Contact Me

Tuesday, April 23, 2024

Lyrid Meteor Shower

 

Tuesday was slow. That makes it an excellent Tuesday! We offered a woman food, mostly meat and vegetables, bread and a pie. She responded so vociferously that I thought she was yelling at me for something I did wrong. Well, no. She said she had no money and had to borrow money from her niece because they were low on food. She was almost crying but smiling and grabbed me and hugged me. That made it a better Tuesday. She saw the four containers of meat, about ten pounds. Then she saw the cookies. That was why she hugged me. She went on and on about giving her cookies. 

I wished that I had gotten her number to give her more food and other things like soap and shampoo. 

There is a meteor shower for the next two weeks. I will try to catch it, at least for a few meteors. Don't expect to step outdoors for five minutes to see a meteor. Go out, let your eyes adjust, put away the phone because it has a light. Being in an isolated area where there is no light pollution is best. Face the expected direction of the shower. Do not use binoculars! 

"This is the first time since 1861 has been in the inner solar system, and it won’t return until 2278." 

The Lyrid Meteor Shower Will Illuminate Skies For The Next 2 Weeks (inspiremore.com)

As a child, Mama and Daddy spread a quilt on the ground at night and we lay watching the skies. I have watched meteors which we knew by 'shooting stars' or falling stars.' They also taught us the constellations while watching for a display. Did you call them 'shooting stars' or 'falling stars' when you were young or even now? I still refer to them as "shooting stars' when I am engaged in watching them. Yes, my parents knew they were meteors. 

Tonight, I put color on my hair and somehow did not get a spot right in the top of my head. I don't know how that happened. But, it is done. I have more color...lol. Next week...

4 comments:

  1. I remember one night in particular on Australia's Gold Coast. It was the night I turned 25 and we had all been to a disco, then back to the Youth Hostel and stayed up all night watching the skies. There were so many shooting stars it was unbelievable. Someone said we could probably see them more easily because there was so little pollution compared to Europe, but who knows!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Treaders,
      I am quite sure that lack of light pollution helped you to be able to see more shooting stars. It sounds like a magical night and birthday.

      Delete
  2. We call them meteors. I might have called them shooting stars when I was a kid, but I never saw any until we moved here. I remember the first time I woke up around 1a.m., and stepped out on the balcony off our bedroom and sat down on a chair during the Perseid meteor shower after we moved here. I was pregnant (of course)so wasn't sleeping well. I couldn't keep up with the amount of meteors! I woke up my husband, and was going to wake my two eldest, but thought better of it. Now, it's a tradition for a kid to sit outside with me during the Perseid. Generally we don't bother with the Lyrid, as it's usually too overcast and chilly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meg,
      That is a great memory. If i had a balcony off my bedroom, I would watch more meteor showers.
      This is a special and closer Lyrid, the reason I want to try to see it.

      Delete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.