Contact Me

Wednesday, March 27, 2024

So Excited!

 


                       Delightful Little Finger Carrot: Petite & Sweet (thegardenmagazine.com)

I looked online for the ad for Piggly Wiggly. Found it. Pepsi products were $3.49 for the 12-pack if you bought 5. So, I was excited for Tommy. I went in so I could put the five 12-packs in the electric cart basket. No, not at this Pig. I bought four pounds of carrots and left sorely disappointed. The carrots were cheap, we like them, and we eat lots of carrots. 

On to Food Giant. Tommy went in for the ad. We bought nothing.

Publix was our sweet spot. I had a list and told Tommy not to get certain items. Nature's Honey Wheat Bread was bogo again. Since we still have half a loaf left, we can still get this deal later in the ad week. He bought Philadelphia Cream Cheese bogo again, but the original like I wanted. I will use the 1/3 less fat version he bought for something where it is not evident. The mouth feel of the 1/3 less version is not good. Eggs were $3.71 for Grade A extra-large. We needed eggs, so I thought Easter would bring a good price. I suppose this was it. 

Yet to get for various reasons, but bogo at Publix: Campbell's Cream of Mushroom soup, Cheerios, bread. Red potatoes are 5# for $3.99. Tommy said we have plenty of potatoes. Maybe by next Tuesday, we will need potatoes.

We sat at green shrubs in a parking lot and had a chicken snack.  

Then, we stopped at Walgreens for a prescription for both of us. There was a wait, but it was bearable. 

We arrived home just in time for Tommy to see Jeopardy. We both love it. 

While I was waiting for Tommy in Food Giant and Publix, I managed two fruitful calls. I have an appointment with dermatologist to have growth removed below my eye. Oops! I forgot to make an appointment at the same time for Tommy. I called friend for more info on storm door she said gave her friend fits, trying to keep it repaired. I try to make my waits in the car count. 

Moreover, I slept well last night, and the day was beautiful, dry, and only had a slight breeze. 

After we watched Jeopardy and 30 minutes of the news, we went outdoors. I sowed the Cosmos seeds in a pot where something died off over the fall and winter. If it comes up, it comes up. I have pink Alyssum to plant anywhere there is a pot that looks dead. We may have two flowers in the same pot. Then, there are the carrots. The seed packet says,"12" pot, container variety." We do have empty pots and potting mix. I still want to get cayenne to grow and make pepper jelly.

We went out together to garden...lol...ten minutes of sowing flower seeds and more for carrots. We are such great gardeners. I lost the carrot seeds before we went out. I wanted to sow the allysium. As I opened the package, I realized it had been opened before and was taped. I shook out two seeds. TWO SEEDS. So, where and when did I sow the rest. I decided to sow the Cosmos in the same pot. Why not? 

There were still bits of root and plants above ground when I sowed both those. I used a gardening fork to pull out some of the dead growth above ground. We will see what happens.

After I could not find the seeds, I searched high and low. I even shook out my day planner. Tommy helped me search by using a flashlight to shine under the footrest on my chair while I held up the quilt. We do this all the time. Not there. When we came in, he wanted the other remote. I did the same thing, putting up the footrest and holding up the quilt. He saw the remote AND the carrot seeds. Mostly, I had searched on the left side of my chair. The seeds were on the right side! I have decided I will put the seeds on toilet paper to get them into the 12-inch pot without spilling them or hurting my back. 

I put a fake snake over the flower seed pot. When I plant the carrots, I will put a snake over that, too. I don't want birds to have carrots seeds for a snack.  Have you ever planted Petite Sweet Little Finger carrots? 

It has been a pleasant day with lots accomplished except for planting carrot seeds. We have heard nothing from the pest control company. Maybe manager listened to the phone call like he said he would and heard me being told someone would come Wednesday or Thursday.

Any advice about carrot growing? (other than the info under the carrots above)

How was your day?   


11 comments:

  1. Ugh, I don't like it when an advertised deal doesn't go as planned. It's too bad the Piggly Wiggly didn't have the soda on sale at that location. I'm glad to hear your two phone calls were fruitful. I'm seeing the dermatologist today. Those appointments can be scheduled out so long it's hard to get one here anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belinda,
      I was so excited! Maybe they are at a store near here. Getting calls out of the way means I have that time at home and do not have to call later. I am always shocked to get an appointment really soon. But, I forgot to make one for Tommy at the same time.

      Delete
  2. This is an odd Publix ad as it started last week and runs through Saturday. They are closed on Easter and I wonder what happens for the beginning of next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lana,
      I always am thrown by the odd ads. They always do this when they close for a holiday, but it still catches me unawares.

      Delete
  3. carrots need sandy soil and i think 'high nitrogen' thin them out and see what happens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urspo,
      Thanks. This will be my first carrot harvest.

      Delete
    2. I remember if the soil has too much clay they come out looking like octopuses

      Delete
    3. Urspo,
      Oh, No! I certainly don't want that.

      Delete
    4. Urspo,
      Oh, No! I certainly don't want that.

      Delete
  4. No advice about growing carrots from me! I tried to grow mini ones in a large tub and failed miserably. I hope you have much better luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      This a smaller, using a 12 inch pot. I do hope I have some success.

      Delete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.