Contact Me

Monday, March 11, 2024

Liar, Liar and TMI and 60th Reunion

TMI section is marked below, so you will know when to stop.  

I was told today that mattresses are measured from the middle instead of on the side. No, not true at all. Every person in the mattress business laughed hard from Canada to Cullman. 

My new mattress is not helping me go to sleep faster or sleep longer. I did not buy it to put me to sleep. However, I hurt less when awake and walking is easier. Plus, I can turn over and get in and out of the bed more easily. My lower back thanks me. Sunday night, I could not keep my eyes open, so I went to sleep around 10:30.  Great, right? /s  Well, I slept two hours and was only able to go back to sleep at 1 pm today. 

Sunday night, I dropped the wireless remote trying to pick it up from the bedside table. When I awake, I need to go the bathroom RIGHT NOW. So, this was an emergency. The rules for using the mattress state  that I cannot get off the bed with head or feet elevated even a little bit. So, Tommy had to come and get it for me. 

Now, the small, slippery remote lives in a mesh bag, the kind to wash lingerie. I can feel the little control buttons. I just leave it in the bed and sleep with it. I need to find a ribbon, tie it to the bag, and pin the bag to my pillow or the sheet. Okay, I am using the ribbon that was tied around the sheets like a gift. Maybe I should just tie it to my wrist. /s

TMI below.

I cannot imagine what I ate, but it appeared to be food poisoning. The problem is that Tommy and I ate exactly the same thing and it was all prepared here and very fresh. Leftovers were only one day old. No, I never threw up. But, there was laundry to be done, lots of laundry. Lots! 

However, it is not all bad. I was down 15 pounds from the last time I weighed. I was in a doctor's office. I weighed and had on a long, heavy sweater with a cell phone in my pocket and heavy shoes on. So, I probably actually lost almost ten pounds in two minutes. Tommy believes it was an overly heavy olive oil dressing on pasta. I think he is correct. If I could do this once a week for ten weeks, I could love a cool 100 lbs. 

Since I am having 60th Class Reunion, that would be great. That sound harsh--60 years since I graduated. What reunion is coming up for you this year? 

11 comments:

  1. Yes, make sure your remote is in something and attached to the bed - for easy use.
    I had my 50th reunion last fall. It sure doesn't seem possible. We are now having lunches with some of the classmates attending every 2 months. Have lost a lot of people - so keeping in touch seems important.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl,
      It is tight. I cannot imagine what would happen to what if I get off the bed with it raised.
      Sixty does not seem possible, either. About 20 years ago, I suggested emailing people and they did not use email! Memphis is too far away to meet up. I would enjoy that. I think a group does meet at a bbq place once a month.

      Delete
  2. What's ironic is I've been asked to potentially organize our 20th high school reunion next year (I'm 37). I'm currently polling my classmates to gauge interest. I live 4 hours from my hometown, so I will not agree to do it unless there's considerable interest. Nor will I put up any of my own money for the deposit.

    - Tiffany

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tiffany,
      I don't blame you for not putting up your money for deposits. Is this the first reunion you have had? Until the 55th, we had a party that included a dinner, so the fee for attending was $90 or so. For the 55th, we went to a restaurant, where the room was rented, had dinner, talked, listened to members talk up front, and went away early. I suppose we are getting old. Before, there was dancing and skits and a band or dj. We will have to drive from Birmingham to Memphis, so will spend the night. Years ago, I just got in the car and came home that night. Now, we could not handle that, so it will be a stay overnight. You need a committee to help out.

      Delete
    2. There's no way my classmates would pay $90; they're already balking at $35pp 🙄 I'm brainstorming ideas to cut costs. I don't have a formal committee, but I have had a couple people offer to help. I plan to create a sign-up sheet for help with a few tasks, e.g. checking guests in. I've planned a party [for my Grandpa, during COVID no less!] from 4h away. I'm confident I can make it happen, even if it's not a big turn out.

      - Tiffany

      Delete
    3. Tiffany,
      We had some fancy parties, so $90 was not at all our of line. And, we had large turnouts. I think the key was having them every five years since we graduated in 1964. Other classes have gotten wind of our shindigs and want to join us, but so far the committee has said no. Would the $35 include a meal and venue cost? If so, that cost is not out of line. If everyone is for it, just have a dinner where each person orders what they want and that is the only cost. Restaurants don't charge for rooms for a group.

      Delete
    4. Ours certainly won't be fancy, but I'll make sure it's nice! We had a graduating class of maybe 150-175 (town population 9k). $35 would cover the cost of the venue (including the space, tables, chairs, linens & real dishware), a casual dinner (e.g. taco bar), unlimited soda/tea/water, taxes, gratuity & maaaaybe a few decorations. Cash bar. I'm hoping we can stream music so we don't have to pay for a DJ. I'm currently drafting letters to send to local business requesting sponsorships. I'm starting with the businesses who sponsored our yearbook*. I'm including a personalized letter, copy of the 2005 ad* & a few few student spotlights ("where we are now"). 🤞🏼 even just a few sponsorships come in. I don't want anyone to miss out because of cost.

      Delete
  3. I left my hometown at 18 and never looked back. Stayed in touch with only a handful of girls I cared about; still in touch with my very best friend. The boys in my class were douchebags.

    I have not ever been to a HS reunion. My best friend wants me to go, but I'm not sure I want to. I look at pix from the last reunion and think to myself, "Who ARE those old people?!? What could I possibly say to them?" Frankly, I'd rather hang out at the bar with her DH and my DH, because they are so much fun.

    I never had much in common with them back then. I doubt I'd have much in common with them now. I don't even know who I was back then, but regardless, I am not the same person.

    Maybe I could learn what other people thought of me back then, but how would that be useful, given that that person no longer exists? How can I care even a modicum about people I haven't seen in decades?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      Tommy refused to go to my reunion because he said "he went to one reunion of his, hated it, and would never go to another one. Well, I did not ask him to go to his reunion, just mine. He went in 2020 and had a good time. Something happened at his. I don't know what.
      If you feel so strongly, not going is fine. Yes, go to a bar and have fun.
      I only missed two of my every five year reunions.

      Delete
  4. I didn't attend one until my 50th Last October we had our 55th. It was rather like yours. It was held at a restaurant with a large patio area. There was music, a buffet lunch drinks and lots of visiting and photo taking. Do you remember when I had that grandma slumber party? That was because of the 55th. One friend came from Sacramento, and the other from Italy. It was a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janet,
      I remember that grandma slumber party. It sounded like fun. If this reunion is like the last, it will be dinner and talking. The organizers are not including dancing anymore.

      Delete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.