Contact Me

Monday, May 14, 2018

Salvaging Pants/Retro Refrigerator Hangs on Wall

I found a pair of pants with a bleached place on it, so I had black pants that had places bleached to a rather pale peach/orange. I have no idea what was on them, but it was disgusting, so I took them to the laundry a week ago. Then, I rewashed them here at home and hung them to dry.

This pair is a good pair. I took a black marker and colored on the bleached places. The marker places appear darker than the surrounding undamaged area. However, the largest stain is about 9 inches below my waist on the back with smaller places in different places.

When I say "bleached," it was not laundry bleach.

Even if these pants are not wearable outside the house, I will not be wearing a better pair. That is a great win for me.

I use markers all the time to salvage clothes. Do you ever use a marker to salvage something? Other than mending, alternating, using scotch tape or a stapler, do you have a favorite method of salvaging clothing?

I could handle these refrigerators, but I wonder about shorter people.

This ARTICLE has refrigerator styles I have never seen or heard of.

12 comments:

  1. I have a cushion on an antique kitchen stool that has a one inch tear in the leather and the stuffing shows. I took a black marker and filled in the tear and looks good for a month or so and then I have to do it again. The ink apparently bleeds out of the stuffing. I have a bottle of white nail polish I use to touch up chips on lots of things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jean R.,
      Good save. I do lots of temporary fixes. It is easy to redo with a marker on hand. I will have to keep the white nail polish in mind. Thanks.

      Delete
  2. I don't salvage clothes but wear them down and out passed mending.

    ReplyDelete
  3. urspo,
    That is one way to do it. As long as a person does not throw out clothing with life left, even if that life is in a diminished status. Pants no longer fit to go out and eat can eventually become gardening clothing... perfectly acceptable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never used a marker to save clothing but I have been known to use the stapler trick and the sticky tape trick. These days I have a very small number of clothes and tend to wear them until they fall apart

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. kylie,
      I was quite sure someone had used tape of a stapler to salvage something. That is better than tossing them aside and eventually tossing them. It may seem I have lots of pants, but few are in shape to wear out. Thanks.

      Delete
  5. I have used a marker before whenI have gotten those tiny bleach splash marks on clothes. Usually happens on winter duds with long sleeves, so I try to do the couple of loads a month I use bleach with when I am wearing gross clothes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      I have been known to change my clothes to use bleach in the washer. I wipe off the rim of the tub and change back into my clothes that are good ones. When I get bleach on my clothes, it always seems the bleach spots are around my knees. Oh, when I use bleach on my kitchen counter, I will change into a nightgown. I have some nightgowns that would not show little bleach marks.

      Delete
  6. I've used a marker to fill in light spots on a jacket or two that I got at the thrift shop. Works great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. With n sewing skills and lots of mishaps,I have a lot of quick hacks. Scotch tape a skirt hem,anyone else?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have an abundance of sewing skills. So, thankfully I have never had to resort to scotch tape. But, I know people who do.

    ReplyDelete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.