Contact Me

Thursday, August 16, 2018

Hijacking and Hoarding at One Family One Income

Okay, I hijacked another blogger's blog post. That's bad. I apologize. My sewing room was never described as being a hoarder's domain. However, when I opened the drawers of the Butterick or McCall pattern cabinet, the kind you found in fabric departments, I was filled to the brim. 

Four of the sections had patterns, standing, and organized. One long section corralled any kind of fastener--buttons, snaps, hook and eyes, belt hooks, and even Velcro. Another had trim like lace, mostly on bolts. Another had trim--patches, flowers, mostly embroidered things. One section held sewing tools--extra attachments for four sewing machines. 

It was very easy to rummage through these small sections and even easier to straighten and organize the sections. Plus, when I bought anything, it was simple to open the drawer and drop it in. I often bought items I did not need at the moment because it was on sale or I anticipated needing the items. 

Yet, if a friend asked for anything, I was met with cries or "hoarder" as they saw the drawer I opened. They were quick to condemn my actions even as they picked out what they wanted. Amazing! 

Of course, the fellow blogger, a nice person got the following response, entirely unwarranted as I responded to her post. Sorry!

THIS WAS MY  COMMENT:

"If it is well-organized, I can see no problem with keeping stuff. Plus, if there is a chance anyone will need it, why not keep it? I cleaned up a whole room with the addition of one of the Butterick pattern cabinets and a bookshelf and plastic shoebox type boxes, only larger.


Then, over the years, I added more to the stash of everything. The bookcase held the boxes full of thread. Since I needed 3-5 spools of the same color at one time, the dozen boxes worked to organize.


The long dividers in the pattern cabinet each held a designated item, making everything easy to find. All this was in a sewing room about 17x19, leaving room for four machines and three chairs and a cutting table. NOTHING was cluttered or junky looking, yet I kept things for years before I used it.


Since I got rid of things all the time, I did not consider it hoarding at all. Now, I do not know how he keeps his stuff or when he uses it. Maybe he is a hoarder, don't know. If he cannot get to it, maybe."

So, over at One Family One Income, I did not mean to be so harsh. 

5 comments:

  1. My husband had a habit of dragging stuff home and keeping it because "it might come in handy someday." I didn't fight him about it. I just gave him the largest of our two closets and let him be, with the stipulation that the closet was for his stuff, not our living space. (If we lived in a house instead of an apartment, there would have been more stuff.) After he died I tossed the rubbish, donated some and let the kids take what they wanted. The thing is, having his stuff made him happy and that's really all that mattered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. vicki,
      At least the two of you had it under control--all in one space. He was happy and you were happy. I have been known to bring stuff home and throw it away almost immediately! I have a threshold.

      Delete
  2. My DH doesn't shop/collect, but man he is loathe to toss things once they make their way into the house. Usually, I just remove the items when he isn't around--I mean, he almost gets panicked. Most recently, when DD's new mattress set was delivered, he kept trying to suggest places to put her old one. I finally told him to talk stop crazy talk, get out of my way, and dragged the old mattress down the stairs, tossed it in the back of the truck, and drove it to the dump. The box she and I dismantled for kindling, putting what was left over in the trash can for pickup.
    There were boxes in our garage, sitting there from our move over a decade ago. Those, I just opened, and tossed or donated the contents bit by bit while he was gone--things like snow boots, heavy parkas, and checkbooks from the late 1980's! I find this tendency of his very infuriating. To deal with it, I try to point out the nonsense for nonsense, and when worse comes to work, just flat out act.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If it is not his stuff, I would say getting rid of it while he is unaware of what is happening is the best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.