Contact Me

Wednesday, December 20, 2023

Good News! x 3

 First good news--The reindeer were on the front porch, not a victim of a porch pirate, thankfully. It took both of us, me inside and Tommy outside to get it into the house. I walked it across the living room and put it in the space behind a table that has to be out from the wall for me to use it from my recliner. 

Second good news--Someone is coming tomorrow to help clean. So, she will put together the reindeer. It would be a real struggle for us. If we had an attic, this would be left assembled and stuck there. Well, he does have an attic, but went up there once forty years ago. Neither of us can climb a ladder, anyway. 

Tommy brought in the little flag and the holder that goes into the ground. I took a Dollar Tree scarf I bought for $1 several years ago and tied a big fluffy bow. I have a large, spiky ornament, think six inches across. There is a loop from the cross bar at the vertical rod that goes to ground. He forced the metal loop enough so the ornament is held sturdy. It is not much and did not cost much.

Third good news. If you want Christmas for 75% off, Lowe's is the place for you. I would have bought a little yard flag, but none of the ones left appealed to me. So, I decorated the little flag holder for free. I was shopping to get the reindeer plugged up, so did not pay much attention.

Oh, there was Halloween left over that was available, too. 

I went to the bathroom and there was a mysterious little black speck on the commode seat. I leaned and flicked it into the commode. As I was flicking it, it looked just like a flea. I immediately leaned way down, and it was a flea! Last week, I sat in my chair and as my feet rose up, I saw what looked like two fleas on my foot. I managed to pinch one, put it in a glass of water with a tiny drop of Dawn. It was a flea!!! If you try to look at a flea as you pinch it up, it can escape and it can escape if you put it in the commode or try to drop it into the commode. 

Listen, I am an expert flea catcher and destroyer. I lick my index finger to glue him to me. Then, I immerse my fingers holding the flea into water with soap. It works every time. You are welcome. Now, you will never lose a flea to bite again. The best flea deterrent is an aerosol that on the front states--kills eggs. So, I have it and will spray before the carpet is infested. 

I had Tommy wake me early--11 am. I was exhausted but we left for Tiger Pride. I thought it was Tiger Rag. Tommy said it was that name. Of course, we did not venture to Bama Fever side. He got to pick out his Christmas present. I was disappointed he chose a t-shirt. I wanted him to get another shirt--collar and three button placket. I told him to pick out a jacket. He refused. He said he would rather have a flag or something. He picked out a flag 28" x 40". It is huge. He wants to hang it on the door before football games. I am glad he did not plan it to be living room decor. 

Someone behind me squeaked something. It was a rubber chicken, Roll Tide kind. So, I had them hide as Auburn rubber chicken for me to buy. He left to get the car, so we no longer had to hide it. The woman was so nice, looking for a box so it would not squeak in the car. So, the chicken and flag are wrapped and under the tree. He is going to wash the t-shirt first. Then, he said he wants to wear it new. So, it was dropped into a small gift bag. All done! 

The woman found a box for wind chimes to hold the rubber chicken. She was intent on his not hearing the squeak before Christmas morning. Very nice woman, all smiles at hiding it from him. Tommy will be mystified at wind chimes since he knows I would never purchase wind chimes. 

Tommy was peeling sweet potatoes because these are old--Sept 2022--and they have small black specks inside. I dig them all out, even though most people would eat them. I heard a tremendous noise from the kitchen as the baking pan clattered and potatoes thundered to the floor. I told him I would pick them up. Once he washed them, and I sliced them to encourage them to cook more quickly, he put them in a pot to cook. These will make a sweet potato pie. 

At Lowe's I bought flea killer for adults and eggs, Amdro fire ant bait, 100' extension cord, and a timer. If we did not have a timer, Tommy would have to go outside, down the ramp, around his car, beside mine on a carport off which he could fall, and into the utility room. He has nothing in which to plug anything outdoors! He paid for all this.  At my house, I had an outdoor plug installed at my house. 

Now, I have started to worry that he will accidentally squeak the chicken while I am asleep. 

I remember hiding Santa gifts with children with me while I shopped. That was fun. When the two older were about ten or thereabouts, I knew they would look for their Santa loot, so I put it all in the trunk of the car. That meant for about a month I had to carry three kids in the back seat of a two-door car AND many bags of groceries. They would complain. I told them Daddy had not gotten the lawn chairs from the trunk so there was no room. They complained to him. One day, the older, a boy said, "Just give me the keys and I will remove the chairs!" I had to make excuses--too dark, raining, never mind. It was fun. Twenty years or more later, my daughter asked me where I hid their Santa presents. "In the trunk of the car." She remembered that year when they had to sit crowded with brown grocery bags. 

Dinner tonight will be either chicken, sweet potatoes, and salad or loose ground beef, salad and sweet potatoes. Who knows. Maybe spaghetti, salad. 

Tommy does not know it, but he is making roux for my giblet gravy. I will not be denied. 

What kind of subterfuge happened when you hid gifts from children or spouse or someone else? I think we all have had to hide gifts from someone, especially as children grew up and realized toys might be around the house. 

I know you all have funny stories. 


10 comments:

  1. I love yard flags. I got a holder and a flag as a gift when Glen passed. Over the years I have purchased all kinds of flags for seasons and holidays. It is pretty I think. Makes me smile - worth it.
    Hope he likes the chicken!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl,
      I have only ever had this one gotten in the grab bags I bought. It does make me smile.

      Delete
  2. I am really good at hiding things. So good, in fact, that some presents have gone missing for years. Because I don't always remember where I hide them. I kid you not. It's a big family joke, of which I am the butt.

    In fact, I bought DH a cashmere pullover (on steep discount, of course) a couple of years ago and I still can't find it. Hope I figure out where it is before the moths do...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      I believe you. Santa was bringing my son a Boy Scout knife. I never found it to put out on Christmas day. I suspect the tiny box was thrown out. He was old enough, so I finally told him and bought him another.

      That is funny about the sweater. The moths would enjoy it.

      Delete
  3. One of my kids wrote a paper for a college Consumer Health class, in which he used as a source a study from Cornell School of Veterinary Medicine(?) stating that regular vacuuming was effective in eradicating fleas from a house. (The assignment was to compare a legitimate health claim, which was that, with an illegitimate one, which was a snake oil type spray.) The Cornell study (and again, I am not sure it was Cornell, may have been Rutgers) warned against aerosol pesticides due to toxicity in humans, and also deemed them unnecessary in light of regular, frequent vacuuming.
    We have cats, and I am very careful to avoid fleas. First, we don't let our cats outside. I also vacuum daily. Finally, if I ever do spy a flea, which is rare, but can happen given our climate, it's straight to the farm supply store for Revolution drops! Those drops work on all stages of the parasite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meg,
      I believe that vacuuming helps immensely. You don't have to convince me. That is one of the main things I wanted a cleaner to do. Tommy just refuses lately. I would rather die of aerosol pesticide than of flea bites that itch so that I get an infection from scratching. However, I try to avoid aerosol pesticides. I don't have a cat to put drops on...lol.

      Delete
  4. Oh, as for hiding gifts, when kids were little, it was fairly easy...I would simply stow them in a dresser drawer or our closet, both places they weren't allowed to go in. It sounds harsh, but I have never made a point of deeply hiding the gifts. If, when they got older and found themselves in the house unsupervised with the urge to snoop and discovered their gifts, I figured if they found their presents and ruined their surprise, well, I figured it was their own fault.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There were some years I was so good at hiding things I forgot where I'd hidden them!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.