Contact Me

Wednesday, March 20, 2024

Peaceful, Easy Feeling at the End of the Day

 It is almost 5 pm, and still have not slept all night. I was sitting here about ten this morning and the phone rang, waking Tommy, It was a call from the gynecologic oncologist.  The nurse reminded me I had an appointment, one I had forgotten. It was a month off, so no problem. She said the appointment was with a different because Dr. NAME had died. That was such a shock. 

He was the kindest man with best bedside manner I have ever known. When I was having trouble getting off the exam table after being in the stirrups and hurting my back, he said, do you need help? He was already holding my arm. I said yes and he took his arm and put it around me, like in a bear hug and held me while I managed to get my feet on the floor. He held on while I got my bearings. I thought that was such a kind gesture. Well, he is dead! 

I asked how he died. Covid. So, I looked up his obituary. The obituary and other sites said cancer. He had been ill with lymphoma for several years. My appointment was about six weeks before he died. I suppose he had cancer and covid weakened him.

I cried. I tried to stop and did. But, tears kept coming. 

While I was waiting in the car for Tommy later in the afternoon, I decided to call the friend who is 92. She is very ill with congestion like I have not heard for a long time. We only talked for ten minutes. 

So, I decided to call the friend who has had falls. Well, she is bruised all over from a fall last week, still feeling ill and could not talk. The nine minutes on the phone was hurting her. 

I did not dare call the relative for fear she would be too ill to talk. But, I had her daughter's number, so we talked for 30 minutes, making each other laugh the whole time. I never call these three friends on the same day, usually not in the same week. Today has been another emotional day. However, it has been a good day in all other ways. 

Gaining weight may be in my future. I mentioned buying the DQ milkshake that had something like wood in it. . Well, I took the receipt, shake container with the offending piece back to DQ. Manager wanted to know if I wanted money back, another milkshake or what. So, I told him to give me a Blizzard of equal cost. And, what did they have in chocolate? Well, he brought me a 16 ounce, at least, blizzard. I tried to get Tommy to eat some. This thing may last me for another two days at least. It is chocolate with chocolate brownie, and chocolate chunks. It is so rich. I have never in my life had a Blizzard that was larger than the smallest they sell. It is in the freezer and may go into the trash!

It is a beautiful day, sunny, deep blue skies, cloud free, warm, with a chilly wind. I could not have handled a gloomy day. I am rigging Easter eggs to hang in the tree out front. That is a fun, pleasant activity. 

I have been lucky in my life to have ob/gyns that were gems, men who truly helped women. This was a blow losing my present oncologist. He was so young and kind. But, the nurse assured me the new one is just like the one who died. 

The day is over with a peaceful, easy feeling. I don't need excitement to laugh and enjoy life. I tried to take a nap, but my feet hurt so I got up and hung clothes in the hall. Well, I put things on hangers and Tommy hung them. I cannot reach up with something heavy, plus, I get dizzy reaching up and looking up. 

Midnight now. Up from my nap and ready for dinner. 

Got a message I cannot read, but it appears we are now safe from mosquitoes. And, fleas are what we complained bitterly about biting. Of course, another one bit me. He fled because I missed picking him off me. It is freezing, but we are safe from mosquitoes! 

I was so out of sorts today, a grammar question evaded me and I had to look it up to determine whether to use 'hanged' or 'hung' while writing the post! I had hoped never to become so tired that I forgot grammar. 

it is after midnight, so we are on to Wednesday. 

Was your Tuesday successful? Fun? Busy? 

6 comments:

  1. all my kids use a bowl of water with a drop of dawn dish soap and a lamp/night light/ flashlight on the floor at the dish and keep everything else dark for fleas. Vet said to wash with dawn and it would help also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chef,
      I wonder how many bowls of water I need for a room. Wash what with Dawn? Thanks.

      Delete
  2. That is sad about your doctor and friends. I haven't had a gynecologist in a long time. Mine (that delivered my kids) ended up retiring and then my primary doctor told me she could do the annual exams. And now they changed the exams to only needing to be done every 5 years, so I just have my primary care dr. do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One,
      I went back to dr that delivered first and second child, regular doctor delivered third. Then, I went to a doctor who had only had a practice two years, a really new doctor. He retired and his son who had been practicing for two years took over and I was with him until I had cancer. This doctor was dear to me. I do wonder if every five years is enough. I went to ob/gyn and told him I had cancer. He insisted on tests...lol and sent me to oncologist.

      Delete
  3. That is sad about your doctor and your friend.

    Take care, sending my good wishes.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan,
      Thanks. I still get sad when I think about it.

      Delete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.