Contact Me

Sunday, August 19, 2018

Emergency Call

Exbf and I have a set ritual on Sunday. He goes to church, comes home to eat or picks up burger, and we talk, then he naps. Well, sometimes he naps and I call him and wake him up. I hate doing that, so I suggested that he call me after he eats and before he naps. That way, I will not interrupt his meal or nap. Or disturb his meal or trip to bathroom. With a walker everything is an effort.

When he is out and out of pocket, he calls and lets me know where he is and what he is doing. The reason he keeps me informed is so I will not worry myself sick. Twice in the past he has not responded to calls, one from Friday afternoon until 2 am Sunday morning when I finally called police for welfare check. Another time, he was answering the phone but talking silly. Even when I told him I was going to call the police, he was still silly. So, I knew he knew nothing of what was happening.

Sunday, he called me at 12:15, saying he was at Pep Boys getting new tires because someone at church pointed out his bald tires. I quickly inquired about food for him. He assured me he had gone to BK and was going to eat when he got off the phone. He was letting me know so I would not panic. they finished the tires at 2 pm.

About 2:55 pm, I started worrying since he had not called me. Neither his cell or home was answered. I worried a bit and figured he was driving and would call me when he could. Actually, it was 2:58. At 3:11 pm, he called on his cell. NO, not his voice. It was a policeman. They were tending him and taking him to hospital because of blood sugar being so low.

I asked how they found me. They found his cell and found my number! He erases every call from his phone every time so that his phone is blank. He dials my number every time! He refuses to leave my number in the phone. It is not like he is trying to keep it a secret that he calls me or knows me. Of that, I am positive. His stupid, stubborn independence and fear of another person is going to kill him.

The guy said he was alert but not coherent. He had put his keys in his pocket and they were searching for them and finally called police when they realized his condition! His blood sugar was 40 and they said they gave him lots of sugar to get it to 280. That seems way too high. I think the police are following him home. I know they are following him to BK.

This all happened 30 minutes ago, and my chest is pounding, body trembling, and breathing is hard. This is going to kill me.

He listens to nothing I say. He is afraid I am trying to change him if I straighten his shirt collar. God forbid I should push down a piece of hair sticking straight up!

He just called. Okay, over three hours since he left church, over an hour since police called me. He said sitting in the sun for over 30 minutes while they looked for his keys at Pep boys is the reason for blood sugar drop. He was sitting on his keys. It could be because all he had to eat was fries!

I asked him at what point did he know he was in trouble. He didn't! He thought a drunk man in a gray shirt kept talking to him because he could not understand the guy. I had to laugh. He never knew he was in trouble. The policeman found me in his cell phone since I had just called him.

He refused to go to the hospital. So, as he says, they tested him to see if he could follow directions, knew where everything was on the dash , and could get key in ignition.

He has always refused to carry anything with him because he knows what he is doing. Since we just talked, I may have changed his mind.

My panic increased since I do not have a car to even go see him in hospital.

My heartbeat and breathing is still not right at 4:30 pm.

10 comments:

  1. I am so sorry. I hope he is ok, and feel your panic. And frustration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had sort of relaxed since it has been about three years since the last episode. He just won't listen and says he does not need me to worry.

      Delete
  2. What a scary afternoon. Take a deep breath and bring yourself down. It sounds like you take good care of him-keeping him touch with you. You are a great EXGF!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scary is correct. I have been indulging in too many carbs since then! Thanks.

      Delete
  3. Oh that is sooo scary!!! I hope both of you are okay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. michelle82,
      Yes, very scary. I think he is doing better than I am. I keep worrying he is okay.

      Delete
  4. You are a saint! Can you imagine where he'd be without you? I can't!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooo that sounds scary. He should be very careful with his condition but apparently not. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TPol,
      He refused to eat anything today and felt woozy, saying "I will be okay." aand, He was driving! Urge to kill.

      Delete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.