Contact Me

Sunday, May 6, 2018

Groceries this week

5 bananas
leaf lettuce
2 Roma tomatoes
5 lbs. carrots
jar of spaghetti
doz. eggs
bread
frzn field peas and snaps
lemon
avocado (88 cents)
4 more bananas
12 oz. bag dried apples reduced from $2.98 to $1
Hostess cupcake, a 2-pack
12-pack Caffeine Free Regular Coke

While I did not make guacamole with the avocado, it was time to buy an avocado. Exbf always makes a fuss when I comment I have bought avocado, raising his voice, saying he does not like avocado or guacamole. When we went to the last lunch and there was avocado in the salad, I offered to take it along with the black olives he was wanting me to remove from his salad. He commented, "Oh, I can handle the avocado better than the black olives. Never mind." ???

If he does not want avocado, I certainly will not press it on him. But, why all the fuss all along? Such a mystery. I don't announce the purchase of an avocado, I just name it when telling what I got at the grocery store. Of course, I am sure his heart is beating faster at the mention of carrots and field peas.

The avocado has turned black and it is still rock-hard. I saw a recipe once for deviled eggs. An avocado had been mashed with the hard-boiled yolk. I may try that with a couple of the eggs I have boiled. He will not get any of that since he does not like eggs or avocados. He never eats up all my bananas because he hates those worse than he hates eggs, thankfully.

There were few bargains in what I purchased. Bread from the bread store was $0.99 with a date of May 08, 2018. Bananas were $0.44/lb. Everything was purchased at WM except for the bread. I only look for bargains at Publix when I go there for the a2milk.

There are two bread stores in this town, both close by. I had a bad experience at one and just quit going.  Now, years later, I tried it again and it is calm there now. Bread is cheaper and quality is better. Today, since it is Saturday, it was closed when I decided to go. That's okay since Nature's Own is a bread I really like.

The food I bought is not indicative of what I have eaten. I have apples and cabbage, and there is always canned or frozen food. I spent around $20. The last 5 lb. bag of carrots lasted me over a month. I cooked them once a week and had several meals off what I cooked each week. The jar of spaghetti will make three meals. The bananas I bought today will last into next week.

I put a piece of the Christmas ham in the refrigerator to use in the salad or sandwiches or whatever for this next week.

The only way I kept up with what I bought was to start a post and add to it each time I made a purchase.


6 comments:

  1. Avocado is very popular right now, but I can take it or leave it. How does he not like eggs though?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michelle82,
    I rarely eat avocado, but I never turn it down. I was just in the mood this week. I asked him if he had a bad experience with eggs. After 12 years of knowing him, I finally asked him if he had had a bad experience with eggs. It turns out he will eat scrambled egg if cooked very done, dry. He will eat them in baked goods, but not boiled and in tuna or potato salad. But, he won't eat potato salad because he does like cold potatoes. I could pull my hair out some days thinking of this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Call me odd, but I simply cannot bear avocado. I have always disliked it. I know this is unusual, because the local Mexican restaurant knows to leave guacamole off anything I order...and I don't go there very often, so the fact that I asked them to hold it must stand out.
    That said, I don't care what other people eat, and certainly wouldn't make a fuss about not liking something a friend purchased on their grocery trip. That's just rude. It reminds me of being in the dining hall in college, and students at the table telling another student how the food they chose was disgusting. Grow the #&%# up, already. I didn't even let my toddlers pull that...eat what you want, leave what you don't want, but if you complain at the table, you prepare the next night's meal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Meg B,
    I agree with every word you wrote. I really hate someone commenting on my plate of food when I am not trying to convert them or force them to eat the same thing. He knows I will give him what he likes and feels free to comment to the extent he refuses to eat things. I would really be annoyed if I told him what I was cooking and then he refused to eat it. Eggs, tuna, and cold cooked potatoes are the things he does not like that annoy me.

    My son pulled that, complaining about what other people liked and were eating and enjoying. He did quit that! Exbf does not do that.

    No, I don't think you are odd. We all have different likes and dislikes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I actually bought myself two avocados this morning - a real treat as they are the small ones and $1.47 each at the moment - and that's a pretty good price for here! I made sure that they were at different stages of ripeness so that I can have them over a couple of days - I love avocado toast with tomato!
    My groceries this week were mainly produce - needed carrots, potatoes, onions, mushrooms & peppers. Milk and Half & Half are on special this week so I bought a litre of each this morning and will buy more tomorrow. The only other items on my must buy list are tea and clam juice as I plan on making clam chowder later this week.
    Your Ex seems a bit fussy but I guess he isn't going to change now and he does seem to appreciate all the cooking that you do for him.
    I've just made up a batch of chicken salad, there are pork chops simmering in tomato sauce and I've just finished mashing a pot of potatoes. I take a few meals each week to my elderly neighbour so I'll finish making up some containers for him once the pork chops are finished. That's my cooking done until I make the clam chowder - probably Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Margie,
    Avocados are 88 cents right now. They had been about $2 and $3, so now was the time to buy.

    That is how I like to cook, enough for several meals. I guess the elderly man I feed is exbf. He never buys any fruit, so I buy it and send it home with him. Remember, he did buy two half-gallons of milk for me. I cannot get my new crockpot in the house, so not cooking much.

    Her really loves my cooking. It just frustrates me some days.

    ReplyDelete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.