Contact Me

Friday, May 11, 2018

Worse for you than sugar

I have long thought that one food source was not healthy. The link is a video, so there will be sound. I avoid the food like the plague.

On Wednesday, I marinated a chuck steak in Grill Mates Mesquite Marinade, a $1 envelope to which I added water and olive oil. After marinating for 12 hours, I put it in a turkey bag and cooked in oven for about an hour.

He took that home Thursday, along with a salad. Usually, I have to ask him how was his dinner. Tonight, when he called, he opened with, "That was a definite win on the steak." Since it was beef and lots of spices, I only took only one tiny bite and loved it, too.

A friend's child (21) mowed the yard Thursday. We went to get him and took him home. I had lawnmower and gas, After an hour and ten minutes, he finished picking up sticks and limbs and mowing the front yard. I gave him $12, hoping it was not too little. We drove 20 miles picking him up and taking him home. Considering he only mowed, did I pay him enough?

He mowed down a Hosta, but left everything else I wanted. It was a tiny Hosta amongst weeds! So, it is okay.

Exbf took me to hospital Thursday before the mowing and sat in the car and waited with grapes, strawberries, and a bottle of water.

Friday morning, I have another test at the hospital.

I am slow reading and commenting on blogs, but I will get around to it.

Do you avoid soy or embrace it? Did I pay the guy who mowed enough money?



13 comments:

  1. the young man who will be mowing my inlaws yard is charging $12/hr so I think you are good with what you paid him, especially since you provided the transportation, too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One,
      Thanks for the reply. I did not want to short him. His brother said he would do it for any amount, that he just wanted to do good for the community. I think having the mower, gas, and transporting him are worth something.

      Delete
  2. I think $20 would have been better. If he agrees to do it again, you'll know you paid him enough!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bobbie,
      After he left, I found three candy wrappers and a plastic bottle cut to smithereens in the wake of the mower. That was the first thing I said to him and showed him to pick up! So, the first thing he will do is find the pieces. Then, his time starts. I am sure $40 would have been better...lol. Finding things undone and worse of all, something made worse annoys me.

      Delete
  3. I dont eat any soy . Im sure that sometimes it is in premade things that I dont realize .
    I think the $12 was enough for the one hour of work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara,
      Some sort of soy seems to be in everything, unfortunately. It is good you avoid it. I think $12 was enough, too. Just wondered. He is coming tomorrow.

      Delete
  4. I can't eat soy due to my family history of breast cancer. It is really a dangerous bean for me. The only time I drank Soy milk was when I was going thru menopause. I cleared it with my doctor. But I can't do edamame or anything like that. Thank goodness I hate Tofu.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. rhitter94,
      I am glad you know not to eat it. I feel sorry for the children whose mother feeds soy to them, even as infants.

      Delete
  5. I have a soy food sensitivity so avoid it whenever possible and don't cook with it. I use butter and olive oil and keep some canola oil for the occasional use in baking.
    I think $20 is the going rate here but considering how far you had to travel with him perhaps $15 would have been a good compromise?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Margie,
    $20 for mowing the yard? He only mowed the front yard which is free of obstructions. I also provided mower and gas. Lots of guys will mow but have no mower. Other guys want $100. Some guys have mower and transportation and argue with me about how high it should be mowed and about the fact it won't hurt to throw all the limps and sticks into the shrubs.

    He is taking two days to mow because I had to go to doctor the other day. Next time, he can mow the whole thing in one day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like edamame.
    Soy was promoted for such a long time as a 'female food' it became anathema for men to eat any soy viz. real men don't eat soy. I guess we lucked out some here.

    ReplyDelete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.