Contact Me

Sunday, August 18, 2024

Birds Gone and More About Dark Spot Reduction

 The birds are gone. I had not peeked at them for about weeks. I either forgot, felt too5 bad to go to that end of porch, or did not want to walk in wet grass. On Thursday, Tommy said he heard lots of birds in the planter. Finally, on Friday I decided to look. There was not a sign of a bird. The nest was empty. It was not disturbed. I guess they flew away. Now, I am sad there are no little furry peepers. 

Tommy tells me he sees hummingbirds on the flowers even though I put out no hummingbird feeders. 

I still feel awful from the first med or the second is having the same effect. I had things to do today. Nothing was done. We only left the house to get bananas. Tommy just told me he got up at 9 am to wake me since I said I wanted to go out. Then, when I indicated I did not, he came in and slept in his chair. He finally awoke after 2:30. He is feeling 'yucky' and does not feel like he can do anything. Hopefully, both of us will start feeling better.

Happily, the work week will be dry next week. There are things to do!--doctor lunch, car shopping, car selling 

At the store, besides bananas, he got more Cheerio bogo. Life bogo, Quaker's Old-Fashioned Oats bogo, and Fritos, Betty Crocker Brownie Mix bogo.  

Rain was somewhere close by our neighborhood. Flies were sticking. And, it takes Tommy so long to get inside that he lets flies inside. I do not blame him for how long it takes. Then, he cannot shoo them back out because he has both hands on the walker. No blame there either. However, then he chopped met and cooked it. Good! Then, two hours later the meat was sitting to 'cool' with flies landing on everything around me. He and meat were in the kitchen with flies. I was furious, but he said it had to cool. 

I was going to make spaghetti, but not with that meat. It is his. He is putting out another package for spaghetti. It seems he has no concept of sanitary!

I wanted tuna salad anyway, so I made and ate that while he was cooking meat. I will eat chicken breast, and he can eat the fly infested ground beef. He is okay with that. 

This new bed has developed a hole in the center that interferes with sleep! It has to go. It also made my knee hurt last night after weeks of not hurting. 

This popped up after I wrote about dark spots. The Safest and Most Effective Ways to Get Rid of Dark Spots (msn.com) Lots of these treatments I have never heard of. There is information for darker skin. 

Do you think it is necessary to leave meat out two hours to let it cool? 









12 comments:

  1. I think 2 hours to cool meat is sufficient. I will put it away sooner if it cools down enough before then. Sounds like the birds have flown the nest. Good saale on the bogofree cereals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belinda,
      Cooling with the lid on would work better to keep flies away! Gone birds made me sad and happy. Still no Special K for me, but it was a good deal.

      Delete
  2. Here we had the opposite problem. While don't know about two hours, but I don't put anything hot in the refrigerator because of condensation. DH, who, I might add, knows has known and will know NOTHING about food, did, more than once, in our early
    days, find something cooling on the stove or on the counter, and put it in the refrigerator. He ruined several things that way, including a custard pie, by making it weep from putting it in the refrigerator while it was hot. I have also had unidentified culprits warp cookie sheets by running cold water on them while they were still hot. (That's not why they warped, doncha' know, just ask!) And, I watched in horror as eldest son caused my ceramic coated cast iron Dutch oven to crack by doing the same thing! That said, l have cats who have been known to get on the counter when my back is turned, and we had very big dogs, who, despite their size, were stealth like in stealing food, so anything that is left out for any length of time, gets covered. I also don't like the thought of dust getting on the food. (Leave a glass of water out overnight, and look at the dust on the surface the next morning to see what I mean.) Baked goods, like, say, a cake cooling on the rack get a flour sack towel draped over them, foods in hot pots and pans, like browned ground beef, have the lids put on them.
    How do you reheat all this meat you cook at once? I can't imagine cold ground beef being appetizing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meg,
      I have repeatedly warned Tommy about putting cold water on hot cookie sheet, stainless steel pot. He just says, "You told me that already." I don't trust him.
      I have told him to put a clean dish towel over food. He doesn't. Oh, dust on food. Yes, I know dust and critters settle on anything. He says I am paranoid.
      Tommy reheats a portion of chicken for three minutes. I want mine heated 30 seconds. I also want ground beef heated 30 seconds initially. I then stir and add another 30 seconds. This is only a 700 watt or whatever, not even a strong microwave.

      Delete
  3. You can buy picnic fly covers cheaply on Amazon - it's like a mesh dome that fits over dishes and keeps the bugs off

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. obscure,
      I have had those and used them outdoors, just never on a pan of chopped beef.

      Delete
  4. I cover items that are thawing but have also been known to place them in the microwave or cold oven just to free up counter space.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janet.
      The oven and microwave are good hiding places! LOL

      Delete
  5. I have it on good authority leftovers etc. should be put away after half an hour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urspo,
      Sounds about right to me. They are probably safe up to two hours. But, with flies buzzing around the house, time is not the thing I worry about here.

      Delete
  6. Cooked meat not eaten immediately should be cooled IN THE REFRIGERATOR. That nonsense about "letting it sit for two hours" before refrigerating is a holdover from the days of iceboxes. Yes, hot steamy food would melt the ice much faster, so folks were advised to let it cool to room temp first so as not to waste the week's ice delivery.

    Modern refrigeration makes that counter cooling period completely unnecessary, as well as ill-advised. Shove it in the fridge (lid left ajar, so any steam can evaporate) and be done with it. And spare youself a case of food poisoning!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sue,
    I won't usually put really hot food right next to milk or a chunk of cheese, but after we have served ourselves, the food is cool enough. Plus, stirring things a bit cools enough. He never understands the principle of refrigeration in modern times.

    ReplyDelete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.