Contact Me

Friday, March 8, 2024

My Mother's Birthday

 Today, March 8, 1921, my mother was born, six months after her father was killed. She had an older brother-6, and a sister-4. An older brother had the year before, shortly after his birth. They went to live with her mother's mother on 'the old homeplace' my great-grandfather had settled in the 1800s when he came from North Carolina and bought 90 acres. My mother would be 103-years-old today.

Back in the 1970s and beyond, Spring break for Alabama schools was the first full week in March as I remember it. So, we made it for her birthday most years. There was the occasional year that her birthday did not fall during the break, so those were the only years my three children and I did not descend on her home. 

Today was spent arguing with furniture delivery system. I do not want a delivery that is scheduled from 7-9 am in the morning. I was told I could have changed it. "They will call you the day before and you can tell them when to come." Now, it would just have to be canceled. I desperately need this mattress and base. 

I did find out online that they will vacuum the space where the bed will replace the one taken out. Of course, they will wear shoe covers and gloves, thankfully. The vacuuming and shoe covers and gloves are in the contract that no one told me about. I certainly do not want this heavy bed and frame put on 40-year-old dusty carpet. I cannot imagine not vacuuming a space for that many years. If I could handle the vacuum, I would have no problem vacuuming after they removed the old mattresses and bed frame. Tommy is keeping the full-size bed frame. 

We had plans such as grocery ads pickup and grocery shopping. But, the rain came in early and stayed all day. Tommy went out in sprinkles to get the mail, but no laundry was done since he must walk in the rain. He would do it if I asked, but I won't ask.

I have moved a few things in the bedroom this afternoon, had a nap. Now, at 10:30 pm, we need to move more things in the bedroom. I am still very disappointed with the information I have been given, especially disinformation by the company. 

Tommy says the plants in the dark laundry room are all really growing tall, so it is time for those to come out into the sun and rain and have some fertilizer.  And, plans for carrots are coming along.

Did the rain spoil plans for today? 

Or, was it good for things you have planted?

4 comments:

  1. The garbageman came here today even in the rain to take off trash, which always makes me happy to see it gone. That is great that they are going to vacuum under the bed for you. I'm sure it's very dusty after 40 years. Spring Break time already, wow, this year has flown by already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belinda,
      Since Tommy has to pull it out himself, taking two steps with walker and then reaching back to pull it to him, if the garbage is out, I am glad it goes. I dread the day a dog pulls it over when it is at the road too long. Tommy took great care, he said with this house when he first bought it. I think he had just turned 30. He said he would get down on his knees and sponge any spills of coffee away. Now, he cannot do thing like that. That bed had been sitting there since he moved here in 1980, so longer than 40 years.

      Delete
  2. oh to have rain to spoil the day! Rain would make my day better really.

    ReplyDelete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.