Contact Me

Monday, March 18, 2024

Three Friends--Conversations

 There are three friends with whom I speak that who older than I am. I am slowly watching, hearing them fade away. It is good to talk with them. However, it is painful to find people not what they were. I know the adult children of all three. 

The relative had a stroke, so is not as 'with it' as she should be. She is confined to a wheelchair. There are days I call her and she does not feel well enough to talk. Medication is often the problem. I learn when I can call. I understand but would hate to lose the connection to a relative. She is 88. I hope never to have a stroke since the two have taken so much from her. We share family stories and have found out so much about our past lives. We can laugh about our life circumstances. Her husband has slowed down, she says, but she has him and children who are very much hands on and supportive.

The other friend I have known since 1980. She is 85 or a few years older, can barely walk with a walker. She was so active when I met her when she was 40. She could physically work circles around me. Life has taken a toll on her. Since her husband died, she has had many debilitating falls. She sounds weaker all the time. I notice her memory is not what it should be. We still laugh when we reconnect. She was always a friend with whom I laughed. 

The other friend I have known for about ten years. She is 92, fully mobile, needing no help to get around, and until the last few months has been very sharp. Now, she forgets things. She has never fallen. She and her husband were sort of forced to move from one rental to another. I think the lack of trees and flowers at her new home has had an effect on her mental acuity. She is sad about these loses. I know it did take her about three months to recover from the move even with help. Her husband has gotten lost getting to their new home. I have little contact with him, so I am not sure about his mental acuity. 

These are my telephone connections. I do see the 92-year-old friend. I have not seen the relative in decades. The other friend does not go out a lot. And, driving to see her is difficult. 

I would be devastated if I lost either of these three friends. The loss would be indescribable! There are others I know, but with these I have a special relationship. 

The older woman invites us over all the time. The relative is really too far away to visit. The friend who falls may not feel like company. 

Sunday, I was thinking about the health of these three women. This thinking was not ruminating about the 'what ifs' or about their dire futures. Today, Sunday, was a quiet day. So, there was time to think about people with whom I share time and space. All the thoughts were about pleasant conversation we have shared in the last week. 

Do you ever spend time quietly contemplating the lives of your older friends and relatives with whom you feel close? Do you worry just a little bit about losing them? 

Monday now. The skies were clear, cold wind even though in the 50s.

Since I slept only three hours last night, I am going for a nap. I will sear a roast and Tommy will peel carrots and potatoes. Add an onion and we will have roast. 

17 comments:

  1. I have lost friends and relatives 0 it is always hard. There will be more - sadly death is part of life. It sure doesn't lessen the pain though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl,
      Sadly, I have been surprised by most of the deaths of friends and family members. All three of these I suspects will happen shortly. It does hurt.

      Delete
  2. Yes I often keep in mind when I see someone the notion someday they could die on me and this casual encounter could be the last in a fateful way. This makes me always aware to be in the moment and make each interaction a good one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urspo,
      Over a few months a consistent pattern of confusion and halting voice always worries me for my friends.

      Delete
  3. I now have only my brother, one aunt (close enough in age to brother) and one friend older than me except for Hubby's parents. His mother was just diagonized with congestive heart failure. Doctor told her to do what she wanted but to lower her sodium intake. She will be 87 in June. His Dad has Alzheimer's for the last 4 yrs. You would never know it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do sound in good shape, better than my friends do.

      Delete
  4. My parents are visibly and rapidly declining and there's not a day goes pastt hat i don't think about losing them. I also worry about how much caring i will need to do in the interim, who knows how it will all work out and I can't plan for the unknown.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is always nice if we can keep in touch with our friends and relations.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm 37 & very close to 3 people older than me. My (late) Mom's best friend, although she's not old at 56. But also a friend who is 76 & my grandpa who is 83. I text the two women almost daily & call my grandpa every few weeks. I also try to visit him a couple times/year (he lives 4h away). I'm very close with my grandpa & dread the day when his time comes. Not to mention, I'm the executor of his estate with some very money hungry step-kids/step-grandkids. Thankfully, he has a pretty solid will in place, & I'll do whatever needs to be done to protect my step-grandma & grandpa's assets, especially if he goes before her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tiffany,
      I am quite sure these women really appreciate your contacting them. Your grandpa is lucky to have you for everything thing in his life. I am glad you are prepared and up for the problems that could be in store at his demise. Lots of people don't have that.

      Delete
    2. My Mom (his only child) was the executor, but when she died, my grandparents asked that I take over (I was 24 at the time!). My grandmother's children are twice my age, but horrible with money. They almost put their mother into bankruptcy when their father died & all of them have filed bankruptcy more than once.

      Delete
    3. Tiffany,
      I remember when your mother died, and it was such a trauma for you. I am glad you will be in charge and strong. It would be horrible for the grandparent who is left for those kids to get their hands on anything.

      Delete
  7. I'm surprised you remember! It's been over 13 years since she died. Have you been blogging that long?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tiffany,
      I have been blogging since 2007. I remember you were then diagnosed with the same thing as your mother and had a procedure to fix it. I felt so sorry for your sorrow.

      Delete
    2. Wow.. it has been a long time. Great memory!

      Yes, she died in 2011 at age 43 from complications related to open heart surgery. I ended up having the same valve issue & had a double valve replacement in 2017 at age 30, the same year I got married. I made it through with flying colors & am still doing well! 💛

      As far as my Mom.. I still miss her terribly (yesterday would have been her birthday) but have found peace with her passing.

      Delete
    3. Tiffany,
      Your predicament touched me. Your mother was so young. It brings tears to my eyes right now. She was so young. I am still suffering from my mother dying in 1992 at the age of 71. It hurts so much still.

      Delete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.