Contact Me

Saturday, August 18, 2018

What was in the car

Thinking about the car contents made me think about them and make a list.

walker
four-legged cane
blanket that folds into a bag with handle
backpack with items
pair of shoes
three large boxes to take to a shop and sell
13 gal. garbage bag to take to same shop to sell
long stick thing to pick up pecans
two 24-packs water in trunk
gallon antifreeze
gallon of water in antifreeze jug
two 13 gal garbage bags with two large items to return for refund
two tiny bags of car garbage, ready to discard
few groceries--I carry in two or three things at a time
sunglasses
large teacher's edition math book for sale
40 lb sand in trunk
short piece of wood I was going to use for project
wheel cover
rope
ball of twine
plastic sheet
hammer
screwdriver
shovel
red flag plastic for long load
bottom of humidifier filled with car fluids for emergencies
12-pack of half-pint Ball canning jars
old blanket in trunk
4 empty and folded tote bags for carrying groceries
bottle of hand lotion
box of Kleenex
pens in various places
coins
mail from the day
ice/frost/snow  scraper for windows, padded thing to put hand inside
gallon gas can
car vac

This is all I can remember. I left sand, wood, wheel cover.

The old blanket in the trunk is for others to use. If someone has to get down on the ground to change a tire, he might be less reluctant to do so in the mud if there is something to kneel on.

I use the blanket that folds into a bag all the time in the winter. One side is vinyl so it can be put on the ground. I never use it on the ground. The other side is not fleece but something warm and textured. I put it over me when I have to be in car in winter and do not wish to run the motor. The vinyl really holds in heat so I do not have to tuck it around my neck to stay warm. I can feel my body heat rising around my face. Of course, I never sit under it for long and the weather is rarely below 20F degrees. I am quite sure I would perspire and become cold if I stayed under it for very long with it tucked in.

I keep the water in the car because I only open a bottle when I am out. The tote bags go in and out and about. The jars actually had been forgotten in the trunk.

There is always a shovel in my trunk, short one, in case I want to dig up a plant. A friend laughed and said I reminded her of an aunt who always carried a shovel and bags in the trunk to dig plants given to her.

We only need to scrape our windows a few times in the winter. Usually, there is a thick sheet of ice, maybe some frost, but keeping the scraper in the car year-round assures it is where I need it, when I need it.

The car vac runs off the cigarette lighter. It has its own zipped container. And, it works. I paid a quarter for it. It was the end of the day and the couple said they were sick of the sale. So, everything was a quarter.

It has been frustrating not having the car this week.  Several times, I have wanted to go put something in the car for a return. Plus, needing to go somewhere and not having a car is stressful.

Definitely not an offsite storage area!

What do you keep in your car all the time?



13 comments:

  1. I keep a backpack I call our "bug out bag". Full of emergency supplies. I laundry basket with blankets and misc. things like plastic bags and tote bags. I probably have more than I need, but I like to be prepared if an emergency happens while I am away from home. I don't carry food or water, but I always put a water bottle in the car when I leave home. And if I have to leave home during an emergency, I will fill the car with food and water and I have everything else. I guess you and I are birds of a feather! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. tana50,
      I did keep water in the house, but it is handier in the car and in case of emergency. I have a change of clothing and other stuff in the
      backpack. Yes, I think we may think alike. The list seems long, but some of the things like the red plastic piece for a flag is really about 5"x10", so not a space eater. In the winter, I keep a Mama Mia pizza dough that has a long life. I just throw it out after a while.

      Delete
  2. Oh gosh- just shopping bags, an umbrella, old paperback, spiral notebook and pen, and the documents required in the manufacturer's book. I am never over 60 miles from home in my car though and have my purse with me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love your stuff. I might have to add to mine!

      Delete
    2. tana50,
      It all seems necessary to me.

      Delete
  3. You have a great memory! I don't think I could remember half of that stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle82,
      Lots of it is just stuff I carry. Plus, I saw the two guys take it out.

      Delete
  4. I have a bag of grocery bags that I reuse at my local grocery stores and a quarter to use for a shopping cart at Aldi....and that's all. I HAVE to have a clean car at all times or I'm not a happy camper. Right now I'm a little upset because I can't find a good place to store my temporary handicapped placard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Catrina,
      I hardly call things for an repairing the car or fluid as not clean. Or, my cane, walker, Kleenex. Why don't you put the placard in the glove compartment or the console?

      Delete
  5. Sadly, a clean (to me) car is a little obsessive. Years ago, my first husband was a slob. Our car looked like a family of four lived in it. That in itself was bad enough, but when I could take no more I took it upon myself to clean it out. I found one bra, two packages of condoms, and two pairs of women's underwear amongst the 'stuff'. Forty-two years later, and I want nothing in my car. Believe me, I wasn't judging ANYONE for what in their car. I was just answering a question. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's a useful post for me. Thanks for your superb post. Best Short Course RC Truck

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you great share. I like this informative share. Carry on. automobile image editiing service

    ReplyDelete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.