Contact Me

Monday, March 12, 2018

Flowers, My Chin, Bunching, and Other Things

camellia from the internet


I forgot to say that my Yoshino Cherry and Redbud trees are in full bloom and have been for about a week. More tulips are blooming. The forsythia is all dead! I have not looked for the azalea. It may have died. It was a Mother's Day gift in about 1990. The dogwood does not bloom except for one branch. I bought a pink dogwood and now what is left is white. ugh! The grass//weeds need to be mowed!

Plus, on Friday, I bought more twenty-cent seed packets: zinnia, white Shasta Daisy, Chives, and White Lisbon bunching onions. What does "bunching onions" mean? They look like green onions, so I hope that is what I bought.

I have staked out a Camellia in the universe to root a few stems of new growth. Yes, that means I am appropriating a few stems or branch tips. The liberated stems will live at my house. Camellia bloom only in the winter, making it a rare delight. I took a picture of my elderly neighbor's camellia covered in snow. She was pleased to have the picture since she had never gotten a photo of the camellia in bloom and covered in snow.

Remember the hour and a half I sat in the cold, sun, and wind? Well, my chin looks like it has permanent sun damage. The skin is thick looking and feeling. Hopefully, this condition will go away. Since I had my back to the sun and the wind, hopefully this is just a horrid wind burn. Since I have never had such a thing happen to me, I am puzzled.

When I search for a tv station or program, I see a digital clock on the screen. Since it was 1:59 am Sunday morning, I wondered if the digital clock would click over to 3:00 am. It did,  making a magical moment. Silly me.

For the first time I used Roku. I still am fuzzy on how to do things, but I suppose I will learn. Basic Instinct was the first movie I watched since I had never seen it. I really hated that movie.  The murder story would have been just as powerful or maybe more so without the graphic scenes. You know the ones I mean and not the murders. And, I cannot stand Sharon Stone. There, it is in print. People think I am crazy for disliking her.

My intentions are to watch from five to seven movies each week. I pay $5.99/month, so these will be really cheap to view. Do they ever have newish movies? The Greatest Show on Earth is one I really want to see. There are plenty to watch and ones I will enjoy.

When I was in Walmart, a young woman of twenty said to me as a preface to something she was about to tell me, "I don't know, maybe you don't, but, do you happen to know who Kendall Jenner is?" How old does she think I am? How does one escape knowing who these people are? She knows I own a TV and she knows I own a laptop. You do not even have to be interested to know who they are. I wonder if she realizes who Bruce Jenner is.

Remember the succulents I was given, the three fingers. Well, I waited 48 hours before they touched dirt, which is all I did was touch them to dirt and press down a bit. One "finger" deflated from the top. It looks like a flat balloon. So, I cut off a bit of the tip and put it in a cup with a smidgen of water. It does not seem to be helping. I still had two in dirt. One is losing its green and is turning white. The third looks fat and sassy, more fat than when I put it in the dirt. It is getting greener than ever, and the little soft spines are once again prominent. Is there any hope for the deflated "finger" or the one turning white?

Friday, I was looking for something in a store and saw a clerk who is friendly but was not on the clock. She helped me and somehow mentioned her bf knew me. He was there with her, the son of a friend who died. The guy is exactly one week older than my oldest grandchild. I had not seen him since he was about twelve. He said he saw me all the time in the store and wondered when I was going to speak to him.  He is 6'5" and a body like Hugh Jackman only slimmer. He was about 5' tall and chubby the last time I saw him. I am so amazed that young people are not aware they change more than we do. I probably felt the same way.

Do you remember when last week I was complaining bitterly and whining about my feet freezing? Well, I had cracked a window about a quarter of an inch on a day near 80 F degrees. I did not close it and thought my toes would freeze off. I am happily wearing sandals and my toes are okay even though snow flurries are predicted for tonight. Writing this on Sunday night.

I am thrilled that DST has arrived so I will have more sun at the end of the day.

That pretty much ties it all up for me. Bunching onions? Windburn? Roku? Succulents?

9 comments:

  1. Your blooming flowers must be beautiful. I really miss the spring flowers, we don't get the 'chill factor' that bulbs need.

    Bunching onions are green onions or any onion that does not form a bulb and are typically sold in a bunch. Why can't they just be called green onions? Must be a marketing ploy.

    I think your chin must have severe wind burn as it takes quite a long time to have permanent sun damage. Is it blistering or peeling, does it hurt with pins and needles or dull ache? If any of the above I'd probably have it checked.

    Succulents - try a wait and see time. I've had some freeze damage, thought the plant was dead only to have a new sprout start from the bottom of the plant.

    Roku - we have 2 Roku boxes one for each TV. We add many free channels, mostly movie channels but some specific topic channels like gardening, small house living, frugal living. We also have paid subscriptions to Acorn (British shows), Netflix, Amazon Prime, DirectTVNow. Plus channels like Lifetime, AnimalPlanet, TLC, YouTube, etc. Play around with Roku and I'm sure you'll find lots of channels. We also have an in the attic antenna for the 3 networks so we can watch local news and Judge Judy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have daffodils all over the yard. But, I only have about a dozen tulips. I have several dozen iris.

      I thought the onions were bunching themselves up instead of spreading out. lol.

      Yes, I said it looks like sun damage. I did not think that is what happened, just saying what it looked like. It hurt for about three days. Now, just today, it is sort of itching and peeling.

      This morning, the deflated finger of succulent is inflating, it think. I put the rocks in the pot which helps to support the other two fingers. Now, it is where the sun will shine on it a little. I always give apparently dead things a chance to come back.

      Cannot afford anything else except Roku. The tv comes with Roku on it, so I do not need the box.

      Delete
    2. OK TV with Roku got my interest as we're going to have to replace one of the TVs in the next year.

      Can you use the Streaming Channels option with the Roku on your TV? I'd hate to give up so many free channels that I now watch.

      Delete
  2. All the flowers sound wonderful. I too hated that movie Basic Instincts and have never been a fan of Sharon Stone movies at all, either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I do love flowers.Well, at least there are two of us.

      Delete
  3. I just got a Roku for Christmas, have been watching movies and tv shows on Netflix. A favorite is Longmire. Just finished all 7 seasons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. kt,
      You watched Netflix with Roku? I must find my directions. Thanks.

      Delete
    2. Yes, you have to sign up though, it currently costs $7.99 a month, they have lots of great movies and tv shows to watch.

      Delete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.