Contact Me

Sunday, March 10, 2024

Mattress Update

 The new bed is like a board with a blanket over it and I love it! I raise the head just a smidgen and the feet a bit more. My feel lose most of the swelling. The right foot looks skinny and almost normal. The left foot is still swollen a bit. Now, If I could sleep longer than 3 or 4 hours. 

It is so wonderful not to be wallowing in a mattress. I sleep on my side, so lying on my side in a bent mattress is not possible without pain to my back and knees, hence sleeping only with a bit of bend in the mattress is great. 

I could write a whole post about the two delivery guys, two Hispanic guys from Atlanta. I told Tommy I would stay in the bedroom and he could sit in other end of the hall to see how things went. Neither guy hit anything bringing things out or in. They were personable and polite. 'Personable' is not a requirement, but it helped. 

They carried the metal bed frame to the road. I will put a free sign on it. They carried Tommy's parent's bed that is broken and the slats to back bedroom. I have lived with that for five years, just propped against the wall. They carried the bedside table behind the bed to kitchen just to get it out so they could work. Plus, queen bed did not leave enough room for it. The bedside table I use was place just inside the other bedroom in order to make room for assembly. 

Delivery men have been annoying over the years. One almost took off the door frame. Another ran into an antique table. When I told him to be careful, he said he had to get in some way. Now, I do move things, valuable or not, out of the way. Another took a bag of tools and threw on yet another antique table, one with pie crust edge and inlay. I gasped and asked him to remove it and be careful. He snorted and said he had to put them somewhere. NO! 

The washing machine and the freezer were delivered from Huntsville, AL when there is a Lowe's about then miles from here. 

Tommy said the truck they were driving had the name of another business scratched off. So, these guys may be two enterprising guys with their own delivery service. Good for them. 

Tommy gave them each $15 apiece. That was all he had in his wallet. 

The salesman said mattresses are measure from the very center of the mattress, not on the side. I doubt this. 

My back still hurts when I get out of bed and walk. But, the pain lasts fewer minutes. This mattress won't cure my back, but it will help mitigate the pain and damage to my spine. 

Sleep would help. I did not sleep the night before the bed and mattress was delivered. Then, I slept 3 hours and another 2 hours. I did not sleep Saturday night, and finally went to bed and slept at 2:30 Sunday, sleeping another 6:30.

DST should help things. I love it. Tommy hung our shamrock on the door. I bought it one year dirt cheap on clearance. 

Next project--irrigation for potted plants on porch and ramp. Maybe I can sneak things into the ground this year. He seems more amenable to doing things. Of course, another car for both of us is still a top priority.  

Have you ever bought a mattress sight and feel unseen or felt?

What type mattress do you like? Soft? Hard like mine? Pillowtop? 

6 comments:

  1. I am glad you like your new mattress and that you got good service. Sleep tight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl,
      So far it has not helped my sleep. However, I do not struggle in the mushy mattress. It also seems to have helped the swelling in feet. I love it.

      Delete
  2. I love your description of your mattress! Our mattress is also 'like a board with a blanket over it' and I love it (I can't sleep on a squishy mattress)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. COL,
      I cannot imagine how anyone can. Still love my hard mattress. I did not realize it was extra-firm until today. I bought this over the phone, so never tried it until I got it.

      Delete
  3. My new bed is one of those bed in a box deals. I like it just fine. The mattress that I replaced was 30 years old. It was still comfortable to me but had deep dips where our bodies had rested for all those years.

    Linda I am writing this on Monday March 11.... and wanted to wish you a Very Happy 1/2 Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janet,
      The mattress had gone to mush, very shocking to me. Even dips would be avoidable.

      Thanks. KFC always sent me a card worth a dinner. Then, they sent a card giving me 50% off. Then they quit sending me anything. Bummer. Now that I have your greeting, I may have to go and get my own 1/2 birthday dinner.

      Delete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.