Contact Me

Friday, March 15, 2024

BOGO deals, Cicadas, Pollen

 Thursday morning, I was still awake at 10:45, and I was sitting waiting for Tommy to wake up so we could go shopping early. I wanted to go back to sleep! I told him to eat breakfast so we could go. He said, "Oh, let's just go get a burger since it is lunch time." Well, I could not resist. I wanted to go to Arby's for a cheddar cheese with horseradish sauce. We did. 

We shopped the rest of the grocery shopping for Publix today. Tommy was fussing and fretting about getting more butter. Kerry Gold was on sale, so I wanted to try it bogo. He kept telling me I had a dozen boxes in the freezer. Well, now I have two more boxes. Kerry was $4.99 for 1/2 lb, two sticks. BOGO, I got it for $2.49 for two sticks, a half pound. Every single item I bought was bogo! I didn't buy the olive oil because it was in a plastic bottle. 

I told him to call me when he found the olive oil on bogo. The first thing he said when he called me was, "It's in a plastic bottle." He remembers mostly what I tell him about food shopping. 

All this cost $41.54 before food tax ($3.74) Savings was $31.44. I just put the bogo price below.

Kerry butter $2.50 x 2

Kelloggs Special K $2.84 x2

Kraft Medium Cheddar Chunk $2.39 x4

Spice Island spices $2.30 x 4 (2 onion powder and 2 garlic powder)

I forgot that we bought two non-bogo items

Nature's Own Honey Wheat bread $4.11 x1

red potatoes 5 lbs, $5.99 x 1

The bread and potatoes were cheaper at The Pig, but he did not want to go there. He was doing all the shopping because I do not feel up to going in and driving the electric cart. Getting out of the car causes him much pain. Getting his walker out is hard. Getting back into the car is also difficult and painful. The last walker weighed 15 lbs. The new one weighs 25 lbs. If he just refuses to go to another store even for savings, I rarely insist. When I feel halfway well, I always go in and shop. 

My gastro problems continue, albeit not so severe and not so sudden onset. My nutrition is suffering. I tend not to want any fiber. 

When I got into the car today, I noticed the pollen on the windshield. Then, I noticed pollen on lens of my glasses. I only walked about 40 feet or less to the car. Imagine the pollen we collect on our clothing and hair after being out longer than I was out. 

Today, I lay down for a nap. Soon, my ankles started itching. I gave in and scratched them with other foot. Finally, I was sooo hot. I got up and out of bed. The room was even warmer at head height. I stumbled into the hall, and it was still hot, just not so suffocating. The heat on thermostat was 75! And, it was set on HEAT, so no ac was ever coming on. I turned on ac and sat in living room. After an hour, the living room was bearable. So, I went back to bed at about 4 pm, got up at 11:30pm. I take sleep when I can get it. 

For dinner Tommy had the other half of a can of chili he opened on Wednesday, and an apple. At midnight, I made for my dinner an egg salad sandwich from two of the eggs I boiled earlier this week. I may eat something else, maybe not. 

Tommy did three loads of clothes while I slept. He hung the bathroom rugs outdoors, so they are back. He even hung up two of my nightgowns and the panties that were in one load. There were three wash loads and two for dryer, and one hung up. 

Friday will be lots of rain and bad weather, so we will be in all day with no plans for going out. We don't need anything or have any appointments. This week has been warm, dry, and beautiful. The next three days will not. Then, the clear and warm days return next week. The next weekend will be rainy, also. It seems that weekends are always rainy lately.

I am wondering if the cicadas will destroy any flowers I have or buy. Maybe I won't buy flowers until after they are gone. I just don't want to crunch them underfoot!

Are you in the area/states where cicadas will return? 

Was your weather unseasonably warm today? 

13 comments:

  1. Cicadas (both types) are to be in our state. They don't eat plants according to all reports I have read.
    If pollen is that bad and you have allergies, may not want to hang those rugs and things outdoors to dry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl,
      They are both supposed to be here, I think.
      This incident happened hours after the rugs were inside. I may gather them up and shake them today. Rugs are the only things we ever hang out to dry.

      Delete
    2. Cheryl,
      I did not think they would eat my flowers, but am still worrying they might develop a taste for them...lol.

      Delete
  2. That's a great price for Kerrygold! I really love that butter. We use regular butter for cooking/baking and Kerrygold where the butter is the focus -- like on hot biscuits, homemade bread, cornbread, toast, or Cacio e Pepe.

    It's got a wonderful tang to it and just a tiny bit extra salt. I predict you will decide you can't live without it! LOL!

    Time magazine quoted a University of Connecicut study that discusses the 2024 cicada phenomenon. Apparently it's the Midwest and Southeast that will be inundated, and I don't have to worry about them here in CT. Thanks, UConn! (both my kids are graduates :^) :^)

    https://time.com/6564594/cicadas-us-trillions-2024/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      I suppose now I will have to make biscuits or toast. I use about two teaspoons of butter on all the vegetables on my plate. I take the butter and rub it over everything. Nothing is salted and nothing has oil. So, it is my little bit of flavor. I cannot wait to taste it.
      The map of the southeast is grim. I suppose chickens will be happy.

      Delete
  3. I would not want to be walking around on those things, crunching them up. Yeesh!

    This cicada thing reminds me of the grasshopper plague Laura Ingalls Wilder wrote about in "On The Banks of Plum Creek." Although they were actually (now extinct) Rocky Mountain locusts. And cicadas are not supposed to be nearly as devastating to crops.

    It's funny you mention the chickens, because Laura wrote about them feasting as well!

    Poor Illinois--practically the entire state will be smothered with both broods! And Missouri will also be under almost entirely besieged, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read all the Little House books and remember that. It will only last a month, thankfully.

      Delete
  4. I finally logged in to my primary Gmail account & forgot I had started a travel blog 😂 So now my name will say Tiffany, not Jane Doe.

    Anyhoo.. apparently, my state is a hot spot for cicadas this year. I'm excited. I love falling asleep with my windows open listening to them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tiffany,
      Thanks for telling me. At first, I could not place Jane Doe.
      I won't be having windows open due to allergies. I don't know if I like hearing them or not. Maybe they are like a sound machine. I wonder how your dogs will react.

      Delete
  5. We had a big cicada return a few years ago. Driving through the woods was deafening. They are so loud! We started to notice a Great Horned owl every night. It would show up in our yard and hop all over. The other birds were shouting out alarms! It was eating the cicadas! All sorts of animals eat them for the protein, not just birds. They did no damage. The grandkids enjoy the shell casing when they molt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Irene,
      I have seen two cicada returns, but never had much in the way of deafening sounds. Maybe I forgot how bad it was. I can imagine how excited the owl and other birds were to have an abundance of food falling from the skies.

      No damage and staying off me are my two concerns...lol. I can see how kids would enjoy the shell casings. Thanks for all this information.

      Delete
  6. We have cicadas here but I've never heard of them being a garden pest. maybe they just eat leaves from big trees, I'm not sure. They can be very loud.
    It's been very hot and humid here, temperatures have dropped a little in the last week but it's still tropical humidity. I'm quite over it but they are forcasting la nina to arrive sometime so I guess there's more rain and humidity coming

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. kylie,
      I cannot remember damage to foliage, so I suppose I am borrowing trouble. I stay so exhausted, I can barely think.
      For the last five Fridays, we have had rain and storms. So, five wet weekends. This a subtropical climate, so what can I expect?

      Delete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.