Contact Me

Monday, August 26, 2024

Under-The-Bridge People

 



When it is raining, I refuse to leave the house. When it is sunny, Tommy drags his feet to do some things! We need a car! There are things/projects he has fought me on this last few years, but now he is all onboard. He wants a new bathroom other than this tub. He agrees we both need new cars. He agrees the three-foot mound of fire ants need to be treated. He agrees we need a new light above the sink. Yet, nothing happens unless I plan, do calling and supervise. He has the cc for things.

So, I have one new reason not to sleep--ruminating, fretting in my head and aloud. He never wants to drive in the rain, so that is one worry I do not have--him wanting to take a drive in the rain. 

Every day, I try to work around Jeopardy. Some days, I just say, "Let's go."  So far, he has not said a word about waiting. One day, I was fretting about wasting the afternoon. He told me to just tell him, "Let's go." So, I do. 

I finally got with the mower about proper weed killer for St. Augustine Grass. So, I can get that for him to spray. Tommy has Dallas grass in the yard, so two days later is a foot or more tall. Dallas grass is the weed that grows one stem with three little sprouts from the top that have seeds that get all over you when you walk. My old remedy/poison worked in my yard with St. Augustine Grass. It killed the wild onions, too. I see that spelled two ways--Dallisgrass and Dallas Grass. 

Another worry--cleaner has sort of flaked out on me. She does have a full-time job and a part-time job. But, she was willing and has not demonstrated she is wanting not to come. I work around her jobs and church activities. 

Two weeks ago, we were driving in North Birmingham. Well, Tommy pointed out N Bham was two blocks away. Too close for me. We went under a bridge of some sort. I was shocked. There were people living under there. There were sheets or blankets hanging where people were way up under the bridge, living behind these barriers blowing in the wind. on the pavement was a stroller. I assumed someone was using for transporting items. I hoped there was not a baby in this little encampment. 

Across the street was a table set up and several people and folding chairs. I am not sure if this was outreach or people from under the bridge. I felt compelled to do something, but what? We did not even have a bottle of water except for the two we were drinking. 

There were a few other people, but it was happening so quickly that my head reeled. I know there are homeless people and have seen them. I went to the Foods not Bombs food that my friend set up near five points. But, I had never seen people under a bridge in person. 

So, we are trying to figure out what to do, what would be useful and not a duplication of other efforts. I am thinking new bags of socks, underwear. But, then what size, male or female. Are there children involved? What food? Water? I suspect these are hardcore homeless who reject housing offered. 

We saw homeless people in Birmingham Public Library. But, these people could pass for students. They were clean, shaven, and did not appear to have mental problems, just down on their luck. I know homeless are like the rest of us with many stories and needs. I met a homeless woman in Cullman who carried everything she owned in a tote bag. I met her in a doctor's office. I believe she only wanted to be friends for a ride. That is important, but she was rude to me, yelled at me and was demanding. Her sister was in a position to help with everything like that because she had a position with an organization that helps homeless people. She was banned from thrift store because she was selling herself in the bathroom. okaaay As it turned out, she was mentally ill. 

If money were not an issue, we would load up the Rogue with a thousand dollars' worth of help. I don't want to just give washcloths and toothbrushes. Or just socks and underwear. Maybe neither. We just want it to be effective. 

Your thoughts?

Have you worked with the homeless? 

28 comments:

  1. For several years we have handed bottles of water to the homeless everywhere we go. We keep a cardboard box behind the drivers seat full of bottles. When we see a homeless person at an intersection my husband reaches back and hands me a bottle while I get my window down. They are always grateful for water. We have only had it refused once. The homeless population is growing here and we are seeing a lot of women which is new.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lana,
      In this Alabama weather, water would be welcomed, I am sure. That was my first thought, but I thought it was not enough. I suppose a baby under the bridge would be in danger somewhat. Thanks.

      Delete
  2. You pose a question that has no good answer. You don't want to give money for fear that it might be used for alcohol and drugs. Giving out cooked food, the chance they won't eat it. I knew someone once, who kept a box of samples she got in the mail, along with bottled water and juice to give out when she saw a homeless person at an intersection. This was when we lived in Tampa. She ended up on the news after a homeless woman proceeded to stab her arm when she offered some of the items from the box. She stabbed her with a hypodermic needle. Scary enough to keep your windows up! I realize that all homeless people cannot be represented by this one woman. I think volunteering at a soup kitchen, or donating to that cause would be a way for your efforts to matter. Sadly, the homeless people that are mentally ill are feared by most people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy,
      I cannot do for myself, so volunteering somewhere would require others to look out for me. I have thought about only opening the window a bit. If a person could tell which person was mentally ill, it would be safer for all of us. Thanks.

      Delete
    2. I have never felt unsafe handling out water. What I get is smiles and blessings. One man reached in the window and shook my hand and told me I could not have blessed him more if I had given him $10. I still remember his happiness like it was yesterday. I refuse to stop this ministry and I refuse to be afraid. We worked with the homeless shelter for eight years when our health was better and these people need our care and help. There are so many sad stories.

      Delete
    3. Lana,
      You have a good attitude. Stories I hear have been very sad.

      Delete
  3. One other thing, when I open my window and hold out the water , I look the homeless person in the eye and ask of they would like some water . That person has feelings and dreams just like me. I want them to know that I see that and that they have value.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lana,
      When Tommy offers someone something, he has an attitude like they are needy and pitiful. His voice makes me cringe for them. I have an upbeat attitude and treat them with no less respect than I would expect. I don't let him talk...lol.

