Contact Me

Thursday, March 1, 2018

Wednesday Sharing--Bulbs and Wisdom

Since I had more cans of food than I can use, I offered them to a friend. I had given some to her last Friday, I think. I had promised her dates, but could not find them. Today, Wednesday, she was coming to pick up a bag of food.

We talked about my bulbs I had not planted because I was just too sick for so long. I offered her yellow and white onion starts and she was excited to get. I included two cloves of Elephant garlic and two tulip bulbs. She was thrilled when she got these.

On the phone she had offered to give me daffodils growing in the ditch. I told her not to get in the wet and mud, just to wait another day when it was drier.

She took the food and bulbs and gave me two huge bags of daffodils. It rained too much today to get out and plant. Well, I have planted in the rain, but I did not want to today. Now, I find out it is supposed to rain hard tomorrow. I suppose when it quits or slacks up in the afternoon, I will get out and plant them. Some are white. (paper whites?) most are yellow in the center and cream around the edges.

We both think we might get onions or garlic even planting these this time of the year, but if we don't--oh well. I paid less than $2 for 240 onion sets, and the Elephant garlic bulb was given to me.

Before she left, she said, "I would thank you for these, but my grandmother said,  'If you thank people for plants, they will die.' " I laughed in appreciation.

"Let a child plant something and it will grow. Let an adult plant the same thing and it will die"

She told me other gardening wisdom her grandmother told her, but I forgot them.

Do you have any garden wisdom to share? Who told you? She seems to really cherish these sayings.

I was sorry I did not have wisdom to share with her. I did give her some advice--plant the tulip bulbs amongst the daffodils so animals won't eat them.  My tulips planted with daffodils did not get eaten by ground squirrels. Plus, pink tulips amongst yellow daffodils is visually stunning.

6 comments:

  1. Around this time of year, I always wish I had taken the time to plant tulips in the fall. They are my favorite flower and they make me happy! My mother always gave me tulips on my birthday (February) and perhaps that's why I love them so. I hope your bulbs get planted soon and you get to enjoy the beautiful blooms!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heather,
      The last few years I have had tulips and never before. I love them, too. That is a good memory for you, so you love them perhaps because of your mother. Tomorrow is the target date for planting! Thanks for sharing.

      Delete
  2. Here in the PNW, you are supposed to dig up your tulips each summer, and replant them in fall. I never bother, and as a result, mine didn't do well. I have loads of daffodils, though. Mine are King Alfred, but when I lived in the southwest, I had the pale ones with darker centers. I was also able to get Siberian Irises to grow very well there. I can't do that here. I have had a hard time getting things to grow here, and I've been here for almost 20 years!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love getting planting tips from people who know personally. Like my mother in law. She knows so much about gardening. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nawm,
      Love your name. I ask older people about planting. Well, I ask people who are having success. Thank you. Have a good weekend, yourself.

      Delete
  4. I will be the spoilsport; lots of gardening advice turns out not to be true. This is based somewhat on 'microclimates' meaning what works in one area may not work in another. Think of things as guidelines, try it, and toss it if it doesn't work.

    ReplyDelete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.