Contact Me

Monday, March 26, 2018

Healthiest Easter Candy; Easter; Potato Salad

I have #3 and #4 in the last two weeks. Actually, all these candies are delicious. Well, I have not eaten the first two. Healthiest Easter Candy

This is being written on Sunday as exbf is coming tomorrow. He has a doctor visit for his disability on Tuesday, a free lunch day. This meal on Monday won't be really an Easter meal like I wanted. Carrots, potatoes, and cabbage and onions will be cooked in the oven. Garlic, celery, bell pepper, salt and pepper will season the oven cooked vegetables. I will put in four turkey thighs because they are thawed and need to be cooked.

I also took out a frozen boneless ham because I do not want turkey thighs. It should have been taken from the freezer at least on Saturday for it to be thawed. So, I will put it in crock pot or oven to thaw. We can have ham sandwiches for lunch with leaf lettuce. Maybe I will get a tomato. He can have turkey thighs and I will have ham again for dinner.

I was going to make Easter fare before Easter, but I am waiting until the week after Easter for that. If it doesn't happen on Easter or Easter weekend, what's the difference?

Since it is going to be coldish on Monday, the food will be okay and the oven won't heat up the house.

When he comes after Easter, I will have Spring fare. I have to have my Jello eggs.

This man hates potato salad, so I never make it. I don't think I have had potato salad since I met him in 2006. He becomes loud and adamant about his loathing of potato salad. So, the other day I told him I was not trying to persuade him to eat it, but just tell me calmly what he hated about it.

He hates cold crunchy potatoes. I think he has eaten too much church food. Some of those potato salads have half-cooked potatoes, and I cannot eat those either. He cannot stand cold potatoes. ??? I told him that when potato salad is first made, it is usually hot. He sort of conceded he might eat hot potatoes, just not cold. What else? What about eggs that he hates, too. Nope. He does not want to get those big chunks in his mouth. ???

He has obviously eaten some horrid potato salad and cannot get past it. I also have seen church ladies' potato salad where it looks like they quartered the egg, threw it in the potato salad, and it was not cooked well in the middle of the yolk. Those gross me out! My plan is to take boiled eggs and mush them with a fork until he cannot discern them. The yellow mustard will disguise the egg yolks.

I need to question him about how he feels about eating crunch celery. I may have to whir it up in the blender or just leave the celery out of his portion.

Monday night

And, don't tell me ladies at church or potlucks have never made disgusting potato salad. It is the one thing, in my book, that is not reliable. However, most potato salad is delicious. All the potatoes are gone, so I must buy more. Most of the carrots have been cooked and sent home for him. He got the
majority of the ham. Since I gave him most of the cabbage, I may cook the rest tonight.

This meal was definitely not a spring meal. But, it was chilly today, so it was just great.

He is gone with gallon bag containing everything I mentioned except for the turkey thighs. It is so cold here. I still will not wear socks and shoes. Summer is coming. I just know it is summer despite the cold.

How about the crunchy potatoes in potato salad and raw eggs? Grossed out like me?

18 comments:

  1. Make him a hot German potato salad. What is not to like about bacon and potatoes?
    I had started changing over my clothes and I am cold now. I am ready to wear flip flops exclusively!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      Oh, he would really love that! But, I wanted potato salad. Maybe I will make the German potato salad first and warm him up to the fact I won't give him stuff he hates.

      This was a bad experience with summer clothes and winter weather.

      Delete
    2. I was going to suggest German Potato Salad too! No eggs or mayonnaise. Comes straight from the oven, hot. I have always had great comments when I serve it.

      Delete
    3. tana50, I need this recipe, please.

      Delete
  2. My family loves potato salad but we pretty much just serve it in the summer- my secret is to add pickle relish so it sweetens the mixture up a bit. Yes, church food is only going to be as good as the person who made it and lots of folks can't cook. I learned from a cookbook and never cooked until I got married at age 21. Yes, I had made fudge and boxed cake/brownies but never a meal. I lived in the dorm at college and Mom just did all the cooking at home even though there were 4 kids and later 6. I taught my kids a few cooking skills but I pretty much did all the cooking. My husband made chili and sloppy joe and of course grilled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nan,
      I always chopped dill chips and sweet gherkins into the potato salad. Now, I just put in a bit of dill relish and a bit of sweet relish. Of course, a bit of the liquid gets in there, too.

      At home Mama put on food or started it and I was told how to tend it. Consequently, when I married, I did not know how to start to cook anything, just how to take care of it during cooking. Mama was appalled as she did not realize I did not know how to start food on the stove. So, I would call her and ask what to do and then stop her when I knew how to proceed.