      Delete
    2. My husband would strike up a conversation and we would be blocking traffic! He has never met anyone he would not like to talk to!

      Delete
    3. Lana,
      I would be the one talking more, but Tommy can get wound up, too.

      Delete
  4. We have lots of homeless in my town and area. Bridges are a safe spot out of the weather for many. City removes them from the bridges but they do return.
    I used to make up baggies with h&b items to hand out. Little things that may make life better. I handed them out through the local soup kitchen. I have also purchased throws, hats, gloves and socks - and let the soup kitchen pass them out. I also give food to the soup kitchen. Anyone (homeless or not) can eat there every day of the year.
    This is a life choice for some, and others just get into a position, where it is all they can do for a while.
    Everyone deserves to be shown respect and treated nicely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl,
      For years I bought gloves from yard sales to give to a friend who worked with homeless. One day, the people at a yard sale gathered up ever pair of gloves, hats and coats and brought them to my car to give away. All the coats were very expensive. I bagged them up for transport. It took three men to bring all of what they gave me into my friend's house.

      Delete
  5. I have volunteered with the homeless for over 30 years, and I agree with Lana - dignity is the best gift you can give them. Ask their name, look them in the eye. As for what you can give, the most requested items are socks and underwear, and baby wipes are very helpful as well! We generally distribute mens boxer briefs and both men and women take them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. obscure,
      I thought maybe socks and underwear might be good. I had not thought of baby wipes. Thanks.

      Delete
  6. Water bottles, we give 2 bottles in hot weather, factory wrapped peanut butter sandwich crackers, fruit in a little sealed cup with a plastic spoon and a several napkins. Socks, especially in the cold. Sanitary napkins too. The wet wipes idea would be good too along with those mini kleenex packs. You can fill an old purse up with sanitary pads etc. for ladies too. One of the biggest smiles we have received is when I gave a lady a two pack of black socks, it was as if she had been praying for them! Dollar Tree has two-pair-packs of black socks many times for ladies and men and they are not bad at all, I wear them myself of course. We like to throw in a mini prayer pamphlet about Christ too, for us personally, it's very important and we always give with a smile and dignity. I put the things in those brown lunch bags and put them in the back seat so we can grab and give at the stop lights. We give with a huge smile and a serious look in the eye with a loving care. In our area in the city there are several places that feed the unfortunate and will even house them to get them on their feet, one church feeds them five days a week for lunch, a hot meal. They can also sleep on that churches large covered front steps, it's known as a safe place. We used to attend church there. I'm enjoying reading all the comments. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amelia,
      Thanks for the good ideas of what you do. I was thinking white socks. Are black better? I think there was a place that feeds people several blocks from the bridge. So, it is not like I have to provide much. Thanks for helping the homeless.

      Delete
    2. Hi Linda, I don't think it matters at all about the color of the socks, I guess I had it in my mind the black ones because that is what I had from the Dollar Tree in the cold weather. One good thing on the black ones is they don't show dirt. But some may prefer white too. They had 2-pack black ones on display with their cute fuzzy socks. It's so nice to read of your heart on this. That's so great. I wish everyone could see through those eyes don't you? : )

      Delete
    3. Amelia,
      I thought maybe someone had voiced a preference for black. If socks are dirty, hiding dirt is not the answer. I know washing is probably not possible. I tear up or just become sad when I see these homeless people.

      Delete
    4. Hi Linda, I am meaning just little marks on them. But of course...these people have no way of washing them either.

      Yes, I understand and empathize with how you feel. I always think...This person was someone's little infant at one time. What happened? What is their story? I know too, sometimes these people don't want to be in shelters because they do drugs and alcohol. It's just very sad no matter how we look at it.

      Delete
    5. I wonder about how their mothers feel about this person living under a bridge now.

      Delete
  7. I've worked with the homeless quite a bit, including in & around encampments, in the woods, under bridges, etc. Feel free to email me if you want to chat about it further: tlpollard2017@gmail.com

    P.S. Why do you think your cleaner flaked on you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tiffany,
      Thanks. I will do that.
      She has a hard full-time job, and part-time job and active church. I doubt it is anything serious. Besides, she is so nice.

      Delete
  8. I haven't worked directly with homeless people but I know socks are high on the priority list.
    Canned foods can be good, water is great.
    As others have said, being seen is probably the most valuable thing you can give them.
    I hope you find an option you enjoy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. kylie,
      I thought I remembered the socks. They have can openers?
      We are getting water tomorrow.

      Delete
    2. kylie,
      Of course! I should have thought of that.

      Delete
  9. Personally, I would not deal with the under-the-bridge homeless people directly.

    Yes, it feels good and humanizing to acknowledge their existence and their needs. But what if the interactions go downhill fast, due to mental illness? You never know when someone is going to turn that big smile into a feral snarl and try to seriously hurt you. And you and Tommy are in no shape to defend yourselves. You think you are safe in your car, but you're not. All it takes is one strong pull and your arm is broken. Or they've reached in and punched you in the face. You don't know. And you can't predict it.

    I would search for groups specifically doing homeless outreach and ask how you can help. They will know exactly the needs of that population, and will appreciate items or money that will help their efforts.

    Your ideas are noble, but you need to protect yourself while you give to the less fortunate. This is not a population whose behavior is predictable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I worry about a knife in the window. I do not need the noble feeling at all. just want to help. We will keep this in mind. Thanks.

      Delete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.