Contact Me

Saturday, March 3, 2018

I Will Not Call You Again

Image result for key safe lock
similar to mine





                                                               I won't have to.

Friday afternoon, I had things to do. One thing to do was go to the locksmith and get something to put keys into like realtor's have. I had awakened at about 10:15, waited for the house to get a bit less damp and chilly feeling, then got up and started my day. While I lay there, I got my laptop out to read blogs.

I was ready to go and then a program on the tv tempted me to stay a bit. Then, I rushed right out the door...without my keys or my cell phone. Since I only brought my change purse and not my whole purse, I could not use the keys inside the purse.

Without a cell phone, I could not call anyone, not even a locksmith. I could see that two neighbors who will help were not home. Finally, I managed to get a lawn chair around by the car and sat there waiting for my neighbor to come home.

Then, I remembered I had my smart phone. The only numbers I needed were ones I could not remember, except for exbf''s. I called him three times in an hour and a half. I have never memorized the number to his cell phone.

Finally, exbf was home. I told him I was sitting out front so I could see neighbor come home. I strongly hinted at his coming and letting me in. He sighed and said he would. Before we got off the phone, I made a plan to call his cell if neighbor came in.

In the meantime, after sitting there (45 F nd windy with gusts) for an hour and a half, I was about to pee in my pants. I had begun thinking of where I could squat with the most coverage from bushes.My neighbor drove up.  It took the neighbor guy about two minutes after I asked. So, I was inside the house, dying to go to bathroom, and with a very red face from the wind.

I called exbf who was stalled in traffic because an accident somewhere near Malfunction Junction. He had barely left home and had just been sitting in traffic for fifteen minutes. He was glad to hear from me, but it took him forever to get to an exit where he could get back home.

Once in the house ,since it was almost 5 pm, I lost no time in leaving and got to the locksmith at 4:55. As I was having keys made, I remarked I needed one of those things that realtors used. Now, it is affixed to my door knob! He sold me a used one.

Problem solved! I won't ever need to call the locksmith to let me in my car or house. I will miss them...lol. Does anyone have one of these contraptions?

15 comments:

  1. So...did your neighbor have a key to your house, or how did you get in? And I am curious, how does the realtor thingie work on your doorknob? Do you have a secret code?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. kt
      He does not have a key. I showed him how to access the house. It works fine. But, it is hard to hold onto the door knob as it is there, too. Yes, the locksmith put in the code I chose.

      Delete
  2. P.S. You probably might want to program some favorite phone numbers into your smart phone, in case of emergency...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. kt,
      I am going to ATT and put all my numbers on the smart phone.

      Delete
  3. I didn't know you could buy one of those lock boxes! I might just have to get one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. tana50,
      Google "key lock box" or "key safe." There are more expensive models with push buttons that can be attached to the wall. The one I got was $25. He said it was $38 new. The one he had for $89 appears to cost the same online. So, there may be no advantage to ordering from online. Try calling locksmiths. Mine was on the way to where I was going, so stopping was no big deal. Besides, I needed a set of keys.

      Delete
    2. tana50,
      I wrote this once but could not get it to show up. ??? google 'key lock safe' to see what is available. You can get different styles. Maybe a locksmith has one for sale new or used. Good luck.

      Delete
  4. I checked on line and found that Home Depot sells them, might have to check it out. As I have an outside keypad to open the garage door I'd probably put it on the inside house door - double protection when forgetting my keys when hubby takes the car.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bellen,
      That sounds like it might be helpful to you. Lowe's probably has them, too.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. urspo,
      I thought of this about three years ago. It is about time I did it.

      Delete
  6. I'm glad you finally got a safe place to put keys to get back in your house now! Good idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One,
      It is about time. We put a key over the basement door when I was married. The basement opens to the outside but there is no entrance to the first floor. After my divorce, I took that key down. So, for 36 years I have needed this. I thought of this about 3 years ago and decided it was time, even though I still cannot afford it.

      Delete
  7. I love this. Makes me want to get one of these. We have garage key pad, but if power is off we might get a false sense of security and fail to think of backup way to get in!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nawm, I never thought of a power failure for a keypad user. Yes, this might be a good idea.

    ReplyDelete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.