Contact Me

Wednesday, March 20, 2024

Window Shopping

 Today, we went to Cullman--mail, lunch pickup, cans to salvage for money-$6.15, Publix, Lowe's. Off in the distance when we came over hills, there was a haze. Other than that, the day was sunny and beautiful. The haze was from controlled burns all over the state. It was eerie. 

Plus, I window shopped. This place sells guns, fishing equipment, knives, shoes, canning supplies, kitchenware, tape, nails, paintbrushes and painting supplies, can crushers, Ball jars/lids/flats, gaskets for Pressure canners, Hummingbird feeders, hammers, cast iron little red rocker, coffeemakers, car fobs. They also test pressure canner pressure.

Tommy love the sign on the door--Wanted-Browsers    No Experience Necessary. 

When I need something, I park in front of store in the angle parking on the street, call them, and tell them what I need. Someone brings it out for me to examine and buy by giving the guy a  card. While the person is inside, I window shop from the car. Today, I had the guy bring back some of of pancake cooker. It was cast iron with a wooden handle. The batter made little poufs of the pastry. Or, you could make something savory...for $49. It was too heavy for me, not something I wanted to stand and make, and too expensive for the little use I would get. While he was talking to me, I saw a ladle hanging in the window, so he brought it out for me to examine. I did buy that. 

Isn't that a lovely way to shop? Of course, it only works well when you know exactly what you want. When I was capable of walking in, I loved to look at all the things I had never seen before or just did not know still existed. There are probably 10,000 different types of items in this store. It was actually three stores but this guy has doors between, cut to make easy access. I often describe it as a mercantile. 

There was only curly kale at Lowes, and there were no cayenne pepper plants so I can make hot pepper jelly. 

Before covid the lunch was an eat-in experience. They changed it to a pick-up and have not changed back. Lunch: ham, collard greens, kidney beans, cornbread, Buddy Bars. Everything was delicious. We ate it all. Well, Tommy ate my kidney beans. I told Tommy I would not eat the cornbread if there were sugar in it. No sugar. 

The other two plates were brought home for our dinner. Tommy can get that while I sleep. We picked up two plates for my ninety-two-year-old friend who is really ill with chest congestion and her husband who is two years older. I am worried about her. 

I am off for a nap. 

Resident Alien was on when he woke me at 9. He turned off the ac, so I awoke so hot. He ate dinner without me fretting there was only leftovers that maybe he did not want again. 

Do you have a store where you can park and the people who own the store will get what you need or want and bring it to the car? 

22 comments:

  1. I loooove cornbread with a bit of sugar!

    My husband owns an old-fashioned meat market. They don't have the staff to shop for or offer delivery service, but he does do it for one elderly gentleman (a vet). He even drives it to his house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tiffany,
      You are not a Southerner!
      That is very generous of your husband to help the elderly gentleman.
      I once changed light bulbs as needed and took out the garbage every week for an elderly woman. She said, with tears in her eyes, "You do things that keep me out of a nursing home." The things I did were nothing to me, but everything to her." We never know how much of an impact our actions mean to others.

      Delete
    2. I'm definitely not! 😂 Grew up in Illinois, now living in Missouri (with a brief stint in Kansas).

      Delete
    3. Tiffany,
      I don't like sugar in my cornbread. Are you talking about sugar on hot, buttered cornbread? That I like. As a child we wanted freshly baked cornbread, buttered with a bit of sugar sprinkled on it. Mama did the sugar sprinkling so we did not put so much on it as we were very little children.

      Delete
  2. You're probably going to cringe when I tell you my recipe, but we love it!

    • 1 box Jiffy corn muffin mix
    • 1 box Jiffy white or yellow cake mix
    • 1 can cream corn
    • 1 egg
    • 1 tablespoon sugar

    I don't put sugar on top, just butter. It's moist & sweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cringe? I was retching. Maybe if I tasted it. Okay?

      Delete
    2. I got the recipe from the owner of a soda fountain counter shop that sold it with the soup of the day. Mmmm 😂

      Delete
    3. Tiffany,
      Can you send the recipe? I might try that. Have you ever had the Jiffy cornbread with cheese and broccoli. I do love that recipe.

