Contact Me

Sunday, March 31, 2024

Easter Day Past



 Easter dinner did not go as planned. I had a plate ready at 8 pm and finished by 8:25. Yes. it was late, but no fretting about that. 

Tommy awoke at about 1 pm. Just now, he said he woke twice to go the the bathroom and could not go back to sleep for an hour or so. 

I needed celery for potato salad, so we left. At one store, there was only one working electric cart. But, The horn had to be depressed to make it drive. That lasted about ten minutes. My left thumb was having spasms, so we left. 

At the next store, I quickly gathered the list. First, I was going to get celery, but the list grew in the car. I got celery, 2 onions, hornet spray, RainX antifog, Oxyclean, Oxyclean for black, Precise V5 pens, Pack of Sharpies. Tommy said it only took me 45 min or less.

We were home by 4 pm. Then, we started on the rest of dinner, which meant finishing the potato salad. Tommy did three loads of clothes which I assured him could wait. He watered the plants. 

I always put the hot, drained potatoes on top of the onions in the bottom of the bowl since I think the onion flavor is distributed in the potatoes better when potatoes are hot. I asked Tommy to bring the bowl of onions and potatoes to my chair since I fear dropping them. I asked him to bring the Miracle Whip and put mustard on the top of potatoes, about a teaspoon. Well, he brought it in with a full two Tablespoons of mustard. But, it was okay. Long ago, I used gherkins and dill chips chopped for potato salad. When I injured my left hand, I could no longer use a knife. Then, I switched to dill and sweet relishes. Using pickles is so much better. 

We had for dinner: ham slices, potato salad, and green beans. of course, Tommy had no potato salad, just potato salad without eggs. He started complaining about have celery in the potato salad. I had no idea that bothered him. 

I bought a Lindt gold bunny for us. Usually, I surprise him. This time he knew. When he woke, he went in and brought our bunnies in. I wanted to eat it, but knew it was too much sugar. So, I ate chopped celery between bites of dark chocolate bunny, hoping there was enough fiber for sugar I was eating.  There are no more bunnies, so no temptation beyond today. He had milk chocolate bunny. 

So, it was Easter, one of the prettiest Easters in a long time. There were families in yards, eating and children running about, no doubt after an egg hunt. Our dinner was rather late, but it was done and eaten with a good mood. There were only the two of us. Hopefully my ill friends had a good Easter. They all have multiple children and grandchildren living within a few blocks. 

I was going to make a lemon dessert, but I had a big juicy apple between our lunch and dinner. It was so juicy it ran down my arm and chin. It was a wonderful Red Delicious apple. I suppose I will have Greek yogurt and blueberries later. 

Tomorrow, I have a huge tomato to go with the potato salad that I hope is as wonderful as it looks and smells. 

Now, I have to hang up wet clothes and fold the ones from the dryer. 

How was your Easter?

Did you cook? 

Visit?

Entertain?

10 comments:

  1. We make our potato salad very similar. I made some for Easter Sunday too. I boiled eggs and put some in there and Bailey doesn't like celery either, so I left that out. I put my onions in with the hot potatoes too. I also add just a smidge of mustard too. Bailey loves it because I serve it hot with dinner and then the next day it's cold for meals.

    It was just the two of us here as well, no entertaining for us. No eggs or egg hunting either. Bt it was a very nice day and the weather was beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belinda,
      We do make it similar or alike. This potato salad was all set for hotdogs with all the mustard. I thought I was the only person who put onions in with hot potatoes. The onion was chopped too large for my taste this time.

      If I had wanted to do something, I sure did not have time with all the shopping and chopping.. .lol.

      Delete
  2. Saturday night, I made macaroni and cheese for the neighbor's cookout. On Sunday, I woke at 6AM to put a roast on. Potatoes, carrots, onions, celery, and a huge roast. We attended church along with both my adult children and all three of my grands. We ate lunch after, and then went to the neighbors house for a lovely afternoon in the yard. They do probably 1,000 eggs. Hubby gives them money to put in several of them so that all the kids get some money in with the chocolate and treats. There were probably a dozen kids hunting eggs. I agree with you, it was the most lovely Easter weather in years. Hubby and I were so tired we neither wanted to cook, so went out to eat for supper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alice,
      You had a very busy Easter season. That is a lot of eggs. Are any of them real eggs or all plastic. I would hate to boil that many. Money is a nice touch and generous of your husband. All that celebrating in the outdoors is wearing, so I don't blame your going out to eat. Isn't it nice to not have to worry about wet ground, rain, and the damp? The weather continues to be warm and dry for another day, but only one wet day, then dry. I love it.

      Delete
  3. We had a great Easter: Ham, macaroni and cheese, broccoli casserole, Hawaiian rolls (baking my own didn't happen once mimosas were poured) lemon poppyseed copycat "Nothing Bundt Cake." Deviled eggs for appetizers. I feel like I cooked all day, but I had tons of company. One bad thing: Neighbor walked two of his cows to his "pasture" (a wooded hill) about 10 acres from me, leaving his one poor cow on his house's depleted field all alone. At dinner, I looked out the window, and there were his two cows on our septic mound! I was livid, . Boys herded cows off the mound to the back (mound apparatus can't handle the weight of a riding mower, much less two cows) while I drove to the neighbor's . Poor dears are STARVING which is why they keep getting out...and I may have said exactly that. Their miniature goats wound up in our yard one evening. I herded them in my chicken run for safety, (coyotes) and went to inform owners. It was 3 p.m. the next day by the time they retrieved their goats....poor things had no food beyond what scraps kids knew were safe, and no water beyond the bucket my kids kept refilling. I try not to get in people's businesses, but when you border on animal cruelty, all bets are off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dinner sounds delicious! It seemed I cooked all day too. And, we do have leftovers.
      I hope the septic mound. Damage could appear later. Poor cows! Animal control might get the goats faster than he did. People who lived in the rent house next to me abused dogs all the time. This was one neighbor after another. I am terrified of dogs and rescued them all the time.

      Delete
  4. My Easter was a nice mix of church and family activities and some time at home watching tv.
    Your potato salad sounds pretty much like mine although I often can't be bothered with eggs and I don't always have celery. Ok well, I guess there are significant differences!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. kylie,
      Your Easter sounds like a good mix, not to much excitement, not up and going, family catchup and home with amusement--like it should probably be for all of us.
      Yes, there are differences since eggs and celery sort of make it my potato salad, something I have liked all my life. I can eat potato salad made by others, but really need mine. The celery and eggs are what Tommy hates, so yours would suit him fine.

      Delete
  5. Our Easter was very nice.

    We had brunch at Union Station (where we met 11 years ago to the day) & visited a LEGO exhibit. Models 2-3x our height! When we got home, we watched a funny movie & napped. Then back to work on Monday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your Easter sounds exceptionally good. The LEGO exhibit must have been fun.

      Delete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.