Contact Me

Sunday, March 17, 2024

Saturday and St Patrick's Day

 Saturday was not a bad day, but not necessarily an outstanding day. Except, I am here. I have slept 1.5 hours since 6:30 pm yesterday. UGH!

A piddling bit of decluttering occurred, mostly what I had cluttered on Friday and Saturday. Otherwise, it would get to be so messy. It was not enough to even mention. But, of course, every little bit of decluttering helps in the long run. 

I decided to just go ahead to the grocery to get things Tommy found in the Publix Ad. He had circled things--zucchini, cheese curls. He took back the receipt where we had been charged for Aquafina water when what he got was Dasani 2/$9. Two Aquafina 24 packs were about $15. So, because of the mix-up, he was charged for only one of the Dasani. That was a $4.50 savings. Plus, he recouped the almost $8 where he was overcharged.

Then, we went to Food Giant where he brought the ads out to me, and we examined them to shop right then instead of going back another day. There was nothing we wanted or needed on sale.

Because I am so tired, I wanted a chocolate milkshake or cone. We got a milkshake at DQ. Mine had something nasty and brown and hard. No, it was not chocolate. I become extra foolish when I am exhausted and cannot resist fattening stuff. I always forget that DQ has horrible chocolate milkshakes because I only get one about every two years. They discontinued the chocolate soft serve cones, my favorite ice cream from DQ. I did not want anything else.

In the meantime, I remembered I had not gotten carrots, so he went back into Publix for carrots and brought out chocolate ice cream, too. I forgot we need onion. Remember, my brain is rattled. 

We will have another white dinner, I suppose. However, I want slaw with my chicken. Potatoes will be for Tommy. I want chicken with BBQ sauce and slaw. 

For some reason, I still have the weight loss from the intestinal upset. And, I am losing more weight. That is a bad sign. I am certainly eating enough to gain the weight back. I will need to address that Monday with a doctor or appointment. 

Friday, we cooked six bscb, ate one between us, so have five left. I froze three of those in separate freezer bags. We will appreciate these on days we don't want to cook or have a late day out. 

I napped for four hours, getting up at 10 pm. I ate no dinner, just pbj sandwich and milk. I think.

Happy St. Patrick's Day

We have absolutely nothing planned to celebrate the day. The shamrock on the front door will come down after dark. I bought the shamrock about three or four years a day at a clearance sale, so not much spent. I don't own anything green to wear; Tommy has a shirt that says "Elder" on the sleeve. It is something he wore to some sort of church conferences. I do have a button with a shamrock on it. 

Karolina and her brothers. Hallelujah - Karolina Protsenko & Her Brothers (youtube.com)

I love this channel.

Now, I need to get busy decluttering my table. I might do a bit more. This is the only way I can keep more clutter happening. It never seems like much, but it works for me. 

I  think a nap is in order since I never sleep more than 3 or 4 hours when I go to bed.

What are you eating or wearing to mark the green day?

Are you Irish? I am Scots-Irish on my mother's side. 



19 comments:

  1. Personally, for myself, I would be overjoyed to continue to lose weight. What causes your concern? Not sure I understand what you were saying .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Connie,
      Losing weight without trying is one thing that could be an indicator of cancer.

      Delete
  2. I have some Irish in me - but not celebrating. No green on. I did make myself a Rueban sandwich with things I had here. So I had corned beef and cabbage of sorts! it was yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sue,
    No, I am not celebrating at all. The shamrock was just something pretty and cheap to get into the day. I had chicken with bbq sauce on it and two helpings of cole slaw. I like Reuben sandwiches but with only about three strings of kraut.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We didn't celebrate St. Patty's Day (my husband works Saturday & Sunday; I'm off). I spent my weekend running errands, tidying up the house & resting. I desperately need to de-clutter a few areas but once I finish cleaning house, I have no energy left. I've tried the whole "5 minutes a day" trick, but I never stay motivated to continue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand the 'no energy left." Of course, I never clean house, so why no energy?...lol.

      Delete
  5. I haven't dressed in green for St. Paddy's since I was in middle school, LOL. Not Irish; but DH has a small %.

    The only way I celebrate is with corned beef!! I made it in the oven for the first time ever. I only used a vintage crock pot (doesn't get as hot as modern ones). But this time I threw the 4-lb flat cut into the Dutch oven with beef stock (no beer!) & assorted spices and cooked it for 5 hours at 275. Perfection.

    Had the cb in a big salad with romaine, Jarlsberg, Russian dressing, steamed green beans, and purple cabbage/carrot slaw. It may sound weird, but it was truly superb!

    I asked DH if he wanted our usual green cabbage, potatoes, and onions braised in a casserole (using cb stock). He said, "Sure, if you can make it not taste bland." Whoa. Big words there, buddy! Seriously, the man will never get the traditional sides with his cb ever again, unless he makes them himself. Pftht!

    Today I am looking forward to a Reuben (I made caraway rye bread yesterday) and DS has asked for cb hash. Hopefully there is enough cb to do both. Those slabs sure do cook down to nothing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sue,
    Since I own nothing green, I have never dressed in green!

    The salad sounds great. I have never thought that corned beef tasted bland! Has he thought this before. Or, maybe he is losing his sense of taste. I don't blame you for letting him fend it for himself.

    Caraway bread would be great for a Rueben sandwich. I can only eat three or four strings of kraut in a sandwich.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't the corned beef he called bland, it was the cabbage/potatoes/carrots he called bland. But that's okay, he'll never be forced to endure them again.

      Delete
    2. Sue,
      I see. I have never thought of potatoes, carrots, and cabbage as bland. Well, maybe the potatoes. Cabbage and carrots taste sweet to me. Will you just not cook it or not serve it to him.

      Delete
    3. Linda, I'm not going to make it ever again. Period. I never really enjoyed it, but I he's asked all these years to have it. If he wants it in the future, he is free to make it himself.

      I'm actually fine to cross this one off my list. He just could have been a wee bit more courteous in telling me he didn't need it anymore. Don't mess with the cook, bucko--or everything I make will start to taste faintly of spit!! LOL!!

      Delete
  7. The Americanized half of my ethnicity is of Scottish and Irish descent. I am actually about 25% Irish, actually. Corned beef, cabbage and potatoes slow cooked in Guinness, with a chocolate Guinness cake for dessert. When the kids were younger we spent St. Patrick's Day making Leprechaun traps to set out before they went to bed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. meg,
      I had a good laugh. And, what, pray tell, does a leprechaun trap look like. Did you ever catch any?

      Delete
    2. They differed year to year. They would use things like blocks, or cardboard boxes, manilla folders.and cardstock decorated with green sequins and shamrock stickers. They would bait them with chocolate coins, and leave a Gunness on the kitchen counter with directions to their rooms. They never caught any, but the leprechaun always rewarded their efforts with something like a pristine bag of chocolate coins, a box of Junior Mints, and the like.

      Delete
    3. So funny. My children would have loved to make leprechaun traps.

      Delete
  8. Looks like my comment didn't go through. I wrote we were having a pizza.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Certainly sounds a good idea to mention your weight loss to your doctor.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.