Contact Me

Monday, March 5, 2018

Nutrients in Eggs and a Gardening Surprise.

Image result for hosta




Eggs!

I love them. When eggs were declared bad for you, my family did not agree. It turns out, eggs are not so bad. As a matter of fact eggs are good for you.

Maybe you will read the article in the link and see that eggs contain lots of good things in a tiny package.  Exbf will not touch anything with eggs unless it is baked goods...??? I do not try to convince him. He is adamant.

My friend John had strong opinions about eggs. He loved scrambled eggs like I do. However, we discussed it many times and both agree that an omelet is not good at all, no matter what anyone says to convince either of us.

Your opinion  of eggs?

As I went to the car last week, I noticed something green in an overturned pot. The cats that come around knock over all pots. This pot had been ravaged by something that ate the Hosta, the roots I suppose. However, there was green coming from the bottom of the root ball left in the pot. Plus, tiny, hair-like roots were sprouting everywhere and getting very long.

(The root ball and dirt was lying almost upside down. So, the roots on top and hosta on bottom were because the root ball had been tipped out of the pot.)

Finally, I turned the pot right-side up. The tiny Hosta, about 3 inches long were growing sideways from lying on its side so long. Today, the little Hosta were about 5 inches high and growing upright. I put more dirt in the pot to fill it up and to cover the tiny roots. I did not bother to water it as the roots were growing in the air anyway. Besides, it is going to rain tonight. Rainwater is better than faucet water.

Now, I will not have to find people to share Hosta or purchase a root. These Hosta were given to me and I cut them apart as they became too large for their space and planted them elsewhere or gave them away.

I am going to have to stake the pots down to keep animals from digging in them or just knocking them over. Eventually, I will divide these Hosta and put them in the ground.

By the way, those are not my Hostas, but have bug bites just like mine get. The bites will not kill the Hosta.

Do you ever cut apart Hosta to give away or plant elsewhere? Or any plant? Any surprises in your yard, flowers, trees, or other plants?

10 comments:

  1. I do not like eggs at all, but I find when doing Whole30 I eat the regularly. The only way I can choke them down is hard scrambled, preferably with spinach and mushrooms or onions and peppers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      After I read this article, I was discussing eggs with exbf. Of course, it was prefaced with, "I am not trying to get you to eat eggs, but." He stated they could not be wet, but had to be dry. Same here. I will eat them with cheese, medium cheddar cheese diced and added just before they get completely done. Someone insisted on shredded cheese which was just nasty. I will also put chopped, hard cooked bacon in my eggs. But, I either want cheese or bacon, never both. Vegetables would cause me not to eat my eggs. It's funny how we can be so set in our ways with likes and dislikes. Oh, and that little white thing has to be removed and the eggs beaten with a beater and strained in a mesh strainer. MUST!

      Thanks for the insight.

      Delete
  2. I've been on an egg kick the past few days. Sunday night for dinner, I didn't want taco salad I made DH, so I made scrambled eggs with a bit of cheese on top. Yesterday, for lunch, I made myself a fried egg sandwich. I like hard boiled eggs, but for some reason my egg cooker is making the shells so hard to remove that I haven't been making any. I tried just boiling the eggs and same problem. I guess I don't know the trick to not having the shells stick in tiny little pieces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The trick is to peel while hot while running cold water over them. Works for me every time.

      Delete
  3. I could eat eggs at every meal. Love them, scrambled, hard-boiled, fried....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa,
      Me too! And, I can eat them every day for breakfast. I like them in tuna salad, potato salad. Eggs are delicious.

      Delete
  4. Caddie,
    Like Lisa said, peel while hot and under cold running water. I take the hot eggs and crack the eggs against clean sink divider and drop in the icy cold water, and then start peeling when all are cracked and in the water. A few ice cubes do not hurt. Plus, fresh eggs do not peel well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love eggs too! I eat maybe 2-3 a day (some times only the whites) especially on 'work out days' when I need protein. Eating these has been correlated to my cholesterol going down too - at least it is not going up in correlation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. urspo,
      Good for you. I do not believe eggs raise cholesterol as I have read medical studies. Maybe the exercise and other things lowered your cholesterol. Or not?

      Delete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.