Contact Me

Saturday, March 17, 2018

Recycling Frustration

The city gives us a container for recyclables. It's about the size of a clothes basket. Since I recycle, it is well-used and always has something in it.

That is, unless something has been dragging things out. Tuna/salmon, corn cans are prime targets. I put the plastic cups I use into a plastic bag and tie the bag. Usually, there is a food can in with the cups. Sometimes, the food can is in the recycle bin, loose, without a bag. The whole bag gets dragged out and strewn all over the yard!

When I found the dead possum, there was a plastic bag with plastic cups inside and food cans. Whatever animal is was had dragged the bag all the way around the house to the opposite side. The bag had been ripped open and cups shredded. There is milk residue in most of the cups and sometimes orange juice. I don't want to go near the smelly place, but I will because I have to.

There are animals all over the neighborhood--at least one possum, raccoons, dogs, and cats and coyotes if I am to believe neighbors. I have to go all over the yard and collect debris that animals have strewn.

The neighbors behind me put out bags of trash that are not in a can. I have never seen the bags torn. I feel like I am a target yard over here. Neighbors that put out recycling swear nothing ever happens to their recycling even when it has attractive contents.

We have leash laws that no one bothers to follow. We cannot shot raccoons because it is illegal to shoot a gun in the city limits. Poison would kill dogs and cats. Live traps could not trap dogs or neighbor cats, all of which would have to be released.

I even found a can under the house, visible from the outside since I did not go under there. No, I left the can under there. This opening under the house had a window with a screen until a cat burst right through it trying to escape another cat. I replaced it once and it happened again. No, these are not my cats.

I cannot confront anyone if I have not seen their cat or dog. So, there is no use even thinking of that. Wild animals would not listen, understand, or care.

As of this afternoon, there are five bags of things or individual cans I must pick up with my back that does not like bending over.

Other than stop recycling, there are no choices. What would you do? And, I am not washing disposable cups that I use because of the problem with washing dishes! Do you have this problem in your neighborhood?

16 comments:

  1. recently the city of PHX gave us a smaller non-recyclable rubbish bin to promote more recycling. Our recycling bin is always full up as we have wishful recycling viz. it goes there on the hopes it can be recycled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. urspo,
      If it put something in the bin that cannot be recycled, it is thrown in my yard. So, no glass anything. No water bottles with an inch of water. Somehow, a cigarette paper was in there, thanks to my druggie friend, I suppose. I try not to annoy the guy so I don't have to pick up trash in the grass. Good luck on your recycling.

      Delete
  2. can you cover the bin with a board or something until pick up day? We used to have bins (3) that were a pain in the but, but then our waste company changed to one big garbage can with a lid that we could throw all into. That was much better. Here in this little town they do not recycle at all. Makes us feel weird, since we were so used to recycling everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One,
      A board might work. Maybe you can start a campaign to recycle. I see smaller towns around her and places in the country that have a truck with doors for each type recycle item. They just haul it off and replace it with another truck, I think.

      Delete
    2. there is one dump here in the county, so I have a feeling,even if people were to recycle, it would all just end up in the same place at the dump anyway. I think there is someone trying to set up paper recycling, where we would have to take it and drop off, not part of our garbage service.

      Delete
    3. one,
      We recycled glass and the city paid for the service. Come to find out, the company got paid and then crushed the glass instead of transporting it from AL to GA. Not good.

      Delete
  3. Our recycling bin has a lid. Which is just as well. And is collected once a fortnight. Garbage is collected weekly, and green waste fortnightly as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC,
      We definitely need a lid. Both are collected weekly. Green waste? We have a leaf truck and a limb truck that come by on a route. The recycling is the only problem. Nothing bothers the cans with lids, no matter how odiferous. Thanks.

      Delete
    2. Green waste is new to my city. Essentially it is for garden waste. Prunings, lawn clippings, weeds...

      Delete
    3. EC, These two trucks get all that and have for decades. Some people bag their leaves and everything but limbs and send it to the landfill with trash.

      Delete
  4. Our recycling bin has a lid but I do remember a time when we had an open crate type of thing. In those days I lived with my parents and dad looked after garbage so I don't know if there was ever an issue with animals getting in it although it would seem to be almost irresistible to a neighbourhood cat/ dog or rat. I wish there was a solution for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. kylie,
      Some people wash out cans with soap and water, but I am loathe to do that. How is that environmentally responsible? This was not a problem until this winter. Thanks.

      Delete
  5. I rinse all of my recyclables out. Our pickup will not accept them with food waste in them. We have a small rolling can with a lid also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      I have never had a problem. If I had a can with a lid, I could recycle newspapers. They won't take wet papers, so it is impossible to keep them dry some days without a lid. I suppose I could put them in a trash bag. But, my little bin is full when it goes out. My neighbor takes it out only when it is full. I don't complain because he is doing it.

      Delete
  6. We have a large recycling container with a lid and we can mix paper, cans, glass, cardboard, etc. together- very convenient. I usually rinse the food out but not always. I just got back from San Fran where my daughter lives- they have 3 huge containers with lids- 1 for trash, 1 for recycling and 1 for composting. It's a great system.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nan,
      It sounds like you and your daughter have great recycling systems. Thanks.

      Delete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.