      Delete
    4. • 1 box Jiffy corn muffin mix
      • 1 box Jiffy white or yellow cake mix
      • 1 can cream corn
      • 1 egg
      • 1 tablespoon (or less) sugar

      350° for 20 minutes I think 🤔 (or until a toothpick comes out clean). I grease the glass dish with butter to keep from sticking & put foil around the edges of the pan to keep the cornbread from getting too brown. When I take it out of the oven, I brush the top with butter & cover.

      I especially enjoy eating it with chicken chili or potato soup.

      I'm gonna warn you though.. it's very cakey & sweet. Not like southern cornbread.

      Delete
    5. I won't call it cornbread...lol. Thanks for the recipe. Anything with cake mix in it won't be mistaken for Southern cornbread.

      Delete
    6. Okay, I am going to post my favorite Jiffy Cornbread recipe, too! This is So. Much. Better. than the package directions.

      - 1 egg
      - 1/4 cup vegetable oil
      - 1/3 cup buttermilk
      - 1/2 cup sour cream
      - 2 generous Tbs diced jalapenos (optional)
      - 1 box Jiffy cornbread mix.

      Grease the bottom & sides of a 10" cast iron skillet generously with bacon grease. Set in the oven and preheat to 400 F.

      Measure the egg, oil, buttermilk, sour cream, & jalapenos into a large bowl. Whisk to combine. Dump in the box of Jiffy. Mix with a spatula until just combined.

      When the oven temp is at 400, pull the skillet out of the oven. Quickly pour in the batter and return the skillet to the oven. Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden. Devour with lots of butter!

      Delete
    7. I cannot eat jalapeno, so I will not be trying this. I am glad you made it better than just the boxed way.

      Delete
    8. You can try it without the jalapenos! They are strictly optional. This is a nice, moist cornbread that gets a delicious, crispy crust from the cast iron. As you Southern belles well know!

      Delete
    9. Sue,
      No thank you. It still has sugar.

      Delete
  3. Your lunches sound absolutely delicious! I've never had collard greens. I do like kale; are they at all similar?

    It was really nice of you to deliver meals to your friends. It really does feel good to help others.

    I don't know of anywhere I could get drive-up service like that except back in Midwestern small town. People look out for one another. I'm sure any of the local businesses would help out by providing car service to someone who called ahead.

    Guess I am a Damn Yankee for sure because I enjoy Jiffy Cornbread. That mix has 15 g of sugar (3-2/3 tsp) per serving, so there's no denying it's on the sweet side.

    Of course I never make it using the box directions. That shizz needs a lot of jazzing up with sour cream, buttermilk, vegetable oil, and diced jalapeno. And it requires baking in a cast iron pan greased with plenty of bacon fat.

    I find it interesting that Southerners get the vapors over sugar IN their cornbread, yet eat it with sugar on TOP.
    Seems a little contradictory, no?

    Mmm. Now I want cornbread for dinner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      Kale and collards are not the same, but similar. I like both. Collards is a stronger flavor. I like all greens. Sometimes, people mix them in the same pot. That's good, too.
      The husband is the one who insisted on touching me and hurting me, then touching my nose! He makes it difficult to be generous. She could barely sit up and he insisted we let her come to door to say hello. We told him no and drove off while he was getting her out of the house. Hopefully, he told her we left. grrr
      I have shopped in this store since 1975, they are good like that.
      I am quite sure you are a damn Yankee...lol. The cast iron pan with bacon fat sounds like you have had some good Southern influence, for sure.
      Never heard of all that in Jiffy cornbread, but it needs something.
      When we cook cornbread for a meal, it is not supposed to have sugar. When little kids eat hot cornbread with butter and sugar, it is a treat not eaten with vegetables.

      Delete
  4. Never known of any place that would do that for shopping.

    I have friends that live in VA. in the Shenandoah Valley and the fires around their farm are not controlled. They are wildfires being spread like crazy with 60 mph winds and no rain. It is very dangerous for a lot of people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl,
      Even Office Max in my town does that for me.

      Wildfires are so scary. I look around and ask Tommy if a fire could spread here.

      Delete
  5. Cornbread with sugar is an unholy union. Jiffy cornbread is actually cake masquerading as bread.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If I am eating cornbread with a meal I do not want sugar in it. BUT If I am making corn casserole I do use one of those Jiffy mixes. John liked Jiffy corn muffins. I called them corn cakes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janet,
      "Cakes" fits them. I just don't like them at ail, but I have never had corn casserole.

      Delete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.