Contact Me

Tuesday, May 8, 2018

New Recycling Opportunity

Supermarket Tray, Foam, White, 8-1/4x5-3/4x1, 125/bag GNPW1002



When I go into Publix, I see three recycling bins outside. I "see" them, but I obviously do not see them. Or, they have changed the bins. I did a double take yesterday.

One bin is for "foam trays and egg cartons." Now that I am buying store eggs, I have cartons to get rid of. The foam trays under meat are thrown away. So, now I can keep those out of my trash and the landfill. I looked again today, and the sign says "foam produce trays and egg cartons." So, it appears that foam meat trays are not welcome. I will wash them.

Even if I could put the foam meat trays in my recycling, I would not. Animals would plunder the recycling bin.  Besides, according to our town's recycling website, Styrofoam in one of the things specifically listed that they will not pick up.

I steer clear of fruit on Styrofoam, so this may not be a great win. But, I do buy meat on foam trays.

Wouldn't it be great if everything in my trash can could be recycled?

Do you have a specific place to recycle foam trays? Are vegetable or meat trays welcome?

6 comments:

  1. Around here there is nowhere to recycle meat trays. I wash them and use them to mix paint.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      I wonder if meat trays are washed are they acceptable? Thanks.

      Delete
    2. They are not accepted at Publix even if washed

      Delete
  2. Nowhere accepts them here. Some I re-use but mostly they go to landfill. So where I can I don't buy products sitting on them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC,
      Meat always has the foam tray. I have bought vegetables on a foam tray about once a year because I avoid foam when I can.

      Delete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.