Contact Me

Tuesday, March 5, 2024

It's a Beginning

 


What have you done lately to 'seize the day?'

I have another question. I found a woman to clean. As I spoke with her, her husband took the phone and talked with me. Her business is in her name. At least the cleaning business on the business card is in her name. He said the daughter is coming to in order to translate. I had to cancel, forgot why. I talked with her for five minutes and she did not seem at all confused as to what I said. She and husband are Hispanic. 

Now, I am not sure what is happening. The daughter may need to drive her. Or, maybe she does not like to drive. Not sure. So, when the daughter comes, should I let her work, too? Vacuuming up to things will work for me, but lifting a few boxes would make the place cleaner. I am not expecting anyone to lift heavy boxes. Besides, anyone can use my walker to transport a box to another room, which I don't need anyone to do. 

When I say I want someone to vacuum, how much translating is needed. Besides, I can speak a bit of Spanish. And, I can type what I want and have it translated for her. 

I think $25 is a lot to vacuum as much as I need. I asked for an hourly rate after he told me she charge $25 for vacuuming. Once she is here, I will pay what she wants at least once. I will not argue or short her. 

What is your take on this situation. I will not pay the daughter a dime if she does nothing but translate. 


9 comments:

  1. From her / their perspective, that charge for vacuuming is probably fair. They're likely assuming that it's a house-worth of vacuuming, and maybe moving things around to vacuum behind and such. Unless they've seen the space and what is needed and required, I'm not sure agreeing to a price after one conversation was the best route.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are correct that it was not the best route for either of us. I will ask when they are here unless I get a chance to talk with her before she arrives. I was tired, flea-bit, and just wanted her here.

      Delete
  2. $25 seems very reasonable. I'm not sure of what they charge per hour, typically, but I'd expect it to be at least that, if not more. Plus if it were me, I'd probably have like an hour or two minimum charge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One,
      I really had no chance to talk with her since her husband grabbed the phone. I will talk with her directly unless the daughter decides her mother cannot function! He did not give any indication if that was per hour or per job. I am quite sure this will take more than an hour.

      Delete
  3. Hope it works out and you get a good vacuum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like One Family said, $25/hour is reasonable, and, in fact, what I paid several years ago when I had a regular housekeeper. AND, there was a two hour minimum. I paid that flat rate whether my housekeeper was alone, or had her assistant.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The way I think of it is, you pay a rate for the job they do. The way they split it between them is their business. Two people working for one hour or one person working for two hours should be the same price.
    I hope you are happy with the price and the job

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do hope that you warn them you have a flea issue, so they can dress appropriately and not bring any back to their own home/animals.

    ReplyDelete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.