Contact Me

Wednesday, April 17, 2024

$68 Million in Coins

 Tommy's eye is barely discolored. I thought for sure he would have a real shiner. He is not hurting anywhere after the fall. I had trouble sleeping after all the excitement. I slept two hours, awoke and could not sleep. I went out at 7 am and put the car back into the carport, so that the predicted rain would not get it spotty. Then, I watched TV for a bit and went back to bed for another two hours' sleep. Then, I stayed awake for two hours, lay back down and slept three hours. So, my sleep was in three sessions. 

Thankfully, we had plenty of cooked food for dinner--chicken breasts, potatoes, carrots, squash, onions. Yep, we had that last night, too. 

The mower did not come as he said today. He got something in his eye and had to go to eye doctor after work. He usually comes on Thursday, anyway. That way, he can pull the trash to the road for Tommy. So, he will be here on the right day. 

At the very back of the yard are many limbs of the tree behind us, hanging down to the ground on our side. I wonder if the mower cuts them, will it be okay to toss them over the fence or are we supposed to carry them to the road in front of my house? I cannot get back to the fence to talk with them and do not want to annoy them by cutting their branches. 

When I was eight, somehow I became the owner of an buffalo nickel. When my grandson was eight, I gave it to him along with a coin book. I really, really, REALLY wish I had another buffalo nickel. But, I don't regret giving mine to grandson. 

I have been wanting Tommy to go to an endocrinologist when I go to one so he can better manage his diabetes. He always yells. Today, I was on the phone telling a friend the plan. He did not say a word during my conversation or afterwards. So, finally, maybe we will find answers and get a Dexcom monitor to stick on him. 

Today, I read an interesting article about coins, lost and found.

Americans Throw Away Up to $68 Million in Coins a Year. Here Is Where It All Ends Up. (msn.com)

Do you have a coin collection, large or small? 

Do you pick up pennies?

6 comments:

  1. My daddy loved coins! When he put his paycheck into the bank, he would get rolls of pennies and go through them one by one. He separated the wheat heads from the regular pennies. He had at least two of the five gallon milk cans mostly full of regular pennies. He passed when I was nine. One Christmas as a teenager, I rolled pennies for DAYS so I could buy Christmas presents. We never touched the wheat head pennies, though. After my momma passed six years ago, we split the wheat heads three ways and I have mine on display in a nice container in the living room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alice,
      Those were the coins I loved the most. I had a container of wheat pennies that were lost in my house. I only had the one buffalo nickel, but lots of wheat pennies. I love your father's hobby.

      Delete
  2. If the limbs are on your side of the fence you have the right to trim them - at least that is how it is here.
    I have thousands of pennies. Small trash cans full. I have a booklet of old coins my daddy made up for me when I was tiny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl,
      That is the way it is here, too. However, I might want to let them know I am going to do it. Someone cut a small limb over their fence, and they mangled the limb by partially cutting it and then twisting it and stripping part of the bark off before they finished. I just want to put their minds at rest about cutting it.
      He is checking it as he mows today and will tell me how far over the fence it is and especially how far on the ground it is. I wonder if guy can mow without dodging it. He has an eye injury as it is.

      Delete
  3. The coin you passed on was probably either an Indian Head penny or a Buffalo nickel. I have never heard of a Buffalo Penny but I do admit that I know very little about coins. John bought quite a lot of coins. His favorite was the Morgan Dollar. I have not gone through his collections yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janet,
      My big mistake! It was a buffalo nickel! I will fix that. If I had ever had a Morgan Dollar, that have might have been a favorite. I am still very tired from Tommy's problem. Thanks.

      Delete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.