Contact Me

Thursday, April 4, 2024

Car Shopping While Hungry

 Yesterday, Wednesday, we went to a lecture we have attended before. Before, it was free and included light lunch. Now, we have to pay $10 apiece and lunch is even lighter. However, we were served a vegetarian lunch which left me rather ill because of the lack of protein, unless you count the cream cheese on the piece of bread. If we ever go again, we are forewarned and will bring something substantial. We both had cereal and milk for breakfast. 

As we were getting dressed and ready to leave, a woman with whom I was to meet called me. We had to talk several times in thirty minutes, making us late leaving here. It was a mess but she is trying to work cleaning houses, needs a car, and had a funeral to attend and people who needed her out of town. Eventually she got to us in a car lot where we were car shopping. Later, she was so ill she could barely leave the bathroom. I just hope I don't come down with same thing. 

We looked at cars again. I forgot the one Tommy found that he liked. Used cars are so expensive! We only drove two and then only on the lot. There was one car that had its twin sitting right beside it. We finally told the guy we needed two cars. 

I have gotten ahead of the story. When I talked to the woman before we left here, she started talking about buying my car. I didn't remember telling her I wanted to sell it, so I was confused but discussed her buying my car. Finally, I asked her when we talked about this before. She said, "Oh, you did not. I just saw it the day I cleaned and wondered if you wanted to sell it. She was thrilled it was an Impala because that is what she always has driven. 

The catch is she said her husband would have to take it to his mechanic and have him go over it with fine tooth comb. She wants to take it for 12 hours and 50 miles away. I bought this car behind the courthouse and without anyone looking at it. So, I will have to say NO to her request. It seems I am being mean. That is how I feel about refusing her. I only know her because I know her mother, the woman who died last fall. 

Yesterday was so windy that my hair was blowing every which way as I got out of the car at the car lot! Our masks blew off the dashboard and onto the gravel lot. Plus, the disabled tag flew right off the mirror. The salesman chased it down and put it back. My hair was washed before we left and had no product, so the fine hair was torn about. I believe that is the worst wind I have encountered outside of trying to escape tornado winds! I have done that a few times!

Last night, we were exhausted. Between no protein for lunch, very sweet homemade honey dressing for the salad, honey in a drink, and tension of car buying. I just could not find my brain to type. After spending $20 for lunch and another $8 for protein for a Whopper Jr, I was annoyed. Plus, it upsets my equilibrium and gives me a headache to not eat something with absolutely no protein in it. Homey and cream cheese will not help me in the protein department. 

I had chicken and potato salad for dinner. Tommy had a plate full of food, no idea what. 

Sleep came easily but in fits and starts. After nine hours sleep, I sort of feel better. Today will be a slow day. I intend to take the car to car wash in case the mower who is coming wants to look it over and buy it. He was very interested last week. I am asking firm $6Kfor 2008 Impala LT with 60K miles on it, no mechanical problems, no oil leaks, no dings. 

If neither of the two people interested want it, I will start asking 8K so we can have fun and dicker with next people who look. After looking at cars with 180K miles, 8 years old, and $23K, I am ready to raise the price of mine.  

Car shopping would be more fun if we had more money. Besides, my brain hadn't had enough protein. Next time, we carry food with protein. 

10 comments:

  1. Your car sounds in really good shape - why do you want to replace it with something that you have to spend $ on? Just curious. Mine is 2002, runs great, has low miles and is in good shape and I will use it till the wheels fall off! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl,
      Like I have said before, I can no longer get out of the car without great pain. And, I need something to hold a scooter. I had my car that was totaled for 18 or 19 years, so I have driven cars many years before replacing.

      Delete
  2. No way I'd let someone take my car for a full half day 50 miles away. Insurance typically follows the car, not the driver, so if they got in an accident, it would affect your insurance.

    When we sold our car to a friend, we gave her a copy of its most recent oil change & multi-point inspection, as well as a safety inspection report.

    I drive a 2015 Ford Fusion. 9 years old with 105k miles. I put less miles on it now that I WFH 2 days/week & try to run errands on the days I drive to work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tiffany,
      That is what I think, too. I drove my car that someone totaled for 19 years and was happy with it. Your situation works out fine.

      Delete
  3. Are you and Tommy not able to get along with just one vehicle? It takes some compromising but can work. You seem to have been doing just that for some time. Maybe one better new vehicle if you only have to purchase one and can sell your own car.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Connie,
    No, that is not what either of us wants or needs. We do compromise every day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always enjoy a chicken dinner/lunch.
    Good luck with your car sale.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan,
      I never get tired of chicken. Thanks.

      Delete
  6. I read that because of covid, etc. that buying a new car may be a better deal than buying used right now. There are certain brands that have more than a 55 day supply(which is a dealers target amount)and are ready to make deals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Slugmama,
      I believe that. One car, Jeep Laredo, we sort of liked was $23K with 40K miles, 2018. Same car, 2016, 150K miles, $18K.

      Delete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.