Contact Me

Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Tuesday Cooking and NO Waste Day

No waste is saving money instead of throwing it away

But first--The CHAIR  has no stretchers. If I had not been so tired, I would have noticed and maybe not have bought it. Oh, well, if it tears up, it does. I will take it back.

Last night's dinner:

baked chicken
baked carrots
slaw
whole strawberries
leaf lettuce
water

I had about a cup of the free salad that was kale, radicchio, and Brussels Sprouts, so I put that in the cole slaw. I could not find the Miracle Whip, so I was going to make his cole slaw with Mayo and just eat the raw, shredded mix myself. So, I used up the cole slaw shredded mix and the salad. Neither was going off, but now it won't. savings

THEN, I found MW in the refrigerator, and my heart soared. That was mighty good cole slaw! I just hate mayo. savings

I put the three chicken breasts and about four pounds of carrots in a cooking bag. The carrots were on the bottom with chicken on top, and salt and pepper. I was so tired I forgot to put in garlic, onions, and celery for flavor. I even forgot to shake flour in the bag to keep it from exploding. It didn't.

However, I did set the bag on fire as I bent to put the pan in the oven. Since there was so little in the large bag and in a small pan, the end that was loose was long and waving around. I did not bend far enough and the top element came in contact with the bag, and, boy, did that stink for a loooong time. There was only one flare of fire, but it kept melting once it was away from the element. savings

He was looking forward to canned pineapple I mentioned and was very disappointed with fresh strawberries. How was I to know. ???  I try to eat the leaf lettuce every day, and the strawberries were going to go bad. I meant to send pineapple home with him, but I forgot. savings

Since I am so much better, I am not wasting food like I did for a while when I was very ill. It is still hard to bend down, especially to find that Miracle Whip lying on a bottom shelf and shoved to the very back. It hurt, but at least I was well enough to take the pain and not feel like I was going to fall on my head.

Even after I sent food home with him, enough food for two meals of chicken, carrots and slaw, there is plenty for me to have another two meals, too. So, that is six meals from one cooking session. Actually, we might both get one or two sandwiches or salads from the meat because there was a lot left for both of us. savings

A round roll of sausage, Jimmy Dean Mild, had swollen and looked scary, so I swapped that out at WM instead of wasting $3 worth of food. I ate a banana for breakfast that was pretty black on the outside and perfect on the inside. No wasted banana. savings

So, free lunch, soaking up the sun, easy food  preparation, six meals, nutritious meals, no waste, used up three foods, did not burn down the house... I call Tuesday a total savings win.

6 comments:

  1. Gotta love it when everything conspires to save a penny!
    I love canned pineapple but I also love strawberries and soft bananas are lovely in a smoothie.

    I hope the chair holds together but in my experience, it most likely won't!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have smoothies on my brain right now. Maybe I will make one.

      Since he only comes here once a week, maybe it will hold up for longer than we might think. That is my hope, anyway. If it gets wobbly, I will take it back immediately instead of waiting for it to fall from under him.

      Delete
  2. I am trying very hard to have no food waste also but it is not always easy. I still had a halo that became too mushy to eat and the top part of a bell pepper was tossed. I have been trying to make just what we will consume is a given meal which has helped with food waste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to make enough for several meals! I threw out six halos that would have gone back to the store if I had kept the receipt. It was the halos not my procrastination in eating. I hate it when I let a portion of a bell pepper got to waste. At least you used almost all of it. By dehydrating vegetables, I have less waste and it is already chopped when I need it.

      Delete
  3. Good for you with the no food waste. I always vow every year a a New Tears resolution to try to be more mindful in the kitchen, but alas, I just had to throw away 2 bags of shredded chicken and a sad looking orange. Now that I have a lot of Pyrex containers, there is no excuse for not freezing and eating later. I will freeze and then the bag gets all frosty and I don't want to eat it! Shame on me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nan,
      Frosty won't hurt you...lol. If you think it has changed the taste, just put some bbq sauce on the chicken. Or, maybe you could just plan to eat it soon. I had lots of chicken breasts, so I froze some of them after I cooked them and got them out the next week. They had no chance to get frosty. A bag of citrus is difficult to eat before it goes mushy. That is why I give some to him. We can eat it up faster instead of me tossing some. One person does have to be mindful since food does not disappear like with another person or a family.

      Delete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.