Contact Me

Tuesday, April 16, 2024

A Fall

 About 9:30 on Monday night, Tommy came into the living room, was looking around and saying, "Where did you...where is it...what did you do with...on and on, over and over. I was wondering what he wanted, so I kept asking him and he said, 'nothing' or 'never mind' or just went back to the kitchen. Then, he would come back, wander around and not answer me. He was ill with me. Finally, after about 15 minutes of this, I heard the biggest crash ever in this house. I rushed into the kitchen. Remember, this chair is slow lifting and then I have to make an extreme effort to get out. So, rushing into the kitchen takes a long time. 

Tommy was lying on the floor with blood on hand and head. Briefly tried to talk with him, but he was barely conscious. He made no sense when he muttered. I called 911 immediately. Ambulance and firetruck came screaming. 

They treated Tommy where he lay. I asked the two women with him if one of them could turn off the eye where food was burning. His blood pressure was very high. His blood sugar was 32...32! They immediately put in an IV of sugar. Their words not mine. 

The guys asked if he had high blood pressure. Since the doctor prescribed high bp med before he had high bp, I never know how to answer, so I said he did take bp med. I showed it to them and gave them water and they served it to him. My bp was sky high at that point! 

He landed on his stomach but managed to turn to his back before anyone came. He could not tell me if he was hurt. I gasped at the blood on his hand. I came back and there was blood on the other hand and the outer corner of his eye. He was in the narrowest place in this house by far, right as he was still in kitchen and heading to door to living room. I could not get close. I could not step over him and keep my balance. Besides, I wondered if he would trip me thinking I was stepping on him. 

I heard squeaking from where he and four EMTs were standing as I sat in my chair. One guy came in here, and I asked him what was the squeaking. I feared it was Tommy. One of the women had laryngitis. Fifteen minutes later when Tommy was recovering, he asked what was squeaking. He said he was really troubled, thinking something was wrong with him still that he could not hear things right. 

So, once they got Tommy up, they sat him on his walker. Then, they helped him up and wanted him to push his walker to living room. They commented about his pb by chair and said he needed that in a pbj sandwich, asking him if he had bread. He started making a pb sandwich. He refuses to eat jelly on it. After the people left, I got him a warm real Coke. I told him it was warm and to drink it anyway. He did. 

I was exhausted from the drama and worry for Tommy. I finished the burger I had half cooked. I gave him that on a bun and heated a bowl with all the leftovers of potato, broccoli, and green beans. There was little of each.

The reason his blood sugar was dropping was that we wanted to watch Antique Road Show. I know he should manage his own health, but obviously, he won't. And, he just now told me F*** Off! 

I had to wake him at 2 am to take meds and his insulin because he did not even take meds! He is so exhausting. And rude. This is why I didn't do anything to help him when he was wandering around just before he fell. I knew abuse would follow. I would have done more if I actually thought he would fall. He tells me he knows what he is doing and does not need help! He is too big to manhandle as if he were three. 

It is 3 am, and I cannot sleep!

Do you have experience with someone with diabetes who will not listen? He will get the little dexcon thing to wear, but will not allow it on my phone because he "can do it himself" because he "knows what he is doing."

He had a boarder about 20 years ago who found him unconscious in the living room. She called an ambulance and he was taken to the hospital. He complained that all she needed to do was put food in his mouth. He did not know about the tubes of gel to squeeze in a person's mouth and said he did not need  to keep those around because food would work, too. Seee? If I do try to force anything on him, he will hurt me because he is strong. Remember?

Tuesday now. So, he lived through the night. I always worry about that. 

Between the two of us, we cooked three packages of sliced chicken and sliced turkey breast, potatoes, carrots, squash and onions. I did put garlic powder and onion powder on all. 

We ate late, too late. I had Tommy eat pb that he put on crackers. He did not argue as he usually does. I suppose his cut eye still hurts. The cut is right on his brow, right on the bone. I bled lots and then quit. He has a few other small bruises, but I forgot where. He was not hurt so it affected his walking. 

I have the name of a new Endocrinologist and will get an appointment for Tommy, too. 

Do you or have you dealt with a diabetic in trouble who does not know it?

14 comments:

  1. Too bad he will not listen, as this will eventually cause him serious problems. I had a niece who wouldn't listen to anyone about her problem, and she is no longer with us now, sadly. If he falls and breaks something, he will have to go to rehab and you will be alone. Not a good situation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl,
      I keep telling him this can kill him indirectly, but he uses the F word, his power word. If this happens in the car, it can kill me, too. If I don't fall, I will be okay alone. I suppose I would have to wear one of those buttons around my neck. But, I would not want him hurt so he would have to go to rehab.

      Delete
  2. Oh no on Tommy's falling! How terrible. That low blood sugar will definitely do that to though. I'm glad he is OK now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belinda,
      He is okay now. But, I worry that he will have an episode while driving.

      Delete
  3. Very scary for you. I don't deal with a diabetic but with other elders who won't tell me everything. We did find out the hard way that Gpa P is allergic to bees. Still doesn't stop him from always sitting right where they can be found. Younger sis did get him to finally replace epi pen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had an elderly neighbor who was stung by hornets who was writing out what happened in case she died. Well, I took care of the stings. She had fender benders and falls all the time and told me not to tell her daughter. Of course, I went straight home and called her daughter. But, we agreed not to let her know her daughter knew. That way, she could still be aware of what was going on in her mother's life and with her health.

      Maybe you can discourage the bees. They do like the color yellow and some plants they hate. Put smears of Vicks on his clothing and skin. They even make one Vicks that is like a stick of deodorant. Beware, it can be messy, so you have to be careful since it is softer than deodorant.

      Delete
  4. That sounds so scary. A friends dad was diabetic and didn't take care of himself. Lost a foot to the disease. I think I'd refuse to ride in the car if he's driving - not to mention he could seriously injure or kill someone else in their car, if he causes an accident.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One,
      I have pointed all this out to him. He will not allow me to drive unless I call cops and they stop him. Then, they won't allow him to drive. I don't want to die. He always tells me he is okay, even when driving with low blood sugar, 32 one time.
      One time on the interstate I told him I had to go to bathroom. When he stopped, I opened the door, got out and reached back in and grabbed the keys. I started to the gas station and he yelled for me to come back, that he would let me drive since I was so insistent...lol. I would have called police to get him out of driver's seat.

      Delete
  5. How long have you & Tommy been together?

    And may I ask what this is referring to? "If I do try to force anything on him, he will hurt me because he is strong. Remember?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I met him in 2006 and he broke up with me in 2009. Yet, he never missed a week coming to see me at least once.
      I wrote about him lifting himself over the tub, like a pullup and his muscles in arms, shoulder, back and chest were bulging. He has made himself super strong. So, even half passed out, he could easily overpower me and maybe hurt me.

      Delete
  6. It might be time for both of you to consider assisted living.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh dear, I am sorry you are experiencing this.
    Perhaps a new Endocrinologist will be able to help.
    I do hope so.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan,
      Thanks. He has never been to endocrinologist! Just his regular doctor. I know. But, for the first time, he quit yelling about going to one and is ready to go.

      Delete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.