      I never used a box cake mix until well into my marriage. In college my "dorm" was a regular house with four other girls. We all cooked, but the more aggressive girls insisted we do it their way and eat what they wanted. My husband never cooked anything, maybe toast in a toaster.

      Delete
  3. I was very excited about the healthy Easter candy until I checked the Reese's site for the PB eggs. I don't know where the info in the article came from but what I found was: a 1.2oz PB egg was 170cal and 16g sugar (the equivalent of 4 tsp), even just 2 of the mini eggs was 100cal and 10g sugar (2 1/2 tsp sugar). So, I'll just forego the treats. I'd go with a treat made with artificial sweetener, like Atkins' PB cups but my digestive system doesn't react well.

    I never liked potato salad for the same reason your exbf, until I had some make with 'overdone' potatoes - most pieces held their shape but some didn't - it was delicious. German potato salad is good warm, room temp or cold. Probably the bacon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bellen,
      Overdone potatoes are fine with me, just not crunchy! How well potatoes hold together after cooking depends on the type potato sometimes.

      Delete
    2. My MIL made potato salad with mashed potatoes and it was wonderful. Same ingredients, but no hard potatoes.

      Delete
    3. tana50,
      I have heard of that, but I have never tasted potato salad with mashed potatoes. It sounds good to me.

      Delete
  4. Best potato salad I ever had had tender but firm potatoes (cook then cool with skins on) and then add both green and black olives and big pieces of bacon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nawm,
      I have never had it like that, but I love black olives and bacon. Thanks.

      Delete
  5. I love a good potato salad. I've never made it as I don't think I'd do it well. It is a deli item I just choose to buy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam,
      I think you could. I have never bought potato salad. However, I can tell when it is deli and not homemade, with the homemade mostly being much better. Thanks.

      Delete
  6. I don't care for potato salad, but that's because I don't like much of anything made with mayonnaise. I like my hard boiled eggs cooked thoroughly--just short of the yolks turning green. I make egg salad with my leftover hard boiled eggs, using sour cream instead of mayonnaise, mustard, onion, celery and paprika.
    I would lose patience quickly at someone ranting about the food they dislike when somebody else is eating it, or suggests putting it on the menu. That's not even acceptable in a four-year old. A simple, "I don't care for it, but you go ahead" is more than sufficient.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meg B,.
      I might try sour cream in egg salad. It sounds delicious.

      I am the one who keeps bringing up the potato salad. However, most days, he is not subtle or diplomatic about food.

      I have been company and passed up something I abhor or am allergic to. The hostess keeps pressing me to have some. I say,
      No, thank you." When someone presses me to eat something I do not want to eat, I have been known to say, "I don't like whatever." Yes, that is rude, but so is pressing someone to try something and demanding to know why.

      Delete
  7. I have never had success trying to get my cooked potatoes to turn out right for potato salad, so I have only made it from scratch twice, and the potatoes were not cooked enough one time and too much the next time.

    For a while now we have been feeding our little Pomeranian one little canned potato with his dog food each day. He loves cooked potatoes, but I don't cook them that often. The brand of canned potatoes is the store brand, but they are pretty good tasting. I buy the ones that are whole canned potatoes. One time I was out of regular potatoes and added a can of these in with the roast and they turned out really good. Until I gave them a try for our little dog I imagined them to maybe taste can-ny or have a weird texture, but they seem pretty good tasting and texture wise in the brand we buy. I am going to try making regular mayonnaise, mustard, potato salad with them. I think if I mix up the other ingredients mostly before adding the potatoes (I will slice them thickly before adding), they should hold up well.

    For 43 years my husband has not eaten raw celery. I make his batch up separately. Just tonight we had chicken salad. I had four stalks of celery, a bit of chopped onion, a little chopped red bell pepper in my batch, a few craisins, and some miracle whip and mayo. I had a big heaping container full, using the same amount of chicken as I did in his. The chicken salad I made for him looked like such a skimpy amount when it was all done, bland mayonnaise, a bit of chopped onion and bell pepper, a little pickle relish and the chicken. It just looked sad compared to the chicken salad I was eating, with its bright green sliced celery and a few red craisins, but that is how he likes it.
    Made with celery it is so filling that I don't even eat bread with it. I put much, much less celery into potato salad and it is so finely chopped my husband doesn't notice it, or doesn't say so if he does.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have had some canned potatoes, but I have never tried them. Maybe now I will but have always thought they might be yucky. It is funny your dog like them.

      I put pieces of celery about 1/4 inch square since I cannot stand to bite on larger chunks. But, I put lots of celery in whatever I put it in. Thanks.

      Delete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.