Contact Me

Tuesday, December 26, 2023

Rubber Chicken Was Here




Written Christmas Eve

 I got no cooking done until Christmas Eve on top of things I wanted to do or have Tommy do. The menu was going to be Turkey, dressing, giblet gravy, green bean casserole and some sort of potatoes. I ended up adding zucchini in olive oil and garlic in the oven and sweet potato pie. We have both been working on this. 

Turkey is done, and off bone in refrigerator and freezer. Eggs boiled to chop in gravy. Sweet potatoes are baked and out of skin, and spices are out to make it all into a pie. Stovetop Stuffing is sifted through colander to get the salt out. We may eat late on Christmas. The pie and green bean casserole and zucchini will all be cooked on Christmas Day. 

The count of Ziploc needed to be done. I will buy them reduced the day after Christmas, so I don't want to duplicate thing bought in 2022 and not used. While I was getting the bag from back bedroom, I bent over and saw an Easter tote bag under the sewing machine cabinet. Cleaner who was so good and moved away put it there. The Easter tote held 14 cans of tuna with date of 2025. Thankfully, it was not old date. Good news all around there. There were 6 gallon-storage and 5 quart-freezer. Now I know what to buy. 

Today, I bought two more large jars of peanut butter bogo and two almost quarts of Miracle Whip since the ad was not going to be good when Publix opens the day after Christmas. Well, had bogo rain check on MW, so not urgent like the pb. Tommy complained loudly when I bought two large jars of pb. Today, he said nothing. 

Since I have never seen You've Got Mail, I am watching that right now. Fun! Tonight, we watched Home Alone, again, maybe fifth time this season. 

I have heard nothing from crazy cleaner. I did see the woman who referred her. She is still apologizing to me. Tommy locked his car for the first time ever. He checked my deer to see if they were okay on morning after threats. 

Sunday, I sprayed my bluebird again. I still cannot find the cardinal! There were a few Christmas decorating items I kept muttering about wondering where they could be. Sunday, Tommy told me there was one more long box like the wrapping box in the bedroom. WHAT? I suspect all the items I have been missing are in there. However, it is late Christmas Eve right now, so they won't come out. Maybe I will just go look to see what is in there. I never found the stockings, either. Oh well! Too late. 

Tommy is doing things in the kitchen, like taking turkey breast off the bone, getting rid of bones, saving broth. He is a gem. It hurts by back so to stand. 

The tree is lit, gifts are under the tree, led candle are on as are the pillars. The poinsettia has lights on it. Candy dishes are full of ornaments...lol. Reindeer lights just went off. It's raining. House is warm and smells like good food.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 

Written Christmas Day

I awoke 1 pm because, even though I went right to sleep, it was daylight before I went back to bed and slept more. 

We made dressing with more herbs and minus salty residue in box of SS removed with help of colander. Zucchini are in oven and ready to come out. Pie ingredients are out to assemble. Gravy and green bean casserole are not even started. He saved the turkey broth without me asking. So, that will go in gravy. 

We opened gifts. I am wearing the gold necklace from Jared's. He mildly was interested in the box labeled windchime. He laughed and liked the rubber chicken with Auburn attire that was wrapped in the windchime box. He unwrapped his huge Auburn flag, admired it and looked like he was going to put on his Auburn shirt. Great Christmas so far.

On the website the chicken is described as a dog toy. Tommy pointed out that a a dog could choke on the fabric shirt. It would be a very noisy dog toy.  

Tommy is funny. Considering he has no prior cooking experience or knowledge, I can understand his gaps. He often forgets things I tell him, too. He was getting out all ingredients for the pumpkin pie. He noted to me that even though the recipe called for Carnation evaporated milk, all he could find was Pet. I have told him that Pet is better, better quality, fewer ingredients, and the only evaporated milk I will use. I offhandedly told him the whole thing again, and that Pet was what I used. 

As It Turned Out

Finally, I decided the pie could wait until another day. I will also get gravy tomorrow. We had baked enough sweet potatoes for pies and eating for a few days. 

Christmas Dinner: turkey breast, dressing, sweet potatoes plain, green bean casserole, zucchini, jelled can of cranberry sauce. It was delicious. We each only had a moderate helping. And, I needed a long nap. We forgot the brown n serve rolls, but those can be used another day. 

Christmas was a great day, great success, happy day. I finally sent Amazon egift cards to grandchildren. I slept well, napped well. 

How was your Christmas? Lights? Food? Family? Fun? 

Now, I cannot comment on comments unless I sign in with Google. If you comment, I will reply, maybe on tomorrow's post. Right now, I have to nap.

2 comments:

  1. Glad you had a good Christmas. Mine was nice as well, spent it at my brothers and with his little family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like a wonderful Christmas for you both! That makes me happy for you. I got a Lymphatic Body Gua Sha and Body Brush for Christmas! Yay!

    ReplyDelete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.