Contact Me

Monday, December 11, 2023

Tommy's Birthday and a Parade

 Like I said, he did not get anything from me because we did not go out to shop for him. I will get him the book still, and the trip to Tiger Rag is a long trip from here. 

However, the day before his birthday, a huge box was on the porch when we arrived home. He had a load in his walker to put away. So, I came behind him and read the box--

HONEY BAKED HAM

I was excited because I have been thinking about getting one. 

Well, this was a turkey breast, 40 ounces. So, he got 2.5 pounds turkey breast. I have had Honey Baked Ham, but never turkey breast. It came in a huge box, large enough for a ham. The cardboard box had a Styrofoam cooler in it, plus two of the largest ice packs I have ever seen. So, we have a new cooler. I always save these type cooler boxes.

Sunday night, we opened the package of turkey breast that had been thawing in the refrigerator. I did cut the slices in half just to make it all easier to handle and store. It is delicious and what we are having for dinner on Sunday. 

This was a gift from some sort of retirement fund guy with whom Tommy deals. The cost (yes, I checked) was $55. This is listed under corporate gifts. I had a huge salad with it and will continue to eat it with salad, probably. Tommy will enjoy this on rolls and wraps, I am quite sure. Yes, he just came in with a huge sub roll and slaw on the side. 

Hopefully, on Monday, we can go shopping for him. 

We got up early on Saturday, his birthday, to go to the parade. We both packed a sandwich, mine the night before, so we would not have to take time to eat here or buy something. Since we were right in front of McDonald's, steps away in their parking lot, this would have been so easy. I took an egg salad sandwich and water. Tommy took a turkey sandwich from the turkey I baked on Monday or Tuesday. 

Of course, it may have started on time, but not where we were on the route. I called and found out the route. I chose to park at a corner where it turned, right between Arby's and McDonald's and down the street from Taco Bell. Krystal was also on the parade route, right behind McDonald's. As you can imagine, people were streaming in and out of these establishments the hour and a half we waited in our great place to watch.

McDonald's was an ideal spot. We were on a corner at least 15 feet up and on a scary steep slope. No one could stand in front of us...lol. The Pig parking lot had people in SUVs lining the road, most backed in with children and food they brought in the back. Some people watched from their places in the back of their SUVs. Most came out with chairs eventually, place holders next to the curb so they could later sit there. 

Children were all over. One little boy who insisted on running and at one point was saved from traffic in the street by his frantic mother was deposited in the back of the SUV and guarded by a father who refused to let him out. When the parade came within hearing, he was allowed out and held onto firmly, even when candy was thrown. 

We also watched the little girl (2-3 yr) in pink rain boots. The ground was damp from recent rain. I was freezing with a jacket on and the car heater on. Tommy did not even bring a jacket. He was fine. People in the damp grass had on shorts, short sleeves, and one was barefoot! Another was sitting on the ground!  At the end of the parade, walkers in the parade were gasping and fanning themselves by flapping the bottoms of shirts and wiping perspiration from their faces. 

The first person in the first vehicle in the parade was a child who threw about one piece of candy every ten feet. Most of the people threw one piece at a time and looked to be targeting one person to catch it. Thankfully, a little girl on a float for some sort of beauty pageant was throwing handsful very quickly to both sides. Eventually there were adults who did the same, thankfully. 

The fee was only $25 to enter. There were 100 floats, a very long parade. It was a very good experience. Floats were mostly black trailers with the ramp that folds up to a high back. 

About ten entries in I asked Tommy if there were not a lots of Grinch costumes, male and female. It turned out that Grinch was the theme of the parade this year. 

This was lots of fun. Antique cars, motorcycles, big industrial trucks for cleaning septic tanks, realtors, politicians, everything imaginable for Christmas joy. One woman I suspected of drinking early yelled 'Merry Christmas' multiple times to each and every entry, hoping to get candy thrown her way. 

Tommy said one little girl on our side was putting her candy down her shirt in front. I was sure this was a bad idea since it would fall out. She was not two, but near nine, so she could figure this out. Well, she finally turned around, she had her hoodie on backwards and was filling her hood. A little boy with her was doing the same. Good idea. 

We left here before 8:30 am and came home at noon. I went immediately to bed, hoping for a long nap. I awoke at 2 pm and took another nap later...lol. 

I sang Happy Birthday again. 

We went to a BBQ place to get two meals. He went into Publix for two slices of Carrot Cake. He had a good birthday he said. 

It was nice of the town to throw a parade on his birthday. I asked Tommy how it felt to be 70. He said he did not want to think about it because he would always be 69. It was a good day. I took two naps since I was not getting a good sleep even with naps. 

Have you attended a Christmas parade this season?

Have you ever been in a parade? 

12 comments:

  1. Happy (belated) Birthday to Tommy! The parade sounds wonderful. I've been to them before, but haven't been to one in years. They have parades here a lot, though (where we retired to), so I'm sure we'll get to one soon. Nice of the town to have a parade on Tommy's birthday. --Elise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elise,
      He says Thanks. I am proud they had a parade for his birthday, too. I have not been to a parade here. It seems I always miss the date. But, we made it this year.

      Delete
  2. Where was the parade. We had looked for one but didn't hear of one close to us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      It was in Hueytown on Allison Bonnett.

      Delete
  3. Oh, the parade sounds fun! And the girl with hoodie on backward is one smart cookie. The turkey sounds delicious, what a nice gift!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belinda,
      She had a good idea. Another child with her did the same thing. The turkey is delicious, but a lot of sodium.

      Delete
  4. sounds like Tommy had a nice birthday! The turkey gift was sure nice. It has been a lot of years since going to a parade. Too many people for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl,
      We were out of the crowd, so far above and at top of steep slope so that no one could block our view. It was a great perch.

      Delete
  5. I have not been to a parade this year. Our town's parade is always the first Friday night of December, so they had it on my birthday this year. How nice of them. Instead of watching the parade, we went to Texas Roadhouse for supper.

    I have been in dozens of parades, starting in high school band. We marched in all the local Christmas parades and also traveled to New Orleans to march in the Mardi Gras parade, and to Disneyworld to play there. One year we were chosen to participate in the Peach Bowl halftime performance. What a great experience for a bunch of kids from rural Kentucky!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alice,
      That would be a hard choice. However, a parade at night or late in the day would make me choose eating out.
      Wow! You are a real pro at parades. I was in a float in one parade, holding baby while son walked with father watching him. I can imagine that was a real experience, rural background or not.

      Delete
  6. It sounds like Tommy had a great birthday. I have been in a parade once, with my kids. It was a small town parade and pretty fun. That was nice of the retirement fund guy to send the turkey. My dd and sil have some money invested, so they have an "investment gal" and she sends them a wreath every Christmas. My mom gets a card every year, no gift. She must not have enough money to warrant a gift! LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One,
      He really enjoyed the parade and the bbq. The parade I was in was definitely small town. Stores all closed at 5 pm, even grocery stores. I sang three times to Tommy...lol. Oh, your mother does not have enough money? lol

      Delete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.