Contact Me

Friday, May 4, 2018

Found Money and Aldi's Quarters

Last week, I found a quarter and a penny right beside each other in front of Walmart. Somewhere else, forgot where, I opened the car door and found a penny.

When I went to Aldi's, I was stymied as usual as to how to get a cart. A woman was approaching the cart thing and I yelled to exbf to give me a quarter and to the woman to let me give her a quarter. So, I did not have to figure out how to work that thing. I have been in the store 3 other times, and have never gotten this right. Two times, I just gave a quarter to someone bringing back their cart. The other time, someone did it for me.

When I came out of Aldi's I watched closely to see how another woman was getting her quarter back. She shoved the cart into the cart rack and walked away.  That was puzzling until I realized she did not get a quarter.

I pushed the cart into the rack and tried to use that little piece of metal on the chain to dig out the quarter. It was not even long enough. So, I looked to the next cart which still had a quarter in it. Finally, I figured out the cart with the quarter had a piece of metal on its own chain. I rammed it into the slot behind my quarter and my quarter was loose.

Since I had his quarter back, I used the chain and metal on the third cart to extract the quarter on the cart the woman shoved in before me. HA!

At the car, he got his quarter. Now, I had a quarter. And, I finally figured out how to work Aldi's cart system.

On Wednesday, I was to receive something like $1.64 in change. The young guy said, "Oh, let me go get ones." I told him to just give me four quarters instead. He did. Later, I dipped into those six quarters to use two quarters to get a Coke from a machine. One quarter would not work no matter how many times I shoved it in the slot. Finally, I looked closely at the quarter that had many sides. I had been given a Susan B. Anthony dollar coin. So, I can add $0.75 to my found money.

That makes $1.27 cents in less than a week. I need to save this, or at least keep a record of found money and then use that much on gifts.

What do you do with money you find? Did you have trouble figuring out the Aldi's quarter system?

18 comments:

  1. found money!! We don't have that cart system in this Canadian city, I rarely find money, you were on a lucky streak!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. laurie,
      Yep, lucky streak for sure. I do find pennies and forget to post about them. It is not often I find quarters, but it happens.

      Delete
  2. Loved this post! Such a simple post, but it brought me so much enjoyment reading it. I have a book that one is supposed to bring on walks and each page tells what you what you tape on that page. Just the things you find on walks. Twig, money, a barrett, a ribbon, a pencil, a leaf, etc. It looks like it would be fun to take when you have a child with you. Or just yourself. You should take a piggy bank! I sometimes find a penny, but I don't have the luck you have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. tana50,
      That sounds like a fun book. I really do need a piggy bank! I hear that people who live in snowy places find money after the spring thaw, lots of money.

      Delete
  3. You could probably make a good living just hanging out at that Aldi's and scarfing up quarters people don't bother to retrieve. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. slugmama,
      As you know, I don't go there often, but I have seen the day in the last week when a quarter would be a good thing to have.

      Tana50, LOL is definitely my reaction.

      Delete
  4. Oh, I forgot. "Find a penny, pick it up, all the day you'll have good luck."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. tana50,
      I say that every time I find a penny!

      Delete
  5. I love found money. I just throw mine into our coin jar. I don't keep track of found money, but definitely love finding it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ms.Goose,
      I always forget to put it somewhere. But, I do love finding money.

      Delete
  6. Since I'm trying to make up my $3600 blip, I'll pick up any loose change. I see people walk away from retrieiving their quartes, but I've been using the same one for years, so I just leave those for someone tha tmight be stuck without a quarter and needs a cart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SAM,
      If I were trying to make up $3600, I would start taking the quarter!

      Delete
  7. A good day - you figured out how the carts work and found money!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One,
      The one time I was in the process of figuring out how the quarters work, a person took it out of my hand, so between being grateful and annoyed, I never got to do it myself! Money never hurts! Good day.

      Delete
  8. We don't have an Aldi's so I can't speak for that. I currently have a little friendly competition going with a close friend. It is who finds the most money for the year. Since we are covered in snow for close to 8 months of the year, I'm pretty sure I'll lose. I did, however, have my first find yesterday. I found a quarter in the grocery store parking lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dime,
      Once the snow melts, all the coins dropped should be uncovered. Maybe you have a chance to get those. Let us know who wins.

      Delete
  9. Our "No Frills" grocery store has used this system for years so I always try to remember to keep a quarter in my jacket pocket.
    We have extra coins here - our $1 and $2 are coins not paper money and we don't have pennies anymore so at the end of the day I always go through the coins in my wallet. I keep about $5 in change and then put the rest into various jars for future use (laundry, lottery tickets, grocery extras).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The quarter in the cart is strange, but very efficient. I don't think I have seen a Susan B. Anthony coin in years, they are that rarely used here. I should have several jars for coins.

      Delete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.