Contact Me

Tuesday, March 6, 2018

Free Lunch and Goodies

Stapelia leendertziae - Black Bells
Black Bells


Today was the Free Lunch at a church. When we walk in there is a sign-in sheet. They want to know who is there and how many they serve. I signed us in and put $2 in the donation basket. A woman offered me something in a baggie. She explained it was a cactus then said it was a succulent. When I asked if it was sticker-y, she offered to let me feel. I will not take home anything with spines. These are long with soft sticker-looking things. She said to just barely put them in dirt and they would root and flowers would bloom low near the dirt.

I have three long fingers like the picture at the top. I think that is what I have. Maybe? Maybe not?


There was a program from the County Agent/Extension Office. The subject was portion sizes. I won a tote bag by answering a question right and first. We all received thermometers for our refrigerators.

The tote bag is shorter and longer than most, just the right size to lay a loaf of bread in. I hate to stand my bread in a bag and have it folded. I have one other bag that is appropriate for bread. It is one of the plastic kind with a design of kiwi slices. Very pretty.

The meal was fantastic:
Chicken salad on leaf lettuce
congealed salad--cool whip, Jello, cream cheese, fruit and nuts
muffin that had carrots, nuts, and coconut...yum
three chocolate chip cookies
choice of beverage, I had unsweetened tea
fruit bowl--red grapes, white grapes, strawberries, cantaloupe. pineapple

I ate his lettuce he left. He got my cantaloupe and gave me part of his strawberries. This is the church that uses real utensils, glass plates and glasses for drinks. We all have placemats, too.

Conversation was superb!

I came home with a succulent, (three stems of it), tote bag; refrigerator thermometer.

We went to Walmart for field peas with snaps for dinner. At Publix, I got two half gallons of my a2milk.

Now, I am resting. Soon, I will make meatloaf for him and cook chicken breasts. Slaw, corn cut from cob and frozen from last summer along with field peas and snaps, He will get all the meatloaf and whatever he eats of the chicken for dinner.

When I washed my hair this morning, it did not look so terrible with the awful haircut. No, I have not let go of that!

Wool blanket is airing outside on the line in sunshine and wind. I planted bunches of daffodils given to me last week.

And, the ground beef was ground pork, so I am not cooking that for him to take home, since I can eat pork without dire consequences.

Dinner was delicious and easy--chicken, field peas and snaps, corn, and slaw.

Have you ever heard of the succulent pictured? Any information on caring for it other than the way succulents are cared for?

12 comments:

  1. Your lunch sounds delicious!
    No clue about the plant, but I have a black thumb so it is pretty normal that I have no clue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      It was. If you ever come up on the right Tuesday, I will treat you to lunch...lol. I thought I had read things you said about planting in the yard. Maybe someone else is in charge of that. Tomatoes?

      Delete
    2. I plant and grow stuff but it has to be everyday ordinary tuff. If it is exotic or requires any special care it is doomed here!

      Delete
    3. Anne,
      Only because this was offered am I going to plant it. I agree about ordinary stuff. The aloe lived, so I am encouraged. However, I killed a Jade plant long ago.

      Delete
  2. Had to check the Black Bells plant - other than being a succulent all I found was that is sought after by collectors. Score one for you!

    I have 2 half barrel planters with assorted succulents, the only I know the name of is the aloe. Some of the plants send up a stalk with tiny pink blossoms, one looks like the head of a hammer-head shark with soft spines, a couple are rosettes, none have spines. I do nothing to them - NOTHING - and they are very content. The pot is full of Florida dirt, sand with some shells and a little potting soil mixed in and I shallow planted the succulents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bellen,
      Sought after? I will have to read more. I have dirt, sand, and potting soil. I have the perfect pot for this. Thanks.

      Delete
  3. I have never heard of black bell, but that picture sure is pretty.
    What I do know is that succulents do not like a lot of dirt. In any case, what a nice gift. Oh, your mention of congealed salad prompted me to put it on our Easter menu. I typically make a strawberry pretzel salad, but this year I might just make a lemon congealed salad. Depends on what the main course will be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meg B.,
      hmmm, don't like a lot of dirt, you mean not to far into the dirt or just a bit of dirt in the pot? I didn't know that, but I have an aloe that has been sitting unattended for a year. I sprayed it one spritz when I got it and that was that. Thanks.

      I don't know what flavor this congealed salad was, but it was delicious. I have never made a strawberry pretzel salad, but I have eaten them. Love them.

      Delete
    2. "Don't like a lot of dirt" means you can stick them between stones in a retaining wall, (which I do with my "Hen and Chicks" with just a bit of dirt to hold them in. They don't like to be planted like you would a potted plant. It's that quality that makes them so good for rock gardens.

      Delete
  4. Meg b.,
    I get it now. Thanks. I think I will put rocks in a pot and put a little dirt over those, allowing rocks to be at top and use those rocks to hold these up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. the conversation meal sound nice for good food and conversation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ur-spo,
      It was a great experience...food and conversation.

      Delete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.