Contact Me

Wednesday, March 28, 2018

Harrassment by "Hail Chasers"

Two people called me over the weekend telling me they would be on my street and would assess my roof damage. I told them to leave me alone or something trying to discourage them. One seemed to be a white woman and the other seemed to be an Hispanic male.

Today, an Hispanic male was on the phone, saying, "Linda! Linda!" His voice was loud, aggressive and demanding. I asked him what he wanted. He told me he was going to be by here tomorrow to look at my roof. I told him I did not need help. He kept talking non-stop. Since I could not get in a word sideways, I told him I would call the police if he stepped one foot on my property because I was telling him to stay away. He then asked me if I was sure my roof was okay. I told him to shut up as I hung up the phone.

Stupid me. I should be saying my husband is fixing it. Or, that my husband takes care of those things. Or, that someone is working on it right now. I usually say those kinds of things. And, from now on, I certainly will.

If I can figure out which number it was today, I will call the police.

When I went to Lowe's today, I cruised around the large State Farm tent in the Lowe's parking lot. I stopped to take a picture of it and a man and woman came out to talk to me, asking me if I had an appointment. I explained that I wanted a picture and asked how large was the tent--66'x66'. It had three lanes in it with room for about three cars in each lane, maybe two. This is where people drove their cars in for damage estimates. I am impressed. Two sides mostly were open and two sides were closed. I hope they can lash that huge tent down before the storm arrives in the morning.

Along one side were tables with agents. State Farm has a setup in a truck with a satellite dish. It was pulling a SF trailer. There were the bump out sides on the truck/camper thing like campers have. I was quite impressed.  Outside the tent were two or three porta-potties.

Exbf told me to get pictures, but I forgot. Well, I had to charge my camera. WM and Starbucks had huge pock marks from the hail that he wanted me to capture. On TV were smart phone videos showing hail coming through the roof and ceiling of WM. When I was in there tonight, a guy was in the store that had been working on the roof.

Aldi's looks like it is replacing the whole roof. Yesterday, they were putting wood all over the roof before the roofing. Hopefully, they got the roofing on today because tomorrow morning is another storm, but just rain.

With all the hail in my yard, on the windows, and on the siding, I had few trees or limbs that looked damaged. Even the many daffodils in all parts of my yard did not look beaten down. Hosta survived whole as did other things I figured would be damaged. The hail did not strip the cherry tree, either.

This is all quite interesting. Last Tuesday, exbf was all for sightseeing. But, we did not get in anyone's way. I was in Lowe's today but forgot to look inside or out to see if all the plants had been replaced.

Have you ever had storm damage and had people harass you about coming to assess the damage at your house? I did not have this kind of problem with the tornado damage in this town in 2011 which was much worse than this damage.

6 comments:

  1. unless I know the number who is calling, I just don't usually answer the call. if it's something important then they can leave a message. And if I do happen to answer a sales type call I just hang right up on them mid sentence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One,
      I usually hang up, but I don't know why I did not these three times. These have been very aggressive people! I have noticed some of the newer sales techniques are to start talking, asking questions and never give the person, me, a chance to respond. They think ramming their opinion down my throat will made me receptive when it does exactly the opposite.

      Delete
  2. I am with one family. If I don't know the number I don't answer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      These days, I have to be careful I ignore a doctor's office since they have different lines I have not put into my phone. Otherwise, that is what I have always done.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. urspo,
      Usually, I do without a word. It is the only way to preserve my sanity.

      Delete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.