Contact Me

Friday, December 29, 2023

Solving a Long-Term Problem

 For several months now, I have been trying to solve a problem. Tommy was the person I turned to, and why not. I tried and could not. I only wanted him to clean the windshield so we could see through it when the sun shone on it. Even if the sun was not shining directly on it, we needed a clean windshield. 

He has one of the things like in a service station that he uses so he can 'clean' the windshield. I have him a bottle of water and vinegar plus a drop of Dawn. Well, he never cleans the sponge side. So, he smears dirt around. I tried with a rag and did a bit better, but could not stand for long and gave up. We went to a gas station and he tried their tool.

However, he insisted first thing to do was use squeege. NOOOOO! Then, he took the sponge side and wiped it in a straight line across like the squeegee side. There was no attempt to get off smears and grease. Next trip, I told him we were going to try Daddy's trick--Coke. Shockingly, he stopped at another service station and bought a Coke and poured it on the windshield. But, instead of using the squeeze or scrubber, he just let it run off. I decided to use the windshield wipers like Daddy did. However, the windshield wipers barely touch the windshield. He has refused to change those for two years. 

I am pulling my hair out over his money-saving tactics. Finally, I told him we were going to buy wipers at Auto Zone and have them put them on. He said NO. 

Well, I bought wipers and told him to go to the place back of the store where they put on tires, and they would do it. I had checked, and they said they would. 

The guy finally came to us. The whole place was closed for repairs, but our horn alerted them we were there. The guy had to get a screwdriver to pry the wipers off. He said they were so old they were stuck on. ???Anyway, he did scrubbing with the tool instead of wiping it straight across. I was so relieved that I had Tommy give me money for him. 

Now, we can see, making driving less dangerous. Of course, Tommy swore he could see through the sun blocking the view because of the grime and grease. 

He makes me crazy. 

We did purchase bags for the kitchen trash, so that was something. Plus, he made a return for me. That was our day. I could not sleep again on Thursday night after getting up after 2 hours, so I slept until 2 pm. today. It makes for a short daylight to do things. Once again, we had leftovers for dinner. 

Maybe you think I am being melodramatic, but I am so relieved the windshield wipers are changed. It takes a load off my mind. He is sooo good and sweet, but incredibly irrational about some areas. Just now, he told me it had been over four years since new wipers. 

How long between times do you or husband change wipers? 



10 comments:

  1. I pretty much get new wipers every year because they tend to freeze to the windscreen here if I forget to pull them out. I've never heard of using coke to clean the windscreen though - I knew there had to be a use for that stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Treaders,
      Daddy put it on the windshield and used the wipers to clear stuff from road off the windshield. I suppose others did, too. I have no idea. There is not a lot of freezing here. If there is, we never go out in it.

      Delete
  2. Coke also works on corroded battery cables - daddy taught me that one. It depends on wipers - I can just tell when I need them. The back wiper blade had been several years, when changed. Auto stores generally always have put mine on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl,
      I always used baking soda on battery cables. No use wasting good Coke...lol. Of course, you/we can tell when we need new wiper blades. I have been telling him for the whole time I have been here that he needs new blades. Auto Zone is where I get mine changed. He said that is who replaces his. Except that he never replaces them. I wonder if the back blade needs replacing. But, I was not going there today. I was exhausted dealing with him.

      Delete
  3. I'm so glad your windshield is clean now thanks to the new wipers. I probably changed mine every 18 months or so, they certainly do make a world of difference to have new ones. The men at Auto Zone are always happy to put them on for us, and I love that about them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belinda,
      It was NOT the windshields that made a difference. Tommy used the same filthy tshirt and did not even clean the windshield. Now, we will not have horrid streaks! The windshield wipers will help by sweeping everything away. Auto Zone is the only place I have ever gotten wipers. They are always very good about changing them.

      Delete
  4. Is a trip through the carwash too convenient?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      He refused. He was adamant he was not going to waste money. I was so afraid that I told him I would pay the $10. It still was not clean!!! I do take my car through the car wash ever so often.

      Delete
  5. I cannot abide a dirty windshield, either inside or out. I run my car through the car wash at LEAST once per week, usually more often. Hubby and I have a plan so that we can wash it once per day. It's only $27 for two vehicles per month.

    I read lately that if you clean the windshield on the inside, you should then use rubbing alcohol on it and that prevents the haze that builds up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alice,
      That is a lot of car washing. I saw a plan where I can get the car washed once a month for same or near the same price. Everyday? I would go for that.

      I saw that cleaning inside with shaving cream keeps the windows from fogging with condensation. I might try these methods.

      Delete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.