Contact Me

Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Dogs and Pi(e) Day

My sister’s dogs were always very excited about the prospect of a walk.

One day, I was visiting my sister and doing some sewing for her. Suddenly the dogs were all over me. I was screeching in fear and the dogs were yelping and barking and running around me.  My sister had told me that my screeching made the dogs think I was playing and made them excited, so I tried to remain calm even though I was frighetened. But, not this time. My sister came flying down the stairs, cursing and demanding to know what I was "doing" to her dogs. Then she started laughing as she saw the tape measure I was carrying. She said they thought we were going for a walk and I had brought a leash. From then on, if I came down the stairs with a tape measure, I stuffed it under my shirt.


Today, I managed unload stuff from the front seat of the car. Well, someone came and took things I had put things in there.

The font color changes all on its own! ugh 

Thursday,
friend had just come from lunch with a friend, celebrating with an St. Patrick's Day meal of corned beef and cabbage. She asked if I wanted her leftovers. I took them, a to-go box with corned beef, cabbage, three tiny new potatoes, and a corn muffin. I left most of the meat and muffin until later. So, that was late lunch/early dinner for me. 

It may seem yucky to eat a friend's leftovers. Whatever. Would you? The beef, muffin, and potatoes are fine. Only the cabbage off her plate might be seen as disgusting. Would eat it? 

Each day, I do just a bit more in the yard, maybe five minutes worth. It is not much, but it is all I can do. 

I showed her my "garden," a collection of buckets and containers. She has a full-sized tractors with all the equipment to do a real garden and lots of land. She crawls along planting, something I could never do. She is saving the garlic and onions I gave her to plant later. The tulips I gave her, two bulbs, are already in the ground. 

She lives in the country and has neighbors with huge commercial farms and gets lots of produce. Lucky her. 

I had to search to find Thin Mints. Now, I am off to get them. Okay, I got the Thin Mints and ate the whole box. 

In Publix I found a treat. They were giving away samples of pie for Pi day.

It is not too cold and sunny today. I found someone to mow my yard! I count this as a good day, if not productive. Hopefully, he will come soon.

Your turn
Did you observe Pi day? Would you eat your friend's leftovers? Do your dogs or friend's dogs misunderstand things? Give me a good dog story.



9 comments:

  1. I would accept general leftovers from a friend but not food from her plate that she simply hadn't finished. Ummm I think Corn beef & cabbage is for St. Patrick's Day.
    Did it not cause a reaction? Just a bit confused as I thought you had an allergy to meat from mammals.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was not much beef. Yes, I do have an allergy to mammal products and usually avoid beef. However, I was at home so that any evident reaction would be in private. I have a bathroom that I can occupy for as long as I please.

      Delete
  2. We did not observe Pi day but I am not a huge pie fan anyway. I guess I should have gone to Publix instead of Sprouts though. I would have tried a sample of free pie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      I love pie, most of them, anyway. It was lemon meringue and delicious.

      Delete
  3. I didn't observe Pi day and no friend has ever offered me leftovers. But I have eaten leftovers that were served for another meal at the home of friends. Your "five minutes" working in the yard reminds me of the saying "The longest journey begins with a single step." You will get there. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. tana50,
    When I am presented with pie on Pi day, I observe the day...lol. Actually, I will not get there as the few minutes were light things and that hurt. The heavy stuff has to be done, like mowing, and I cannot do it. But, I will have a great weekend. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a an ex-co-worker who used to always bring a pie in on Pi Day, and even did so a few years after he retired. I love pie, but my gluten allergy limits how often I can have it. There are delicious pre-baked gluten free pies I can get at the local grocers, but my husband is not a big pie fan, I am a compulsive eater with no will power, and I am trying to lose weight, so it is too dangerous fro me to have a pie in the house.

    I rarely take my own leftovers, unless it's meat for the dogs, so doubt I would take someone else's. While I'd eat something off of someone else's plate during dinner (if invited) it seems unappealing to eat any of their leftovers the next day.

    My 2 dogs are always a source of laughter for me. The only real misunderstanding is that any time anyone walks into our kitchen, they get excited assuming someone is going to bring them a treat. Also, Rita Mae is TERRIFIED of loud or sudden sounds, so she takes off like a cartoon animal any time she hears a loud bang, clap, or sound of any kind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I want pie and do not want the crust, I can always just eat the filling. But, that is NOT going to happen because I just eat a little crust and never stop until I eat the whole pie, crust and all. So, I just make the filling and bake in the pie pan with no crust for temptation. Yes, I understand how dangerous it is to have pie in the house.

      One reason her food was okay to me was that she had just left the restaurant and the food was in a go box in the car. And, I have eaten food that came from someone's plate while in the restaurant. We just scrape stuff from our plate onto the person's plate.

      If I had anything in my hands when I went outdoors, my four hens were sure it was food. Your dog would hate my TV since it makes random pops that sound like a rock hitting the window. I am ready to run away some days. Thanks for the comment. Come back again.

      Delete
  6. I had forgotten it was Pi-day. I am not one to eat pie, although I have been hankering for a good berry pie like raspberry or blackberry, if one can be found.

    ReplyDelete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.