Contact Me

Wednesday, March 13, 2024

Shiny Brite and Pests

 Do you have Shiny Brite ornaments? I have about a dozen. Not only that, I have two empty boxes that do say Shiny Brite. These ornaments are worth lots. Even the empty boxes are valuable. 

The link below is no longer available.

These Vintage Christmas Tree Ornaments Are Worth Good Money Today | Watch (msn.com)

Try this one.

Shiny Brite Ornaments Vintage - Search Shopping (bing.com)

Tuesday night, I sat up all night, until 8:30 am.  My stomach was jumping. That is the only way I can explain it. But, that is the way it felt just before throwing up. If I could just NOT eat, I would feel better. Then, the fear from the other end has kept me running to the bathroom. 

About noon, it seemed as though chest congestion was going to do me in. I have no idea what is happening. Then, my other kidney started hurting worse than the right kidney. 

Tuesday night while I sat up, I made a list from the ads online. Of course, today we left too late to really shop. We left here are 6 and got back at 7:30 pm. The holdup was a prescription. I made all the arrangements yesterday to pick up that night or this morning. We got there and there was noone attending the window. A sign said they were short-staffed, to come inside. 

That meant Tommy had to go in! I saw people go in and come right back out with a prescription, so I was annoyed. It turned out that the computer goofed. Yeah, that was the reason. 

As we drove through the parking lot to Publix, I saw Burger King straight ahead. So, you know what happened. It was only a Whopper Jr. with lettuce, tomato, and lettuce. 

As it was starting to get darker, I scrapped the list for only two items. He bought water and my 1/2 birthday item. The choices were a bar cake, ice cream, frozen yogurt and something else frozen. This offer of 1/2 price on these items was welcome. Then, he called and said there was no chocolate cake. I chose red velvet. 

I asked him what kind of frosting. It was so funny as he said, "it is off-white" and continued. I told him I did not ask him the color, but what was in the icing. Well, he finally found someone who went to the cake and picked it up and read to him. He did not know it would be on the label. 

It was dark when we arrived home. Of course, I feel like throwing up and the lower problem is back and body systems have expressed great unhappiness. 

A Surprise

When I awoke, Tommy had contacted a pest control and there was an email waiting. So, I called and we are getting pest control that comes initially, and then every few months. I was shocked. Fleas and roaches were the focus of my complaints. Tommy is having the whole yard treated for fleas. There is a list of other pests they control, too. I never thought I would poison the whole yard. I never thought he would pay for something this expensive. 

Hopefully, this last spraying and spraying will last to hold back the fleas until the guy can get here next week. There is no telling how much poison we will ingest from this professional spraying. I think I saw one small spider in this house, no ants, just roaches and a few tiny bugs caught on a glue board. Oh, I did see one ant coming in the front door. I killed it and saw no more. 

I have been asking him every few days about the pest control and mowing guy. However, he was the one to mention pest control...not my idea. Yes, he did call Keith to mow. 

Do you have Shiny Brite ornaments? 

Have you ever had them?

Do you or have you ever had pest control? 

Does it work? Are you wary of the poison? 

14 comments:

  1. I live in the South so of course I have pest control. They do not treat the inside of the house, just the outside. We have those gigantic roaches that live underneath the pine straw and a few of them seem to find a way in mainly in the warmer month.
    Plus the same company has our termite bond.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      Thanks. I really don't want them to do anything inside. Tommy just told me he has his termite bond with the same people. They don't treat the yard until the baits show termite activity. I find that strange. I think termites could be in the crawl space building their tunnels to get inside the house. Can you tell me here or on lgd113@yahoo.com what company you use?

      Those gigantic roaches are a nightmare. They lived under my huge rocks in my hard. They even lived under bricks around the yard. I hate them. They did not need pinestraw, just a rock. I am certain they live in his crawlspace!

      Delete
  2. I actually just hired a company to pickup dog poop from our backyard. With 3 dogs, it can be hard to find it all, & it gums up the lawn mower. We also requested a lawn deodorizer spray. My husband sprays for weeds in the spring. We treat our dogs for fleas but have never treated the yard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I had even one dog, I would be hiring a dog poop picker upper. I never heard of a lawn deodorizer spray. Is that for people with dogs? We are treating the lawn because of people around us who have dogs. I have never had this problem before--dogs, so many and so close. Tommy cannot use a sprayer with his walker, so this is because of his disability.

      Delete
    2. The deodorizer should reduce any feces or urine odors after clean-up. The only time we've had an issue was fleas was when we lived by a neighbor with chickens. Their yard was infested.

      Delete
    3. Jane,
      I had chickens and never had a flea. I would think chickens would eat them. They do keep down tick infestations. They also removed the grubs, too.

      Delete
  3. We don't have pest control because of the cats, but we do have the glue boards hidden so the cats cannot find them. I don't have any Shiny Brite ornaments. I've not heard of them before, so I'm off to take a look on google.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belinda.
      Cats do help keep down all sorts of pests. I like glue boards. I caught half a dozen or more really tiny bugs I could not identify. Roaches were the only bugs I ever saw. You may recognize those ornaments from long ago. Let me know.

      Delete
    2. I definitely remember the ornaments from long ago. My grandmother definitely had some of those. They are beautiful!

      Delete
    3. Belinda,
      In looking over the ornaments and prices, I do have some of the most expensive ones. Yes, beautiful.

      Delete
  4. When I lived in the southwest I absolutely had to have pest control. I simply transferred the contract from the previous owner. I wasn't wild about it, but neither did I want pests. He came regularly, and only sprayed the outside, but the contract included any visits if I saw anything inside. I also had a termite bond with that service. Same with our Panhandle place. Fortunately, and because we take care of our places and pets, so I haven't ever really had a pest problem. Our whole area DID have a problem with what are called wharf rats...they get into places like garages, barns and pump houses, particularly if you store feed there, regardless of how immaculate you keep those areas. The best defense is a barn cat, but I can't bear to let/keep cats outside. Plus, cats who go outdoors get fleas. So, we, and the neighboring farm, had a service which placed and monitored traps...worth every penny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meg,
      I have no problem with barn cats. If it is a barn cat, it would not want to be indoors. Of course, if a person just put the indoor cat in the barn, it might be unhappy. Proper shelter keeps animals warm enough.

      Delete
  5. I'm glad you are getting pest control. It seems like it's a non-negotiable part of southern living. DH sprays our exterior foundation yearly for ants/earwigs/etc and sprays the interior sill as well. It works well so we haven't had to call in the professionals yet.

    Ticks are the real bugaboo here in the northeast, because of Lyme disease.

    I know all about Shiny Brite ornaments. Growing up, everyone had them. I still have and display treasured ones. They are certainly not as "shiny brite" as they used to be, but hold very fond memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      If Tommy were capable, he could spray outdoors. He has had silverfish in the past and never treated them, so I am sure they are in the closets, at least. If I ever get a tick on me, you will hear me all the way to your place. I had one attach to my head once when I was about 8, so that was enough.

      Mine aren't so 'shiny brite' either. I am a box saver, so the boxes will be rare and worth selling.

      Delete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.