Contact Me

Saturday, March 24, 2018

Storm Damage Scammers? Sales? Mandarin Oranges, Dole Pineapple

Saturday

I received two calls from two different companies saying they were going to be on my street tomorrow, Sunday, and would be inspecting my roof for damage. They did not ask. They told me as though I had contacted them. I told both callers that I did not need their services and not to come to my home or bother me again. I did not use my nice voice, either.

I suppose if there were anyone else living with me, I might have thought the other person had previously talked to them and made arrangements to inspect my roof. These people are probably scammers.

I wonder if I could con them into mowing my yard while I think about it and just be a dingy old lady.  ??? Just kidding.

I feel so much better, not so sluggish. The only thing that has changed is I am not taking prednisone or the second antibiotic. I have not slept since Friday morning and it is Saturday night. Well, I got almost an hour's sleep about 10 am. Then, a lawn mower woke me. 

Chic-fil-A has shredded canopies from the hail. Five Guys is closed for repairs, along with Aldi's. This is all one the same route I travel to WM. 

Hopefully, Dole Pineapple will be on sale somewhere this week. There was none on sale this past week. It was $0.88 at Christmas.  There are still the Wednesday sales. Have you seen a good deal on Dole Pineapple in the can?

My last purchase of canned Mandarin Oranges sits on the counter. Why is this my last purchase you ask? It is from China. Maybe there is another brand from somewhere else. Oh, I found one from the Philippines, so maybe I can have them canned again. I wonder if the Philippines gets them from China. 

Potatoes and onions were a great price this last week. I bought them but forgot the price. So, shoot me. Bananas are $0.44/lb. Apples are $0.99/lb, so Red Delicious is my goal. MMMM, sounds like a Jello salad to me. 

I have no ambitions to cook an Easter meal. I will cook what is easiest or needs to be cooked. I will boil and dye a few eggs. Plus, I will make Jello eggs in my little egg molds. 

I bought one Whitman's $1 chocolate bunny for exbf which I will put in a little nest of grass purchased on sale last year. I will be on the lookout in the kitchen for something to put the nest into. 

Okay, I need to go hang six pair of black pants in doorways. I wore a pair last night with worn out thighs, so I suppose I have exposed myself to the world. Only four of these are decent to wear out, and only two of those are still very black. 

Have you ever had a scammer contact you about storm damage? Do you have Jello egg molds? What are you having for Easter dinner?



10 comments:

  1. I had a scammer tell me I’d won something. I asked them lots of questions that they couldn’t answer and they got really angry with me. I can live with that. I don’t have a land line anymore and this seems to help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FD,
      This was on my cell phone! I wonder if these people can ever be stopped.

      Delete
  2. I feel the same way about the mandarins from China. I read a blog post one time about a lady who cans her own mandarins using the clementines that we have available to us. I'm not canning right now because my stove top's biggest burners are not working right now, but someday, when I get it fixed, I will get back to canning. I hope you find a good sale on pineapple this week or soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belinda,
      A chemical process is used in commercial canning in order to get the covering from the segments. Chemical? that worries me. I hope you get your stove whole soon. I have been through that with a stove.

      Delete
  3. No scammers that I know of but I've had some pretty aggressive sales folks come to the door. One advantage of living in a gated community is no salesmen allowed. I saw pineapple at the Dollar Tree yesterday but I really haven't been shopping for food. I needed some stronger reader glasses and bought 2 pair. Vow: this summer I really NEED to make an appointment with an eye doctor and have my cataracts removed! I made a list of all the food in my freezer and I'm slowly incorporating it into my meal plan. I want to get rid of a refrigerator soon- I have 2 and my main house one is going on 21 years old. You know it won't last much longer! The garage one is 16 1/2 years old too and it was just a cheapie when purchased.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nan,
      I rarely have salesmen at the door anymore. I think they all switched to the phone. I will keep my eyes peeled for pineapple this week. Ads come out today in the paper and Wednesday in the free paper.

      It took me a span of two years to get both eyes done and then to have the bubbles behind the new lens removed with a laser. There were delays all over the place. Now, I only need to pay for the lens for my glasses.

      My first refrigerator I bought in 1967 lasted for 30 years and this one for 20 years. It was cheap, too. I don't even want to think about its demise.

      Delete
  4. When scammers call I pretend I am someone else which makes me wonder what they think of me viz. an intruder in the house on whom they should call the police.
    As it is the two of us we will probably do nothing special next week, although I would adore a honey baked ham but they are too expensive this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. urspo,
      I try to sound mean. Since I don't sound my age (I have been told), I hope they think I am young and tough. lol...

      Save your appetite for Honey Baked Ham for a week, and they will be cheaper.

      Delete
  5. Last Fall I had someone knock on my door saying something about roof repairs (they spoke through the door, no way I open doors anymore for someone I don't know). I yelled (mean voice) through the door that I didn't want any roof repairs, door to door soliciting is illegal in ___, where I live, and they needed to get off my property right now, because I was calling the police to report them for door to door soliciting). They left, and I did call the police. Door to door soliciting at night seemed strange to me. I wonder what would have happened had I been dumb enough to just open the door to them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. susue,
      That's scary. I'm glad you called the police. Maybe that will keep them away from your neighborhood. Roof repair at night? Yes, that is when they can see your roof best. !!!

      Delete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.