Contact Me

Monday, August 13, 2018

Groceries August 5-11, 2018

Stove Top Stuffing 12 oz., $1.31 x 2
Betty Crocker Home Style Stuffing, 6 oz. $0.56
  1 Herb Stuffing
  1 Cornbread Stuffing
3 bananas
2 half-gal. milk 2 x $4.49
4 peaches given to me
12 cloves of garlic $1 (not bulbs)
3 bananas
3 apples

I spent about $15 this week.

The three packages of stuffing were on a clearance rack just inside Walmart. They are a better price than sale prices. Even if I could find them cheaper later, not having price-match would probably make them inaccessible to me as I will only drive so far. I promise I will have one helping a week of these...lol

I bought peaches last week that were yellow with a hint of red/pink. I know that variety turns very red when ripe. The person at the market said they would turn red. I asked her several times would they ripen, and she repeated they would turn red. The first one was bitter and sweet--yuck. Rock hard! So was the second-yuck again. The third gave me hope but was still not good. The fourth seemed to be more on the rotten side.

In the last two peaches, there were little white things in the red of the pit left in the peach. I cut it all out, but it looked like a fungus of some kind. Was it okay to eat this peach? Do you know what the little white things were? They looked smooth and like tiny pearls.

So, as I walked past the booth Saturday,, I mentioned in passing that the peaches last week were disappointing, NO, they do not redden or ripen. And, I kept going. As I was getting in the truck, she came to me and handed me a bag of four peaches, saying she hoped they were better even though they were not what I had last week. That was nice of her. I thanked her.

I looked at the few booths still open. A woman had about a gallon of garlic cloves in a bowl. Usually, bulbs of garlic are sold whole instead of separating them into cloves to sell. I asked her why she was selling them like that. She said the starts she bought made huge bulbs and people would not buy them. Hmmm??? She probably asked more than people wanted to pay for garlic.

I ended up buying 5 cloves for $1. I think the price is exorbitant, but at least they were not grown in Chinese soil like lots of the garlic in the grocery store. I cannot find garlic from Gilroy. Where do they sell it? That $1 was all I spent today at the market.

5 comments:

  1. Perhaps the huge cloves of garlic were elephant garlic? I really love elephant garlic just because I only have to chop 1 for a recipe! Saves time and fuss. I think they taste the same as regular garlic, although maybe just a touch milder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      Elephant garlic was what I thought. However, the cloves are no larger than regular garlic. So, I don't know. I have not tried any yet.

      Delete
  2. I would kill for a tree ripened freestone peach! Juice running down my chin. The stuff picked unripened never taste the same and mostly just rot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tewshooz,
      Down my chin and to my elbows, too! That is what I had three weeks ago from the same woman. They were Elberta's. If I were in shape for canning, I would have exbf drive me back to Birmingham to buy some at the Farmer's Market down there.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.