Contact Me

Friday, December 29, 2023

Plumber, This and That


                 

 The water delivery part is much higher than it appears in this photo.                                                                                                                                                      

Twice today, I have spilled food on my new necklace! Once was milk that ran out of my mouth, down my face, dripped off my chin, and then onto the necklace. Actually, it did not run out of my mouth. I just tipped the glass up too far. The other time was something gooey to wipe off. At least I can give my new necklace/chain a bath and not worry about food making it turn permanently. My last good necklace was full of mends so it looked knotty. Gone.

Today was only 50F with a breeze, sometimes mild and sometimes stiff. Tommy came to the car complaining that he did not know it would be so cold. He had on a short-sleeve shirt. I told him to go get a coat. He did, but I am sure it was because he was so cold. The wind blew right through my clothing. 

The plumber was scheduled for 10 am. He called about 10:45 and said the job he started yesterday was taking longer than he thought. Finally, I went to sleep in my chair. Tommy told me he called and was five minutes from here. I had no idea where I was or what Tommy was talking about. I had only slept two hours last night and had Tommy wake me for when the plumber was supposed to come. So, I was discombobulated. ugh! 

I told the guy how it went down with the mess of water. No, I did not spill water. I checked for that when it happened. No, I could not see where it was running from. So, the four of us stood there and watched the hot water run full force for about five minutes, just like it happened when it flooded the counter. I had bought a faucet yesterday, so told them to put it in. We had the kind of long handle that controls hot to cold and turns from right to left. There is a joint there that sort of has a ball configuration. Usually, that is where this kind of faucet leaks. The plumber and helper kept wiping their fingers back there. They could only get a smear of water on their black gloves. We could not replicate the leak!

I meant to get a shiny chrome stainless steel faucet like the sink. The faucet is nice. I hate the pull-down sprayers. But, I ended up with the right faucet, just in a brushed steel. I was not going to sit around and wait for them to buy another faucet at Lowe's. I should have because this will be here a long time. Besides, it was installed before I figured it out. 

I asked plumber to show me where the filter in the dishwasher is located. He had no idea, even after looking. I thought he showed it to me when he installed the dishwasher. So, I can look on the internet since I have no idea where I put the manual. I miss my file cabinet. 

The caulk or whatever it is called was put around the commode, too. He thought it should not be there. He said if the seal failed, I would never know it and it would leak under the house. I know it would rot the support for the commode. ask me how I know. But, I know that roaches and fleas were coming in there. Plus, someone told me snakes could come in the house there. Tommy is deathly afraid of snakes, so he said nothing about that. They had to go to Lowe's for a tube of caulking. 

He put this commode in. One of the bolts holding the seat on is loose and the seat swivels. So, he tightened that. Neither of us can bend to reach it. We really know how!

Tommy got out a card to pay. The plumber only takes cash and check. We all looked at each other for a second after Tommy said he did not have enough cash and no checks. Then, I pulled out my checkbook. It is a good thing I did not make a payment today that I was going to make. 

Tommy ordered checks before they ran out. When he ran out of checks, he called again. Somehow, he will get the money back to my checking account. This has never happened before. He rarely writes a check. Nor do I. However, last week, forgot where, the vendor would not take a card. I wonder why. 

So, $389.00 later, we have a new faucet. The Moen faucet was on sale, probably clearance, for $89. That is $478.00 today. 

Then, we headed off to Belk's for something I wanted on sale. Somehow, I cannot order online at Belk's even though I have no problems ordering other places online. The woman helped Tommy order online by doing it for him. My card would not work! I panicked. It was only expired, so the lady did an override to update the card. Neither of my Belk cards worked. So, I had to take care of that when I came home.

We figured up how many boxes of freezer and storage bags in quart and gallon sizes--22 boxes. However, only one box has quart storage. hmmm...how did I do that?

I opened the coin bank jar where I put change all year. This is the rare coin I find and change that I get in transactions. I had a grand total of $6.98. Tommy has a penny jar and another for other coins. He has put this away for several years. He said he never has a chance to spend it. 

Dinner: last tiny bit of green bean casserole, baked zucchini, turkey. Tommy had the same and sweet potato. That is the very end of Thanksgiving.  We had four meals, and there is more turkey breast in refrigerator and some in freezer. Besides the meals, we have both been having turkey sandwiches and turkey on salads. 

How much of Christmas dinner do you have left? 

How much do you have in your coin jar? Do you have a method of saving coins?

Have you found places that no longer take cards, just checks or cash?

6 comments:

  1. Hubby just had to replace our kitchen faucet..

    ReplyDelete
  2. The faucet is so nice! I’m glad you were able to get it installed. Ouch on the price though, but what else can you do? We pay out like that for good home repairs too. Your dinners sound so good. We are out of leftovers now and alreaback to cooking regular meals again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belinda,
      I like the fact it has the two handles for the water. The one control was never to my liking. It must be something no one liked. My daddy spoiled us on repairs because he did it all.
      Another Thanksgiving dinner without the green bean casserole would be great. But, it was too salty for me even with modifications. Tonight is back to cooking regular for us, too.

      Delete
  3. I am glad you have a new faucet that you like.
    Brushed stainless (or nickel) is great! It's a softer look.

    There are no two-handled faucets in my house. I don't like them because I don't want to fuss with two handles to get the hot/cold mix just right. For me, getting the desired temperature is easier with one control. Besides, two handles means twice as many to clean, plus a wider area to get spattered. To that I say No Thanks!

    I have a lot of Christmas turkey left that I bagged and froze for future meals. Everything else is long gone, which is good. I do like leftovers, but not forever.

    I have noticed that many places that still take cards are now passing the CC fee along to the consumers. I have been told at many local stores that cash or checks are welcome, but if I use a CC I must pay the merchant's usage fee as well. I think businesses get charged like 3% on every purchase? Too much for me to feel like paying, at any rate! I would rather walk out empty-handed than pay that CC fee...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      I like the brushed look better, but I was trying for matching the sink. I saw that one on display, but picked up the wrong box.

      The one control was hard to get the mix right for me. Yes, there are twice as many to clean, but the convenience is worth it. The area to get spattered won't be wider.

      Well, I was not ready to quit eating Thanksgiving, but I have moved on.

      When a person does not have a cc or correct amount when it is hundreds for the amount owed, the % charge is handy. Actually, if merchants just raised the price, then a person would know the charge upfront. Plus, giving a discount for cash would work.

      Delete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.