Contact Me

Monday, August 19, 2024

My Curly Knife

 



I was trying to tell Tommy which knife I wanted after he brought me a short paring knife after I asked him for the long, serrated knife. He knows what serrated means. But, brought me a short one. He knew I wanted a knife to slice a tomato. But, he did not know what a tomato knife was. This was the evening I was running 100.9 temp. 


Finally, out of frustration and lack of ability to think, I blurted out--"my curly knife". Well, he understood what I wanted. I laughed at both of us, that we could even call a knife 'curly.' 

This is the best knife I have ever had for slicing a tomato. I did buy these from a church who sells them for a fund-raiser twice year. I will order them from the Rada company from now own. The woman jerking me around about my car is the one who sells them. 

By the way, we have continued to call this the "curly knife." The thought still amuses me. I try to picture how to use a curly knife.  I suppose this will be a family joke and tradition. 

Back in the early 80s, I was at a house at a dinner and someone was fretting over not being able to slice tomatoes. I suggested the guy use a steak knife. The people standing around just about laughed me out of the kitchen. Finally, someone got a steak knife and easily sliced the tomatoes. I was vindicated and praised for being clever. Silly people. I had been using a steak knife for tomatoes for years.

Monday, I got lots done--5 phone calls, made two doctor appointments, bought my milk and ice cream at Public along with Nabisco Original Graham Crackers; filled car with gas, looked at a car, sent Tommy into PO to send off a UPS package--FAIL.  

My a2milk has risen to $5.39/half gallon!!! Unbelievable!

We drove a car--2017 Buick Enclave. Then, I was hot and tired so refused to do more. Daddy never drove anything but a Buick until I was in my 30s. This car car is older than I want. But, we will see. 

I lost five pounds, then decided to not take a pill for diabetes and feet are not so swollen. 

Right now, I will nap through the DNC. As much as I want to see it, I cannot stay away from a nap.

Okay, just now, I saw a shocking sight. Tommy has gotten out the Oxyclean to spray on his pants legs where he walks on them and makes them nasty. H would never let me hem his pants. Maybe now he will. Will miracles never cease?

Does anyone have an opinion on an Enclave?

Have regular milk prices risen? 

Have you ever used a Rada knife? 

 



20 comments:

  1. I have never used Rada. I have Cutco knives, and I don't know how I survived before we got them! They were very expensive, but worth every penny.
    I rarely buy milk, so I don't know, actually if it's gone up in price. The last time I bought milk, (which was last week in fact) it was on sale $1.39 for a half gallon, so I got one for baking/cooking. My parents didn't buy into the American hype about milk being necessary or even that good for you, so I didn't either.(They were right.) And, as DH was loathe to learn, it's poison for a diabetic. We drink water of we're thirsty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meg,
      These knives are not particularly expensive, but I like them.

      Delete
  2. I get my knives at the Mennonite store. Have for decades.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to see what our Mennonite store carries in knives.

      Delete
  3. I have lots of knives and they are different brands for different tasks. Cutco makes the best paring knife I have ever used. Cutco kitchen shears are the bomb also. My 8 and 10 inch chef knives are Wusthof. My boning knife blade broke and I replaced it with a very inexpensive one from Amazon that works perfectly fine. Though I have a few, my favorite serrated knife was bought at Dollar General. When we sold the lake house I brought it home and it is my go-to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      Sometimes, a cheap tool works just fine! I will have to look into Cutco.

      Delete
  4. Rada is the BEST!!! I have used a Rada paring knife for years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love my Rada paring knives!

      Delete
    2. Alice,
      I have only used Rada for about seven years, and am not disappointed.

      Delete
    3. Lana,
      They are truly great knives.

      Delete
  5. I have that knife too and love it. It's perfect for slicing a tomato.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our son had an Enclave that he bought used and drove it for many years. They loved it and had little trouble with it.

    I loved be my Rada tomato knife!

    My grandparents had a Buick LeSabre that they bought new and drove for 30 years. It was a tank and the steering wheel was huge! It was a 1960 something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lana,
      Good to know. The only thing I did not like was three row seats. The front sat like a dream. The second row is sort of bucket seats. There is no way a person could lie down.

      I can imagine how it was tank-like. We had a few tanks.

      Delete
    2. Can you fold away the third row of seats? We have a third row in our Odyssey and we have always had them folded into the floor. It's easy to forget they are even there.

      Delete
    3. Lana,
      Yes, the third row can be folded forward, but the second row must me moved forward for it to lie flat.

      Delete
  7. Hmm. I don't have a tomato knife. I use a bread knife to slice tomatoes, and it works perfectly well.

    My absolute favorite knife is my Wusthoff birds-beak paring knife. Couldn't function without it!

    Y'all are making me want a tomato knife.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      Breadknife, steak knife, as long as it works, it is fine with me. I have never heard of that kind of knife. Sounds cute.
      Rada sells this knife.

      Delete
    2. I have that knife too! You would not regret getting a Rada tomato knife. There's nothing like it!

      Delete
    3. Lana,
      I love it. After I used it to slice tomatoes, somehow Tommy did not give me a fork for ham, so it is a ham knife tonight.

      Delete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.