Contact Me

Thursday, August 2, 2018

Drawing Blood

At the dermatologist Tuesday  I complained about a little bump on my chest up near my collar bone. Something bit me there, I think, about four years ago. I kept scratching it and got it all inflamed. He sliced it off. "Sliced" was his word. The nurse gave me a shot to deaden the area. I never even felt the needle go in.

There was lots of red stuff. He took off quite a chunk.

Instructions were to use Vaseline or Polysporin so it would not dry out and cause scarring. I never knew keeping something from drying out would prevent scarring. Did you?

Then, on Wednesday, the allergist took a blood sample to see if I am allergic to soy. I definitely have a reaction to soy.

A nurse came in with the largest bore needle I have seen in a long time. I was alarmed but said nothing. She felt around on the crook of my elbow and finally put the needle at the skin where she chose. Not only did the needle bore alarm me, the size of the barrel thing behind the needle was strange. Then, the needle plunged into my arm at least an inch. The speed alarmed me as it went in.  I really think the thing was cocked.

I was disappointed the barrel did not fill with blood. She was taping up my arm. So, I asked her where she was going to try next. In surprise, she said she had it. I was confused and asked her to show me. THEN, I could see the blood. It was smaller than the thing/barrel that was attached to the needle.

Amazingly, there is absolutely no evidence I had blood drawn. She was good, and I made sure I told her so, effusively!

Is there something that plunges the needle in the skin without the nurse having to push it in?

10 comments:

  1. My doc uses just the needle with some kind of little butterfly arrangement. I try not to look. He always misses the vein and says "oh no!"

    Wet healing does reduce scarring, I removed a skin cancer from my face last year and didn't want a bandage on it so it dried out and I now have some deep white scarring. A bandage would have been uglier but more short term!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since my veins are hard to get, the butterfly thing works best. I was wondering how much that monster needle was going to hurt.

      I never heard of wet healing, but I will put this knowledge to use. Thanks for that info.

      Delete
  2. I can't watch having blood drawn. I'm fine as long as I look away, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I can't watch. Sometimes I start to get all clammy and light headed. It really helps to get someone with experience that knows what they are doing. I've had some really, really bad experiences with having blood drawn. But I've also had it done where I didn't feel a thing and it was over before I even knew they had started. I'm like you...when that happens, I make sure to tell them how good they are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quiz,
      I have had horrible experiences, too. I have to watch. I get sick when they botch it. Then, I light-headed! I also ask for the name so I can compliment them to office.

      Delete
  4. When having blood drawn or dental procedures I slip into a relaxed "Zen" state by concentrating on relaxing and keeping my body limp. I have rarely ever felt anything while having a procedure done.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janet,
      My dentist pushes the medicine out of the syringe slowly. That way, it does not hurt. The last one jammed it in and out and it hurt. You have a good dentist. I try to relax at the dentist, but am not too successful. Maybe you are one of those people who don't feel as much as others. Hope so.

      Delete
  5. Allergic to soy? That's not an easy one to dodge in the diet. good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urspo,,
      Something is bothering me. I do not want to be allergic to soy. I just want to know.

      Delete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.