Contact Me

Friday, December 15, 2023

Busy Day

 Of course, I was busy sleeping since I had trouble sleeping Thursday night. You all might guess that is how my day goes. 

Tommy woke me at noon as I asked because we had an appointment later. When that appointment was cancelled, we had other things to do. 

A woman selling Tupperware sets up in a parking lot. So, we went there and I bought a form for a Jello salad or dessert. I also found a toy my son had, only this was tiny and on a keychain. Cute. Reminds me of his baby days.

We went to Publix and got milk and bread and cheese. Tommy bought Vicks and pain reliever otc that is 4% lidocaine. 

In Walgreen's he used my points to buy Kisses, the red, green, and silver ones. These are for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day and thereafter. One med is still not ready after four days but not their fault.

While sitting outside Walgreen's I saw a little girl who was so precious, maybe three. I had stuff in my hands to give away. When she came out I got her mother to come to the car while I gave her things.

Remember the $2 grab bags I got at the grocery store? They had puzzles, panties, and Christmas socks. I did pay a dollar or two for a red sweatshirt. 

I showed the red sweatshirt to the woman and asked if she would take it, then pulled out socks for age 8-10. She said she had a 10-year-old at home, so I gave her those and then shoved a set of lights to her. She laughed and took the lights. So, I was able to give away items I had and could not use. My youngest grandchild is 16, so nothing I could use for them. 

When we came home, we got out the two coats and will give them to the police precincts collecting coat. 

For the last four days, I have been putting recipes in my favorites folder. I will not want to make all these. Some will have too many carbs, and some will just never make the cut. But, on a blah day, I can read recipes and decided what recipes to keep. Some of the sites are things like "Grandma's Cookies, " "Seven Desserts for Christmas Day," "55 Christmas Cookie Favorites."  I have saved over 1000 recipes at this point. 

Tomorrow, the search will be on for "Nonesuch Mincemeat" since we both want a mincemeat pie. I want the block of mincemeat, but that is no longer made, I suppose. Deliver coats. Maybe buy a mattress. I am sure we will put other things on the list before morning. Tomorrow, we have a longer list of places to go, things to do. 

Dinner tonight will be leftovers. Two days ago, I asked Tommy to dig around and find frozen, cooked meat. He did, found two breasts. I had him bring them to me. Well, the date on the chicken was 1-21. January 2021. There was no frostbite and it tasted fine. I am surprised. Sites say not to freeze chicken for that long. So, I am wondering if we are eating spoiled meat.

We will have chicken with choices of carrots, potatoes, salad, green beans and broccoli. 

Have you ever eaten meat that was cooked and frozen for almost two years? 

It was certainly and good and productive day. It made me happy to give things to the little and girl's sister. I will be buying a toy for a child. Maybe Tommy will. 

My busy day has only been five hours, but it exhausted me even though I never got out of the car!

How are your Christmas festivities and preparations going?

10 comments:

  1. Oh, that was so nice of you to give the lady and little girl those things. You probably really brightened their day. I love that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belinda,
      Thanks. She looked happy, less like I was going to murder her...lol. It was almost dark outside Walgreen's. I hope her day was brightened a bit.

      Delete
  2. Oh man, if you find NoneSuch mincemeat, you will be one lucky woman. It's nowhere to be found near me. The only kind I found was Grandmother's brand, which has absolutely AWFUL reviews online. I ordered Robertson's from World Market and they cancelled my order after five days. I am not keen on making it from scratch but I may try. I don't even like it, but DH thinks it's not Christmas without a mincemeat pie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope,
      I saw a shelf full somewhere. However, there is none to be found around here. I won't quit looking. I want the kind that is a chunk sealed in the square of foil. But, I will settle for a jar. We both like it, too. Have you ever made cookies with it?

      Delete
    2. I have not, but my late MIL gave me a recipe years back. Unless make the mincemeat from scratch, I can't any this year in time for Christmas, so I guess next year I'll have to plan better. The English brand sold out really fast, and I see no value in getting it in January. :)

      Delete
    3. Hope,
      If the date allows, I could save it until next year. Besides, Tommy would like it in January. I won't be making any from scratch.

      Delete
  3. I decided to have a little fun and research this. Hope the following info helps! :^) :^)

    According to the https://www.nonesuchrecipes.com/ website, the Nonesuch brand was discontinued in 2019 and the mincemeat (regular and condensed) is no longer being sold. If you find it somewhere, grab it!

    A Reddit discussion about Nonesuch says that Alton Brown's mincemeat recipe is a fantastic alternative. The recipe can be found at:

    https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/mincemeat-pie-recipe2-1943156

    Just ignore the pie part and make the mincemeat filling.

    For condensed mincemeat, it has been suggested to dry the regular version in a dehydrater to the desired consistency.

    For those who want to make a large batch of mincemeat and can it, the Ball Blue Book of Canning has a recipe. Here's a vetted one for Pear Mincemeat:

    Old-Time Pear Mincemeat

    From: Freezing & Canning Cookbook, Prized Recipes from the Farms of America, Edited by Nell B. Nichols, Farm Journal, Inc.

    7 lbs. ripe Bartlett pears
    1 lemon
    2 (1 lb.) pkgs. seedless raisins
    6 3/4 c. sugar
    1 c. vinegar
    1 T. cloves
    1 T. cinnamon
    1 T. nutmeg
    1 T. allspice
    1 tsp. ginger

    Core and quarter pears.

    Cut lemon into quarters, removing seeds.

    Put pears, lemon and raisins through food chopper.

    Combine remaining ingredients in large kettle. Add chopped fruit mixture. Bring to a boil over medium heat; simmer 40 minutes.

    Pack at once in hot pint jars. Adjust lids. Process in boiling water bath (212F.) 25 minutes.

    Remove jars from canner and complete seals unless closures are self-sealing type. Makes 9 pints.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had the dehydrated kind in my house in 2019. I know I saw dozens of jars a few weeks ago! I should have gotten it. I will keep that recipe until I can do that much work. So, we won't be having mincemeat pie this year!

      Delete
    2. You just may remember where you saw it last time. Sure hope you do -- and score some mincemeat!

      Delete
    3. Sue.
      It was at one of three stores. I just don't remember which. But, no one has it.

      Delete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.