Contact Me

Monday, March 19, 2018

Baby Bananas or Bananitos and Free Thursday Dinner

Written last Thursday night. I did get worse and published that on Sunday.

For years, it seems, I have seen baby bananas and thought nothing except that they were cute, a novelty. Finally, one day last week I became consumed with finding out about them. One produce employee assured me they were edible when green as grass because they never turn yellow. Well, I doubted that, and I was correct. 

For my first experiment, I bought one tiny banana about three inches long and paid ten-cents, including tax. Two days later, I bought one that did not look so battered and paid twelve-cents, including tax, for this one. Then, I waited and waited. 

Finally, the first one ripened some. So, I decided to eat it. The description says baby bananas are thing-skinned. I had to use a thumb nail to peel the skin from the flesh. Next time, I will use a dinner knife or the bowl of a spoon. Yes, the skin is very thin. The baby bananas don't really look like a banana inside even though the flesh is pale yellow. 

The taste is banana-y, but not so delicious. The mouth feel is the worst part. I cannot say they are slimy, but they are incredibly smooth, smoother than large bananas. 

I still have the last one I bought. This one will be allowed to become very yellow to see if that will improve the taste and texture.  Oh, these are $3.99/lb. The cost will assure I never buy these again. 

Thursday night, I went to the free dinner: spaghetti, roll, salad of greens and dressing and a piece of chocolate bundt cake. There was little meat but the taste was superb. The "meat" may have been soy. I hope not. I really appreciated not having to cook dinner. 

A group from south Alabama had a skit for us or a group of skits. It was all interesting and not too preachy. I laughed lots and shushed two women talking within six inches of my back as they leaned toward each other. I was not subtle the last time I shushed them loudly. They immediately started talking again. So, I turned to look right in the face of one woman. That woman said, "Well, we are still going to talk."  And, they did!  Amazingly, there were people all over the back of the dining room talking, not even whispering. 

A woman (39) sat down and asked me if she could share her addiction story. She did. It was tragic (involving the accidental death of her only son), but hopefully she will have a good outcome. I gave her the bunny for her youngest daughter. Remember the bunny I was given in WM? 

In telling her story, she said Bradford, a business for treating drug addicts, a residential program, allowed her to go there for free! 

She wants to get her GED. I told her that once she got her GED that Wallace Community College would allow her to take one class tuition-free. She was happy about that. I then told her she could get a grant to pay for her tuition and not have to pay that back. She seemed truly happy about the news. 

She may not use the information immediately, but I planted the seed. She might even pass that information along to others living in the women's facility for drug addicts. 

I did little today, but it was more than I can usually accomplish.  I cannot stay outside long because of the allergens in the air. I have an earache and a fever. (Thursday) It is enough that I am pleased with myself. 

Tuesday No, today is Monday! 3/19/18

This week. I ate the other banana when it was more ripe. Yuck is all I have to say. It is sweet and creamy like the internet says, just not for me. Little kids would love it. I still feel ill and am not wanting to type much. I will spend my energy watching for tornadoes.



Your turn
Have you ever eaten baby bananas? Can you give me a clue about how yellow they need to be? What is your opinion of baby bananas taste or texture? 

8 comments:

  1. Mother calls them Sugar Bananas, hence the sweet taste of them. My mother use to grow them in her yard so we always had them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alice,
      Where did you live when your mother grew them? That may be own of the names listed when I looked these up. I like that name. Interesting. Thanks.

      Delete
  2. I can't stand bananas so the answer is no__I have and will never try one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      Neither does exbf. That means he will never eat my last banana...something I hate that company does. The worst is I wake up to have my morning banana and find the last one is gone.

      Delete
  3. I'm not fond of bananas either! I wish I liked fruit better but thankfully, I do like most vegetables. I'm finishing up the cabbage from St Patrick's day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nan,
      I love fruit. And, I love cabbage. I have a head I'm going to put in the crockpot with potatoes and carrots.

      Delete
  4. Are you Ok? Heard there was large sized hail there last night.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kris,
    Yes, and so is my car. Hail destroyed many cars here. Thankfully, I parked mine to optimize trees to protect it from hail. I thought my kitchen windows were broken. Thanks for asking. We had tornadoes, too.

    ReplyDelete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.