to ever pack my food and serving dish ever again. Oh, I was livid, but did not express myself in a way to ruin the spirit of the occasion. 

Now to the despicable tradition in their family. First, the cast.

His mother, my friend was her son, his single sister, mother of the nephew who was a veteran, nephew's wife and two young teen boys, friend's two daughters, one a bratty fourteen-year-old, the other daughter was the mother of the most obnoxious four-year-old I have ever seen. The wife of the vet made a show of asking me if I needed to go to the bathroom since both of her sons in braces would need the bathroom for a bit to brush their teeth. ??? It turned out that the time the boys needed was three minutes.

Okay, all these people with their peccadillos were just people who were in his life, people I would never have to be with again. Besides, we were here to have fun. We did.

Then, the horror began. Their tradition was that only one person at a time opened a present. Some of the guests have half a dozen gifts under the tree. It was so painful and loooong. That was 11 people to open gifts. The four-year-old could not pay attention to opening a gift so g-grandmother, grandmother, uncle, aunt, cousin, and at times, others urged her to open the gift instead of running around getting in between anyone who tried to have a conversation with each other. I am telling you it was slow chaos. It just went on and on and on. 

This was in 2005, and I have still not recovered! Until then, I had never come across a Christmas tradition I disliked in the least. I know people love their traditions. We had ours, some silly, but nothing painful. 

Don't pretend you have never come across a tradition that you did not like. Okay, maybe you did. But, anyone, let me hear a tradition you do not like or would prefer to eliminate or change. 

This was my first and last Christmas I had with this man. I would have gone with him again, but I would steel myself for the occasion. I know some people have said this is a tradition at their house, so I wanted to post this before I stepped on toes. Okay, I am not stepping on specific toes this way, just generally. 

What tradition do you or did you not like? Or, prefer not to happen with you there?  

Play nice. This a 15-year trauma. 

Brushing my body--did it last night and will do tonight. I have had a severe pain in my left leg, so painful that I fear I may lose my foot or leg!


15 comments:

  1. Many families do unwrapping one person at a time. Gives everyone a chance to see what others got. We usually started with youngest and go on from there.
    I really can't think of a tradition I don't care for. It is one time a year and I go along with the program and don't mind any of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl,
      This is the only time that a tradition was off-putting to me. And, at my mother's house with at least ten people, I never failed to see what everyone received.

      Delete
  2. The first Christmas with Bailey I was still married to her Dad and he did that at my parents house with her presents. It was pure torture because we had never done Christmas presents that way. Since then we have sort of adopted the tradition, but I don't consider it tortune like I did back then.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The first time my ex did that at Christmas was torture, but we have sort of adopted it now and I don't consider it torture like i did back then. I think it's easier if someone only has one present to open, but half a dozen might get old.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belinda,
      This was several gifts for each of them to open, but one now and then another later, then another. All this was while taking turns with other people. And the child did not want to tear up the wrapping, so this was over five minutes for each of her gifts.

      Delete
  4. We do the unwrapping one at a time, but it's because there are so few of us. Otherwise we'd be done in 5 minutes, LOL. We have done it at my in-laws with a big group a few times and I didn't mind it. We drew names for the adults so there weren't very many presents for the adults to open anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't think of a tradition that I find annoying. For my family gathering, we all buy for the kids (18 and younger) and then usually draw names among adults. We do let the kids go first, but mostly because we just all want to see their reactions to the gifts. Then they have the gifts to keep them busy while we're opening our own gifts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alice,
      That sounds like a doable tradition! I like it. Do the kids have to unwrap one gift at a time, or is there a free-for-all. Free-for-all sounds good.

      Delete
  6. I can't imagine sitting through Christmas gift unwrapping with a bunch of icky people you don't know and don't care a fig about. I would have rather stayed home with the TV and a glass of wine! Family foibles should not be foisted on a captive audience.

    That said, in my home, we unwrap one gift at at time. But there are no weird, mannerless people in MY home! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      I only knew his mother, and I liked her. I did know the teen and figured she was a teen to be dealt with because she was a teen. The rest was a total shock. His family embarrassed him. He wanted me to marry him, but only wanted his fingers on my home which was in great shape at that time. Okay, different story there!
      Okay, if someone kept it all under control, I can see doing the one gift at a time. Maybe.
      There would be no wine, but tv sounds good.

      Delete
  7. I personally would hate the idea of one person opening one gift at a time as I would hate everyone watching for my reaction of "wow ! Thank you ! " whether I really felt that way or not. Although of course I appreciate at all times the gesture and thought behind the gift but to have everyone watching , No Thanks ! It would to me personally be excrutiating, but Hey, Every one is different. Many moons ago, Many ! I started a tradition at Christmas of cooking Moussaka as I scoured my cook books at the time for something different. The family liked it more than I did. Now, still ! ! With grown up kids they want Moussaka at Christmas ! I don't care for Moussaka ! I have moved on GRRRR ! I hope I'm not a Grinch but if I am, I'll wear it with pride :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tuliika,
      It was excruciating. Hey, the mistake you made was making a food you did not like...lol. Personally, chocolate and pumpkin pie are traditions I pushed. I am laughing because I have no idea of the dish you made. Looks like your generosity backfired since everyone likes and expects it. I might be a Grinch if it is a food I have to cook and don't like. Thanks for that.

      Delete
    2. Tuliika,
      I looked up the recipe for moussaka and saw eggplant. Nope, not me.

      Delete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.