Contact Me

Sunday, December 17, 2023

Light Fight in the Neighborhood.

 We drove around the neighborhood at dusk to see what neighbors were putting up. The inflatables were mostly flat. One person had maybe a dozen items on their front yard. Best display ever and makes me want to have one. 

I am going to use the credit I earned on Amazon by to purchase reindeer family of a buck, doe, and baby. However, it is the cart, and I cannot push the order button.

My deer I had before cost me $1 at a yard sale in July or middle of summer in Decatur. Then, I found a $1 Christmas tree with lights for $1 later. I had that in my yard outside the picture window on the side of the house where I could see it and people driving by could see it. 

Then, I decided I want the huge candy canes across the front of the porch. I have one year to accomplish all this. Things may be added to the plan if I can buy them for $1, no matter what I find. I have a three-food blow molds and a six-foot Santa with a Coke in his hand. But, it would ruin even under the porch roof. There are one-foot blow molds in my other decorations in storage.

All this excites me. Silly me? Maybe. I could change my mind, okay? 

Tommy is so funny. I had him put out three candles on his short bookcase. Thee were on the table where I was going to put the tree. Immediately, he started cleaning junk off the bookcase, but only on one end. The other end had a mustard bottle that he keeps there and four empty Diet Pepsi cans, plus assorted junk and a coffee cup. sigh....

Do you have or have you ever had a big display in your yard? Even a modest display?

6 comments:

  1. I love those candy canes and would like some of those in our yard too. We have often found some of our favorite Christmas decorations at yard sales or second hand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belinda,
      I wrote a reply twice and Blogger would not let me send it. Some of my best Christmas decorations come from yard sales--leg lamp, Christmas houses--so, I am fine with that. I am flexible about the decorations in the yard.

      Delete
  2. No big displays here. On my farm, we put up a wreath, and a pine garland around the porch post, but it made no sense to do much else as far out as we were. This year, I don't even have a wreath, as the boys have yet to put a screw in the wall outside. It's fine though, as we aren't Christmas light, plastic knick knack people. And we find those inflatables to be an aesthetic and environmental atrocity. We DO plant pumpkins for fall, and use those outside liberally for Autumn/Halloween decorating. Clean up is a cinch, as I just toss them in the compost pile. This year, I meant to cut some holly to put it in my cleaned out window boxes, but the rains came, and then I lost interest. I will cut some for our dinner centerpiece. I also have some wintergreen a kid planted, and I plan on cutting a few leaves and berries and putting them around my pillar candles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meg,
      I am not "a plastic knick knack people," either. I think the inflatables are atrocious. But, the people who put them up are happy and we go around to see them. When I had greenery, I used what was in my yard--no plastic. But, our situations are different.

      Delete
  3. We just have lights and a door wreath, but we have a neighbor not far away with what I have dubbed "Car Dealer Santa." Truly, it's the size of half his house. To each his own, I guess. It does have issues with high winds, so he deflates it based on the weather report. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope,
      With his lights, you don't have to put up any, just enjoy his. I can never see the display in daytime because around here, people deflate them in the daytime.

      Delete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.